Well then, it's about a well

I washed a well in at about 20 ft.
4-in PVC and a water hose.
Took less than 2 hours. But that’s at the beach nothing but sand.

Up to about 20 - 25 or so feet can use an excavator. Dig the hole to where the water is and then a few feet more, hopefully into something solid. After the hole clears up, insert a culvert with many small holes drilled or cut into the lower part of the culvert. Back fill around the culvert with large gravel, preferably, in the lower part of the hole. Then cover - want to prevent run off from contaminating the well water. Just a general idea here, not precise instructions. Also, don’t know the specific regulations about this type of dug well in SC or GA.

The bigger the culvert the larger the volume of water stored. Even with low flow, this type of system can work since it has inherent storage. I am using one of these right now with a 36 inch culvert that flows about 4 gpm to water about 300 cattle for a tenant. Cows drink a lot.

This basic concept works with springs as well.

Shallow wells are easy. I did one in mt pleasant that was 25’ deep with a pressure washer There are several videos at the university of YouTube on how to do this. You can do it in one day. I actually had water at 14’ down went down to 25’ and had a great supply of stinky water. Only good for watering grass

When I was younger, grandad used the truck to raise and lower the pipe in the ground while water was washing the dirt/sand out.
He took the tire and rim off 1 side, put a spare rim with no tire, wrapped a rope, tied it up,used the foward gear to raise the pipe and reverse, neutral to lower it.

Thanks again to all for the helpful advice, seriously!

Double D, lol that’s cool as chit! I’m 60 and learned so much from my dad. Miss him a lot!

Went and planted 4 blueberry bushes, 3 Legacy, 1 Elliot and couple fruit trees.

UGH, a little huffing and puffing doing that. Driving home feeling like crap.

Got flu shot yesterday and can tell…

Almost forgot, a lot of rye has sprouted up, so hopefully not much damage on the one slope that was planted due to the heavy rain coming.?.?.?

NN

1 Like

Neat way to do an open well. As for regs not sure in Georgia, but in sc we can dig a well ourselves to access water pretty much any way we want, but if it is for household use dhec regs apply.

Doublen I know prices have really gone up, but if you can swing it maybe a Deep well for future additions and use. Always nice to have a good source of clean drinking water. :blush: