Water Heater Question??

When it rains it pours. Replaced my gas pack last month, come home today to find my water heater leaking. Fortunately it is in the garage. I have found several in stock (Lowes/HD) but, not sure about one thing. The vent size (it is natural gas) is throwing me. My current heater has a 5" vent but I believe that it is double-walled as the vent pipe is not hardly even warm. My question is this, is there a way to find out what the interior vent size is as some are 3" and some are 4". I need to know so I don’t buy the wrong size or, are there reducers that can be used? This is not what I had planned to do this weekend.

Thanks!!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

DF, I don’t mean to be a smart azz, but you are going to take it apart to get the new one hooked up. You already have everything shut off? Drain the tank and get everything unhooked and measure the pipe. Then go get your new heater!

PS; Check the height of the tank as it sits now. The new tanks might not be as tall, so you might need a little more flue pipe?

No smart azz detected. Yep, I have replaced gas heaters before but they were all outside side venting was easier. This one is inside so the vent comes out, turns 90 degrees and goes out my garage wall. I will drain and disconnect the old one, remove and put new fittings on.

Oh and height is the same. Just got back from Lowes with a shiny new water heater. I plan to put it in Sunday. Just what I wanted to spend $400 on.

Most of the hot water heaters are 4" double wall and yes the do make a reducer if you need one !!!

DF the spring on my garage door opener broke. You handle that? 6 pack of your choice

DF, don’t fall for it! The Pee don’t have no garage[:0]

quote:
DF the spring on my garage door opener broke. You handle that? 6 pack of your choice

Believe it or not, I had to replace mine last Summer. And, I have a sophisticated palate, I do not drink Bonzo beer (no offense Carl).

I remember, but The Pee, still ain’t got no garage! It’s a trick.:wink:

I was going to tell him to wait by the curb, I’ll be there shortly.

:smiley:

Sounds like a great opportunity to change to a thankless water heater!

I think the new water heater DF is putting in, is thankless:smiley: How about it DF, are you going thankless:question:

sorry about your water heater df. how sophisticated?

easy - your unprovoked chicanery has been scene, filed, and backed up to the off site vault for future retaliation.

The water heater I am putting in is indeed Thankless, to the tune of $400. I am sure 16bayfisher meant “tankless” and I had been considering them but, after researching them, I don’t like the fact that if you lose power, no hot water. Not to mention, I dropped $3,500 last month on a new gas pack so dropping $800+ on a water heater this month isn’t something I want to do right now. I can just pull the old heater out and replace it with another and hope I get 15 years out of it like the old one. They way things are going recently, not sure what next month has in store for me.

Thanks for all the input and your concern there Pea.