Western Trip - Need Help Can't Decide

The wife and I are celebrating 10 years married at the beginning of next year (2/28) and are looking to venture west. We both have been to Vegas, she’s been to California (no need to again), but neither of us have been anywhere else.

We’re trying to figure out if flying west somewhere, renting a car, visiting for a day or two, then driving to another destination or 2 or 3, then flying back from somewhere else.

When we look at the map we get overwhelmed really. There’s really not anything on the map that we’re dying to see, so our possibilities are wide open…

So here I am, in hopes that someone may have ventured on a trip like this before, or may know of a route for us to take to see some sights? Hell, maybe just some suggestions on “must see” places…Yellowstone to Aspen or Denver is only 9 hours.

Thanks for ANY help…this has been a real worrisome experience for me trying to decide what the heck to do.

Do y’all snow ski? I’ve skied in Colorado and it was awesome. The scenery alone is worth the trip as far as I am concerned. You think our mountains are beautiful until you se the Rockies. Grand Canyon?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

We are doing South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana at the end of the month. Getting a car and going for two weeks. I’ll let you know how it goes!

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Come on Ricky, your whole life is a vacation.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Do y’all snow ski? I’ve skied in Colorado and it was awesome. The scenery alone is worth the trip as far as I am concerned. You think our mountains are beautiful until you se the Rockies. Grand Canyon?

I’ve never snow skied. She has…but we’re both older and a bit more fragile…we’d probably take some bar stools over snow skis nowadays.

That’s the deal, I would love to be able to go for two weeks or so and just see everything, but it’s not in the cards. Need to narrow down some stuff, but don’t want to drive past things to see other things, and don’t want to waste time going to the wrong places and driving too much either…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

We are doing South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana at the end of the month. Getting a car and going for two weeks. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Hell yeah man, that sounds excellent. I wish we could take that much time this trip but it just won’t work. 2020 is our travelling year finally.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I lived in Montana for a long time, originally form GA, and it is an amazing place. I would recommend summer/fall for a trip there though. The Pacific NW is also amazing, but that time of year you will likely develop webbed feet from all the rain. With that said, I think you best bet during that time of year is southern Utah. This is a great article and should “steer” you in the right direction for an amazing western road trip/sightseeing. It’s like visiting Mars, without the martians.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/united-states/utah-national-parks/

The big trout fishing is supposed to be amazing in Montana in October…my soul won’t let me go any other time of year.

I’ve not been anywhere else out there except Vegas, but we loved the Denver area. Golden, Boulder and Red Rock are not far and everything is beautiful. I’ll see if I can find some of the pictures…

I went through Redrock last October, certainly worth the drI’ve if you’re in Vegas