Wed. 5/16

Kind of rough for the nineteen footer this morning. So we decided to fish 90-100’ in hopes that the fish have moved closer. As expected, a pretty slow day. Couple of small Dolphin, king, Biggest Blue Fish I’ve ever seen, missed a Sail, had a cutoff which looked and felt much like a Hoo. And then there was this guy. Caught him in 72’.

at 33 lbs he’ll make some great steaks tonight. Ocean died while trolling and picked up again for the ride home. Go figure.:face_with_head_bandage:

That will make a day for sure. It looks like that’s YFT from the size of the dorsal fin, is that right? Pic is a little small can’t see much else.

21’ Boston Whaler Outrage
‘Big Tease’
Twin 115’s

CHAD, SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD FUN IN THE CANOE. WE HAD A VERY PRODUCTIVE OVERNIGHTER LAST SATURDAY. CALL ME SO WE CAN HOOK UP. WHO RIGGED YOUR BAITS?:smiley: GREAT DAY!

23’ key west
REELIN N DEALIN

quote:
Originally posted by GuyA

That will make a day for sure. It looks like that’s YFT from the size of the dorsal fin, is that right? Pic is a little small can’t see much else.

21’ Boston Whaler Outrage
‘Big Tease’
Twin 115’s

Actually it’s a Blackfin. Good thing too, no permit needed!!

Troy, we’re looking at this weekend to go again (weather permitting). Give me a call. YOU KNOW WHO RIGS OUR BAITS. Also helps when he’s on the boat too:stuck_out_tongue:

first born, good job on the fish, glad to hear there are other small boat fishermen willing to venture out for some action. We were in 100’ about a month to month and half ago and only managed sharks and bonito, I think we were just a little too early. Glad to gear they are finally moving in closer.

Sails Pitch
196 CC Sea Pro
150HP Yamaha
“Get Hooked On The Sails Pitch”

They’ll be on close soon. Saw a lot of bait out there yesterday. And water temp was 72-74.

Rec fishermen don’t need a permit to keep YFT, do they?

coryphaena, rec fishermen do have to have a permit to catch yft, it is some federal permit.

first born, how many lines did you have in the spread.

Sails Pitch
196 CC Sea Pro
150HP Yamaha

Ran 6 lines most of the day. Anything more than 12 knots and we would have had to run five, but as it turns out it was pretty nice yesterday while trolling.

tuna, billfish, and certain species of shark. it doesnt matter who you are, you need a HMS (highly migratory species) permit.

we were pulled in the jetties and given a warning for not having ours on the boat (flew out, long story) - funny thing is, we only had wahoo and dolphin in the box. DNR told us that day that since we had 50wides and a bent butt wire rod, we were targeting tuna so we had to have the permit.

It’s only $28 and I’m sure the fine is much more

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/PermitList.asp

quote:
Originally posted by TripleTail

coryphaena, rec fishermen do have to have a permit to catch yft, it is some federal permit.

first born, how many lines did you have in the spread.

Sails Pitch
196 CC Sea Pro
150HP Yamaha

quote:
Originally posted by HoosOnDeck

tuna, billfish, and certain species of shark. it doesnt matter who you are, you need a HMS (highly migratory species) permit.

we were pulled in the jetties and given a warning for not having ours on the boat (flew out, long story) - funny thing is, we only had wahoo and dolphin in the box. DNR told us that day that since we had 50wides and a bent butt wire rod, we were targeting tuna so we had to have the permit.

What kinda Barney Fife crap is DNR trying to pull these days…All about trying to catch somebody and write a ticket…friggin Mayberry morons…

Guys…be aware…you need the permit to even fish for them (i.e. around them).

Basically…everybody needs one if you plan on trolling.

they can seize your boat and up to 100000$ fine

What make is the 19ft? I got a 19 sea hunt went to the 60 last weekend and it was pretty sketchy. You got some insight on me going to the ledge? What kind of weather am I looking for? Is that stupid?

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast.” ~Ronald Regan circa 1984

just got my tuna permit over the internet took all of ten minutes on phone . easier than getting saltwater fishing license. only 28$ .

I have a 21 sea hunt and went to 330 ft 2 weekends ago . just wait for good weatherand get some trim tabs if you dont already have them my sea hunt has 150 four stroke and when we went to 330 ft trolled most of day I used about 45 to 50 gallons

quote:
Originally posted by greg1

Guys…be aware…you need the permit to even fish for them (i.e. around them).

Basically…everybody needs one if you plan on trolling.

Not debating you Greg1, but Around them?? That is anywhere east of the shoreline… That is one of the very loose interpretations by DNR’s finest that wouldn’t hold water in a court of law. Problem with it is that the tickets they write aren’t for $100,000 they’re for $100, just enough not to make you come to court. You will not be convicted of fishing for a specific type of fish based on the type of reels you have in your boat…there are plenty of other fish out there that can be caught without this permit and for any DNR officer to try to write a ticket based solely on gear is being a D!ck…

I once saw a DNR officer at a dove hunt kill 12 birds, walk to his truck put on his uniform and then come back and charge people for anything he could…Needless to say he wasn’t asked back, and was looking for a different job the following week…Problem is there are too many just like hime out there. I know 2-3 that are standup guys and I trust, but most have a huge ego to trip…

first one, what time did you leave in the morning. I didn’t get passed the jetties until 7am and could only make 12kts to charleston 60. Didn’t catch a thing. I have a quick question i hope you guys can help i mostly fish w/ pogies but if i am trolling w/ ballyhoo what speed should i troll?

quote:
Originally posted by mako22ft

first one, what time did you leave in the morning. I didn’t get passed the jetties until 7am and could only make 12kts to charleston 60. Didn’t catch a thing. I have a quick question i hope you guys can help i mostly fish w/ pogies but if i am trolling w/ ballyhoo what speed should i troll?

We left Wappoo @ 5:30. We were making a whopping 17 knots headed south. Trust me, we didn’t pass anyone! Got our doors blown off by the contenders, regulators, and McKee’s. I think I saw a turtle pass us:smiley:

We typically troll between 4.8-6.1 knots.

FlounderHounder–if your not comforatable, then don’t go. Better safe than sorry. To answer your question, it’s a SeaHunt. I know how and what my boat can handle, and I have a very experienced crew that can run a small boat in the ocean as well. I also have a ton of safety equipment. It’s only been to the Ledge twice…ever. I usually fish 90-100’ and only when the weather is really good.