What a crazy double trap catch

In the 330 conibear. This was in a run in front of bank den.

NN

Trap looks small in pic but the 330 is over 10" each way.

Any idea what kind of turtles??

NN

Your resident Beavers have gotten wise. Sending the cooters in first! Very crafty.

Ha, well played. But did get an otter same trap few days ago…

Need a turtle trap now…

NN

Turtle stew???

95% sure yellow bellied sliders, most common one we got I think

That’s what I would guess as well.

DoubleN I’ve had some a long time ago. Tasted kind of “muddy”. Like catching a bream out of a shallow pond in the middle of summer. Some will understand that one. I’ve been told the Yellow bellies are not good for eating and the only decent freshwater turtles are our softshell and alligator snappers. Give it a try! I’ve been told over the years they contain seven distinct types of meat that tastes like pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, veal, fish or goat. That may be an urban legend, let us know!

Ever heard of a “cow turd cooter”? Really, that’s what my aunt called the little “Musk” / “stinkpot” turtle you can catch in our swamps… They really do stink!

Happy Friday to all! Getting jacked up on coffee, ready to go!

I’ve done real good with the caffeine in the last 5 years.
Used to drink a pot of coffee every morning. 4 or 5 mountain dews throughout the day. And 5 or 6 big glasses of sweet tea every night.
And I would sleep like a baby.
I limit myself to one cup of coffee now in the morning. May drink a soda maybe once a month. If we go out and eat if I don’t get a beer I will drink a glass of sweet tea. The reason trying to eliminate the caffeine. Elevated heartbeat. Usually around 65 bpm. But occasionally for no reason my heart rate will jump up around 100 BPM. Even eliminating caffeine my heart rate still occasionally elevates.

They were yellow on the bottom. Those common snappers are great eating with white and dark meat. Same as Fred, I’ve heard the 7 flavors thing, but can’t confirm that.

Need to shoot some soft shells to try as we see a lot of big ones while bowfiswhing.

Nope, lol, never heard of a cow turd turtle…Happy Friday

NN