Well then, it's about a well

Hello folks,

Got areas cleared and planted a bunch of winter rye. Running late, but enjoyed the process. Got a nice shed put up for tractor and stuff. Have someone coming the 14th for Perk Test, fingers crossed but should be good.

Sooo, my question here is about having a well punched in. I know absolutely zero about this whole process. Please share your thoughts…

I’ve heard 60’, but don’t know. Drill baby drill.

Don’t have power yet, so what about using generator when needed??? 240 volts I’ve been told.
Priming issues or anything due to off and on power source???

Would like to install/add one of those manual hand pump things to use prior to and as It’s fed from an EMC, UGH, that when it goes out, gonna be a bit.

I guess I need to know how much water is needed…Just enough for a small home, but wanna cry once on this as no telling what I may want to water within couple hundred feet or so. Fruit trees and Blueberries for now.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some important question, so feel free to fill me in.

Much appreciated in advance!

NN

Well I’m no help on the well or anything.
You didn’t waste no time with your building. The range up and running?

Try https://hydology.dnr.sc.gov/well-database.html

Then click on Launch Database. You may be able to find some wells in your area to help assess depth to water at your location.

Also, well drillers usually are well informed about local hydrology. Not certain in your area but well drillers have been backlogged in some places and you may want to consider getting in line.

The drillers have an incentive to look deeper, so to speak. Good to do your own research as well (ha).

1 Like

For off grid pumps, there are good solar systems available, and the cost has come down quite a bit. If low head and low flow, not overly expensive. Priming should not be a problem due to on off power only.

If very low flow can put storage in the system to allow for sufficient supply when needed. For a house and small yard it doesn’t take much. One gallon per minute is 1440 gallons a day and roughly 1.5 acre feet per year. A 5 gallon per minute would be considered a lousy well most places.

1 Like

Sometimes the location of a Well is a crap shoot. I had a Customer on one of my Pole Barn’s last February, pick their own spot for their well. The Borers hit water at forty feet, only 4 gpm. Three days later, at 580 feet, still only 4 gpm.

Moved down the grade around 80 feet, and hit 40 gpm at 40 feet.

It’s usually best to let the Boring Company help out with the location of the Well. They seem to have an uncanny ability to find good water.

Not so sure about the Boring Companies having any incentive in drilling a dry hole? Most, that I know, are there to install a quality, efficient, Well as soon as they can.
Since they’re booked out so far, wasting time on a dry hole is just that, a waste of time.

Post some pics Glenn. He has got a nice building up now. He just has to keep the deer from stealing his tractor.

One last note. A deeper hole simply adds volume to the water in the Well.

Your first reply was spot on, but I’ll argue on this one in certain areas. I had good flow at 120 but quality was not so good. Very high sulfur smell and a little metallic taste. put casing down to 150’ and then drilled down to 520. Still had a slight sulfur smell especially when using hot water.

DoubleN, Lane’s well and septic installed some kind of “burper” system that adds air to it whenever the pump first cuts on and got rid of the Bladder tank for a Galvanized tank. Made all the difference in the world. Lanes… (843) 538-6677

Got to watch some companies that don’t put the casing down very deep when doing a “deep” well (400-500’). I don’t know anyone over in Georgia doing wells. Might give Johnny Martin Jr. a call and see how far he’ll travel and price check… (843) 908-3678. Brelands well drilling are good people too… [(843) 538-3340

Who ever you go with ask about the galvanized tank and stay away from the bladder tanks. Mom and dad’s tank is over 50 years old and never a problem… just one pump replacement. Oh yea, and buy a spare pressure control points valve thingy. They will eventually burn out the points and at the worst time… Piece of cake to replace.

Amazon.com

Edit here… Again I don’t know crap about your location and best water depth. this is just what I’ve seen around my little area of the lowcountry. Might have fantastic water at 100’ Me and dad put down two shallow well hand pumps at 20 foot for the cows on his property that worked sort of ok. Water real minerally tasting.

Not to argue, but, my point about the depth of the well is, usually, the depth doesn’t increase the flow rate, only the amount of available water in the hole.

Just a deeper reservoir for the water, and a little insurance during drought times.

Uploading: IMG_6265.HEIC…

![IMG_6263.HEIC|666x500](upload://

gxPHwRWDLKeDaKCINF2C2DrV4ly.jpeg)

Uploading: IMG_6279.HEIC…

I didnt realize you were rich :wink:

Very nice stuff

I might recommend some bollards beside the doors.

Very emvious sir

Not rich, lol. Appreciate it EF.

Also really appreciate all the info on the well drilling, gives me something to go by and ask questions about.

OTC, planned to put targets out this wknd, but limited time with rain and football Saturday got in the way. Have a picnic table under the lean to portion of shed facing down 100yard range and gotta get shooting bench/table done…

Went back today to rip some roots with subsoiler which I accomplished, but got wet twice. Got some more blueberries and couple fruit trees to plant.

Thanks again
NN

OSHA approved???

Nice setup…

LOL OTC, someone else sent me same on OSHA. One of those folks took the pic, haha.

That hoist was heavy to hold, tied a rope to it over the truss and tied off to 4 wheeler.

The pic where you can see down range was prior to some final grading to lower high spot, and has been planted with winter rye.

Rain came at perfect time<<<<YES

NN

Fred, how did you dig the shallow wells??

Thanks
NN

I was only 10ish, but dad borrowed this bit from my Uncle that you attached to a pipe and had a water hose hooked to it. You just kept working it up and down further in the ground. He then put a pitcher/ hand pump on it and made me pump and pump. mostly sandy water at first and then it started clearing up. He said we had to get a basin. He picked two spots and both worked. I remember one only being about 12 feet down and the other 14ish. Probably google it???