Weather Sat. Would you go?

What’s everyone’s feelings on the Saturday Weather report. I would be going out to about 100ft out of Port Royal. Sail flow is saying 3.7ft @11secs, reefcast is about 3ft @ 11 sec. The NOAA marine forecast out 20 miles says winds out of the North at 5 knots. So, would it be safe to assume that with the lite winds, I would see mostly rollers spaced out? I’m taking a friend down fishing and he really wants to go offshore, but we do have inshore as an option.

Thanks
Shane

Cape Horn 24xs
Carolina skiff jvx

4’, wind and rain! No stay home. That’s what’s forecasted for today. It’s going to be windy if forecast holds. You’re talking sustained 15-20mph winds. It’s going to be nasty. There will be big rollers with a lot of surface chop. If you’re trolling you’ll be wet, if you’re anchored you may be :stuck_out_tongue:. IMHO, if I saw today’s forecast I wouldn’t be planning anything. Last trip I made was forecasted 10mph winds, 3’ by 10secs and it was absolutely miserable! Wind direction forecasted to change from S to E. That makes it bad too. I’ve come to realize this year as my first year going out a handful of times, if winds are forecasted more than 5-10 throughout the day I am staying home.

Mike Martinez

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s

I like this site since the data from the Navy towers is no longer available:
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/charleston_se_buoy

Click on the maps page and run the forecast forward…been pretty accurate model for me…and Saturday looks iffy, IMO. The model changes so check back to the site for changes. Good luck and be safe.

Well i wondered why the forcast changed since yesterday…#128580;

SAFMC you suck!

Wait till Thursday to decide Shane. I was thinking of going myself. Hammer down

Thanks Monty! We’re planning on trying it, if our teeth can take it. Good to know there may be someone on the other end of the radio!

I’m looking at Saturday as well. I’ll likely sit on the hill if conditions get any worse than they are forecasted now though.

Made our way out to 100’ yesterday at comfortable 22 kts and back in later in the afternoon around the same. Dry ride both ways in a 26 Cat.

The weather reports that have been coming out over the last month will definitely keep most on the hill but as you can see from those who have posted reports, it has been quite nice and a lot of fish have been caught.

Use your best judgement and be safe is what I say. But I can tell you this, you won’t be getting out much if you’re making plans and looking at the weather 4-5 days prior to your trip and talking yourself into yard/house work or a matinee is a hell of a lot easier!

“But I can tell you this, you won’t be getting out much if you’re making plans and looking at the weather 4-5 days prior to your trip and talking yourself into yard/house work or a matinee is a hell of a lot easier!”
I watch the weather as long as I can before I go fishing. After 30 + years fishing offshore, I look forward to “yard/housework” over taking an a$$ kicking from an ill planned trip. A lot easier to sit in a tub of cold water, let my wife whack me with a 2x4, and set $100 bills on fire than to experience a bad weather trip.

A bad weather trip at least once is good in my opinion. Ever since I went on a really rough day I enjoy the normal days a lot better, but I wouldn’t go if it is supposed to be rough, it takes the joy out of it when you can barely standup.

A bad weather trip at least once is good in my opinion. Ever since I went on a really rough day I enjoy the normal days a lot better, but I wouldn’t go if it is supposed to be rough, it takes the joy out of it when you can barely standup.

We went. It was really pretty decent. Rode out at 32-33 and in at 36-37. Left at day break and made it back to the dock around 2, with a box full of bottom fish.

Same here. Went. Wasn’t the nicest day but was doable. Glad we went. Nice box of fish from 110 -120 ft.

I feel the weather forecasters are often guessing. of course I am new to this, so I have a lot to learn.

We went Saturday and I am glad we did. Beautiful day.

As for sitting with my feet in a tub of cold water and talking a beating from the wife, that don’t sound like fun at all…

Follys Best
World Cat 266SC
Scout 15.5