Wavewalk Kayaks?

There are a LOT of new yaks and baords coming out… Cam Mortenson got a new versa board that looks cool…

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
http://www.HeroesOnTheWater.org
Charleston Director- SCKayakfishing.com
Tarpon 160os

quote:
Originally posted by charles
quote:
Originally posted by flygator

Been thinking about a kayak for fishing… I was pretty sold on the Natives, then came across this:
http://www.wavewalk.com/?gclid=CPObrNKbhKMCFQFknAodEwywaw

Anyone ever see/try one of these? What do you all think?

Flygator,

Unlike the others on this forum, I’ve had the pleasure of not only seeing one, but paddling it as well.

Although it’s heartwarming to see that true chivalry isn’t dead, and that people affiliated with certain kayak brands are eager to contribute their comments on kayaks offered by their competitors, the problem in such cases seems to be that the gentlemen in question don’t seem to be well informed, and may even be somehow biased in their views :smiley:

First, you can upload up to 4 w-kayaks on top of a regular car, with no special kayak rack needed- the boats go on top of your regular car rack:

Second, the 500 model offers so much storage that you’d need plenty of imagination to find what to store in it. 14 cubic ft of internal storage is several times more than any type of kayak has to offer.

Third, this yak paddles better than any other yak, including sea kayaks, simply because it tracks better, and on top of of this you can control the location of the boat’s center of gravity by relocating yourself along the longitudinal saddle, and that makes the yak immune to the effect of strong wind, whatever its direction is.
You folks might be interested to read this article about kyaking in strong wind: http://wavewalk.com/blog/2009/07/16/w-kayaking-in-strong-wind/
No one has ever felt the need to outf

quote:
Originally posted by retiredprincipal
quote:
Originally posted by charles
quote:

Been thinking about a kayak for fishing… I was pretty sold on the Natives, then came across this:
http://www.wavewalk.com/?gclid=CPObrNKbhKMCFQFknAodEwywaw

Anyone ever see/try one of these? What do you all think?

Flygator,

Unlike the others on this forum, I’ve had the pleasure of not only seeing one, but paddling it as well.

Although it’s heartwarming to see that true chivalry isn’t dead, and that people affiliated with certain kayak brands are eager to contribute their comments on kayaks offered by their competitors, the problem in such cases seems to be that the gentlemen in question don’t seem to be well informed, and may even be somehow biased in their views :smiley:

First, you can upload up to 4 w-kayaks on top of a regular car, with no special kayak rack needed- the boats go on top of your regular car rack:

Second, the 500 model offers so much storage that you’d need plenty of imagination to find what to store in it. 14 cubic ft of internal storage is several times more than any type of kayak has to offer.

Third, this yak paddles better than any other yak, including sea kayaks, simply because it tracks better, and on top of of this you can control the location of the boat’s center of gravity by relocating yourself along the longitudinal saddle, and that makes the yak immune to the effect of strong wind, whatever its direction is.
You folks might be

I heard that BiggerthanYours. When I look good, I feel good. When I feel good, I fish good. That thing just doesn’t look good.

What about a backrest? If I put a cooler on one “side” is it going to track that way because the weight won’t be evenly distributed?

There is no normal life, there’s just life.

Tarpon 140

Knot the Reel World Fly Fishing LLC

I did a Google search on “Wavewalk kayaks” and there are a lot of posts on forums all over the web about these kayaks - and in most of them, a new poster shows up and offers a long, sales-pitch riddled defense of the Wavewalk (like “charles” provided above) and from what I’ve read, they have a reputation for trolling these kayak forums heavily. I guess they had to come up with some creative marketing for their product!

Yep Greg… Of course when they are challenged to “prove it” they get quiet… I was checking it out and they also offer “additional floatation on the sides”… it looks liek a pool noodle superglued to the side… I don’t know… maybe it is a good platform but unless he puts up I am good with him shutting up. I still can’t get over the knee deep, leg-breaking-if-you-fall wells to stand up in…

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
http://www.HeroesOnTheWater.org
Charleston Director- SCKayakfishing.com
Tarpon 160os

Yeah, the pool noodles…lol!

It looks like something that has potential, and if it was as good as he claims I’d be all over it, but their website w/ all the phony looking testimonials, plus all the things I’ve read on other forums, and not to mention the sky-high price has got me looking elsewhere for my first kayak. Investing over $1200 in an unproven boat is a big price to pay.

Now, if they want to send me one gratis to use, that’s another story :slight_smile:

What would you say the draft is on those craft? A foot? 16 inches?

quote:
Originally posted by ScrambledGreg

Yeah, the pool noodles…lol!

It looks like something that has potential, and if it was as good as he claims I’d be all over it, but their website w/ all the phony looking testimonials, plus all the things I’ve read on other forums, and not to mention the sky-high price has got me looking elsewhere for my first kayak. Investing over $1200 in an unproven boat is a big price to pay.

Now, if they want to send me one gratis to use, that’s another story :slight_smile:

That is what worries me the most. I think the people who have no experience in kayaks and canoes would most likely be misled by the claims. Having been in many boat on many rivers for long camping trips, whitewater kayak and canoeing and kayak surfing in the beach waves I see many problems with this design. A lot of those concerns have already been expressed by the guys on this site who also spend many hours in kayaks. I am very glad you saw through the claims, that don't hold water in my bucket. I actually feel a lot better after reading your post. :wink:

And as for a free boat, I agree. It like bad beer. I will drink one if you give it to me but… I won’t buy one. :smiley:

Charles…where are you??? In your defense,not so much,since you were so quick to jump on others for their opinions. Wondering why you haven’t chimed in once the thread started going against your better than anything else yak? You bad talked other yakkers about their bias about yaks and yet there has been no defense about yours. Why is that? I understand all your websites and videos show the product in a positive light, but talking negatively about local experts opinions does NOT help your cause.
Where is your “chivalry” for you brand??? Have you left the SC market already?
TB2
PS: You show a pic with 4 of your yaks on a SUV. Most cars are rated at (approx 100lbs) weight and your advertising over 240lbs+ (without accessories)for 4 yaks, is this ok on your roof?

TimBuck2
Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5
Wilderness Systems Ride 135

quote:
Originally posted by timbuck2

Charles…where are you??? In your defense,not so much,since you were so quick to jump on others for their opinions. Wondering why you haven’t chimed in once the thread started going against your better than anything else yak?

He’s probably moved on to the next forum :smiley:

I was doing a little searching on the W “Kayak” and found your discussion interesting, so I thought I’d add my $.02.

First, my name is Jim and I have never owned a kayak or canoe before. I got interested in them, as I like to fish the flats here in South Florida and some areas are only accessible by personal water craft. I found the Wavewalk design interesting, as it appeared to have the ability to get where I wanted to go, and also fish standing up (helpful when tracking reds).

The price on these was out of range for my budget, but I found a W500 on Craiglist for a steal @ $450 (turns out that it actually may have been stolen). I may have been a little caught up in the hype (from their website and Youtube) so I pulled the trigger. What I got delivered was a blank (no rigging, handholds, pole holders, no identifying marking of any kind). The boat was otherwise pristine, but had some blemishes on the bench (this may be a factory second). I contacted the owner of the company (Yoav), and he was not able to give me any info on where this might have come from. This was back in March.

So after another couple of hundred getting this craft ridged (I also reinforced the bench and padded it), I am ready to fish. I’ve had it out a dozen or so times since I got it, and here is my noob review (FWIW).

What I like - It is stable. I was able to stand and paddle the first time I had it out. I did not have any trouble moving it through the water (but I have no basis for comparison). It rides comfortably without a backrest as your feet are below you, and whenever I needed, it is easy enough to stand and stretch. After I had it for a while I found that I could turn around in the seat, or even fish with my feet over the side (handy when fishing anchored). I can load it on top of the Murano by myself, but I’m a pretty big guy. I got big beach cart wheel plus some PVC and a couple bungees, and I can push it around like giant wheelbarrow (no problem rolling it over the dunes to the beach). There is also lot

quote:

[quote]

I think there is probably some merit to that. Looking at Kayak Angler Magazine’s website, I was reading an article about a handicapped kayak angler. Under the article are user comments, and one of them, which mentions nothing about the article, is a plug for the Wavewalk.

What do you guys think of this–not of the dumb stunts being played in the video, but of the placement of this ‘ad’ for wavewalk where it is—after the article, look at the responses from readers…
http://www.kayakanglermag.com/blog/editors-angle/713-fish-friday-the-sultan-of-slime-paddles-past-obstacles.html

quote:
Originally posted by retiredprincipal
quote:

[quote]

I think there is probably some merit to that. Looking at Kayak Angler Magazine’s website, I was reading an article about a handicapped kayak angler. Under the article are user comments, and one of them, which mentions nothing about the article, is a plug for the Wavewalk.

