Weeki Wachee, FL

Not a South Carolina inshore report but a report none the less. We spent last week in Weeki Wachee, FL fishing, boating and scalloping and man what a great week. We went in the Spring and had such a good time we decided to go back and take the boat and kayaks. Had a house on the Weeki Wachee River with the boat docked right out front. It was about a 15 - 20 minute ride out to the gulf as it is an idle speed river all the way due to a heavy concentration of boats and manatees. We fished hard all week and I gotta say, those fish did not cooperate. We caught sharks, ladyfish, undersized trout, catfish and even a sea turtle (yep, I can catch a turtle but not a fish). The scalloping was awesome and if you have not done it, add it to your list. Sorry so long, just wanted to share our trip.

Some of the many manatees seen in the beautiful Weeki Wachee River.

My youngest with his 1st Ladyfish…he didn’t care that it was a Ladyfish, he was excited.

My oldest with one of several under-sized trout. Couldn’t find the legal ones.

Me with my turtle…hey, have YOU ever caught one on a rod and reel?

Our scalloping boat the Sand Flea.

Scallop sitting on the bottom waiting to be grabbed.

The cooler slowly filling up.

Before cleaning

What it looks like after removing the top shell and before sucking out th

NICE pix.

i woulda canned the fishin & stuck to the scalloping.

very cool…scallop eyes!

Yall limit out? A friend just got back from Keaton Beach and this was his worst year he has had in the last 3 years.

Not sure where that is. We went of of Hernando Beach one day (8 gallons - 4 people) and Bayport/Pine Island the 2nd time (4 gallons - 2 people). We limited out both days. They were really pulling them in up in Homosassa and Crystal River.

Great stuff, DF! I’ve always wanted to swim with a manatee or even see one in nature. They are so cool! I’ve yet to see anyone give a sea turtle report here, so I think you’ve found your new niche!

Family looked great! Glad you enjoyed such a fine vacation!

Vinman
19.5 Triumph, 115 HP Honda
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”

Great report and pics. Thanks DF

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.sswaonline.com

Great report…looked like you had lots of fun! How long it take to clean those scallops? I watched a fishing show where they did a scallop trip and also used a shop vac to suck out all the guts…thought that was pretty neat! It be nice if there was a slick trick like that for heading shrimp! :slight_smile:

It took about 30 minutes. The Shop vac saves a ton of time.

barbawang likes this!!!

It was much fun and if you like scallops as much as I do, very, very tasty. We already have plans to go back next year.

It’s great to see a family together having such an outing. Gettin’ the scallops is a great bonus!

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge…Proverbs 1:7