Western Vacation--SD, WY, MT

My wife and I went out west for our anniversary. We spent the last two weeks gallivanting around through some of the most incredibly beautiful landscapes that I’ve ever laid my eyes on. This has been a trip that I’ve wanted to do my entire life. A big thanks goes out to a lot of people here that made different suggestions.

We flew into Rapid City, South Dakota, rented a car, and drove west for twelve days stopping everywhere we could imagine to take in the local culture and cuisine. We ended up in Butte Montana and flew home from there yesterday.

We saw everything from Antelope to Bison to Elk to Bears. I wasn’t prepared for all the amazing wildlife that we would run into. The western culture and history were also eye opening for us. Incredible doesn’t begin to describe this adventure.

This is a little taste of our experience…

What the Natives call the Badlands.

The Yellow Mounds.

Sunflower fields were aplenty.
[img]http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/uploaded/23sailfish/201810121654_SD WY MT Vacation

You can see lots of the original drill marks on this shot.

Devil’s Tower.

This was actually very common. If I go out west to hunt mule deer, it will be between Buffalo and Casper. We saw easily several hundred mule deer along the way.

And then I saw this stud and just had to stop and pursue him. He wasn’t sure what to think of me following him down the interstate.

And then he grew tired of me and left.

Independence

This was one pissed off critter. A few minutes later he pulled what I think was a mole from the dirt and proceeded to run off with it. I assume he thought I was challenging him for his food.

The old gold towns were really amazing to experience and walk around.

The Grand Tetons

Probably the most photographed barn in the world. Located in the Grand Tetons. T A Moultan’s barn.

[img]http://old.charlestonfishing.com/

Cody, Wyoming

Probably the coolest museum I’ve ever been in (the dug up gun museum was closed)

Amelia Earhart’s flight jacket.
[img]http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/

Bruiser had been fighting

This is actually passing through Idaho.

An old train town that was left to die and fade away.

The wildlife was absolutely mind blowing.

[img]ht

This guy actually seemed to pose for me long enough to grab this shot, then he took off.

This is a common site to see, pretty much any time of the day.

I’m not sure how many elk were here, but it felt like 500. :smiley:

God bless this world. He spent some extra time on Montana. That’s whitetail wit

Great pics, sounds like an awesome trip. Glad you guys had a good time, I’d like to take my family out west one day.

You know Peapod is going to have a heyday with your use of the word “gallivanting”.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Beautiful Camera work. Thanks for sharing.

WOW! Fantastic post! I really enjoyed the pictures!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Awesome pictures and narrative, Ricky. Well done, sir.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing, 23!

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Looks like an unforgettable trip.

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” - C.S. Lewis

You are one Hell of a Photographer .Those Photos were like a Mini National Geo. with out sound. It is wonderful you finally got to see how beautiful that country is and you were with the one ya love. Good on you

I had an aunt and uncle who did that trip after his stint in wwII. They hunted, fished, camped, and “galavanted for six months. I can only imagine what it must have been like. They talked about it ‘til their death.
Young people…

Awesome pics and an awesome part of our country! Loved our trip out there a few years ago.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
George Orwell

Good for you and your bride!! Awesome pics and read!

NN

By your picts, don’t think ya’ll missed much! Wonderfull trip. Thank for the postings! My son fell in love with the Cody exibits!

Can’t believe she stayed with you this long

Thanks 23

I will probably go back and look at these pictures a hundred times!!!

Dorado II
Carolina Skiff 25DLV