What do you guys think of this–not of the dumb stunts being played in the video, but of the placement of this ‘ad’ for wavewalk where it is—after the article, look at the responses from readers…
http://www.kayakanglermag.com/blog/editors-angle/713-fish-friday-the-sultan-of-slime-paddles-past-obstacles.html

It's like a guy handing out business cards at a funeral. How low will someone go for a buck?

18’ CC w/ 115 Yami

I am uncomfortable with it too, but maybe for a different reason. The kayaker is sposored, and his boat is covered with sponsor advertising. The sponsors also get plenty of mention in the story. The story itself is pretty well surrounded by paid advertising as well. I have no problem with any of this by the way.

What comes across as cheesy, in my opinion, is the using of the comment system to get free advertising. WW could sponsor such a kayaker and get all the same promotional value, proving what their boats can do while helping someone.

Speaking of advertising: Did anyone notice one of the boats being advertised on that page is this interesting number: http://www.santacruzkayaks.com/contact.htm
Doesn’t sound like it is production yet, and who knows if it will get there. Just eye catching is all…

quote:
Originally posted by iFly
quote:

I am uncomfortable with it too, but maybe for a different reason. The kayaker is sposored, and his boat is covered with sponsor advertising. The sponsors also get plenty of mention in the story. The story itself is pretty well surrounded by paid advertising as well. I have no problem with any of this by the way…

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>No we are talking about the same reason. Here is my example. A guy dies and his funeral has a “Kiss” band theme. Then some guys shows up and start trying to hock some Def Leppard T-shirts. That ain’t right man. :clown_face:

18’ CC w/ 115 Yami

18’ CC w/ 115 Yami

quote:
Originally posted by retiredprincipal What do you guys think of this--not of the dumb stunts being played in the video, but of the placement of this 'ad' for wavewalk where it is---after the article, look at the responses from readers.... http://www.kayakanglermag.com/blog/editors-angle/713-fish-friday-the-sultan-of-slime-paddles-past-obstacles.html

Wow, I’m impressed by that video, especially the part with the guy trying to dry-hump the kayak over a small rock :dizzy_face:

Something else I noticed from that vid, did you see the amount of flex that kayak had? I noticed that also in the other vids on their page - it looks like the individual sides want to spread apart, flexing in the middle near the saddle. Can you imagine being out in deep water when that thing breaks?

THe author Zach Yurchuck is a pretty good friend of mine. He wrote the story because he is an AVID supporter in the kayak fishing world and wants to spread the word about our sport. Featuring Jon helps get the word out that yak angling is available to anyone, even those some would consider disabled.
As for sponsor vs SPAM - Jon is sponsored by Bass Pro and Kayak Angler sells advertising to pay the bills. Our WW friend chooses to spam up yet another area with an irrelevent post.

Given the opportunity I’d blow away the WW spammers user ID on forums. They never contribute toward discussion, post fishing reports, or provide any “value” to the online community.

Yes, I’m sponsored by a couple of top shelf companies, I own and operate a guide service locally, and if Andy ever asks me to dump items from my signature I will. I’m not on here solely to promote my business. I am on here to promote kayak fishing. It’s what I do and what I love.

Who’s ready for a sleigh ride?
www.kayakfishsc.com
Wilderness Systems Kayak Fishing Pro Staff

I don’t think anyone has a problem with the sponsors (I support that particular sponsor quite a bit). I don’t think anyone has a problem with anyone being sponsored either (wish it was me).

Businesses gotta market. People have to make a living. I don’t think people have a problem with pros posting either. Especially here, where the expert advice/conversation is pretty much what this sites about.

The inline story posting, solely for a free ad, is different. It is simply not fair to the the other businesses placing ads and paying the bills at kayakanglermag. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Then again, if kayakanglermagazine and their advertisers don’t mind, I guess I shouldn’t.

quote:
Originally posted by ScrambledGreg Something else I noticed from that vid, did you see the amount of flex that kayak had? I noticed that also in the other vids on their page - it looks like the individual sides want to spread apart, flexing in the middle near the saddle. Can you imagine being out in deep water when that thing breaks?
There is definitely some give, but IMO the plastic is too soft to break. I was a little concerned that this thing could potentially splay out (I weigh 230+), so tried pulling the hulls apart on dry land and could not get it to give more than 6 inches or so. My guess this is a design trade off for total weight reduction. Personally, for someone my size, I'd have preferred the craft to have a little less give even if it increased the weight some.

I also noticed that when I am out on the water for several hours in the heat, that the hulls will be spread out a few inches. But it always returns back to its original shape.