What About Spoons?

Haven’t been able to get out much this year, but gonna get out for a couple hours after work tomorrow evening and try finding some deeper fish bunched up that will let me spoon feed them.

Anyone tried spoons at all recently? Seems like it should be about time.

Got a decent report that a few were taken on spoons yesterday. I will definitely be giving them a try this weekend…

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Murrymaker

Got a decent report that a few were taken on spoons yesterday. I will definitely be giving them a try this weekend…

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

That’s good to hear. Thanks

Let you know how it goes

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

I haven’t “spoon fed” any yet this year but last year the striper eagerly accepted the 8" and 9" Nichols Ben Parker Magnum spoons. That was a fun bite!

“…be a man and PM me.”

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

I haven’t “spoon fed” any yet this year but last year the striper eagerly accepted the 8" and 9" Nichols Ben Parker Magnum spoons. That was a fun bite!

“…be a man and PM me.”

It sure is! Probably my favorite way to catch them other than maybe topwater.

DF90 Suzuki

Did a whole lot of moving around from the dam to Goat/Spence and only got 2. Both back to back in the same spot in about 55’ off Pine Island.

On side note. As it turned dark, on the way back to the ramp, I cut the motor and decided to just drift a bit and relax and enjoy the relatively cool evening.

I noticed a small boat I had seen trolling earlier turn and head strait for me. Since I was the only other boat out there and they started to head toward me, I figured they were someone I knew and just didn’t recognize.

As they got close I stood up waiting for them to pull up. It was not until they got right up on me and kept going that I realized they never even knew I was there.

This pic was after they passed. They got within about 10’ of me when they passed.

Turns out it was 2 old guys with so much lighting on the boat they couldn’t even see where they were going.

DF90 Suzuki

Wow, close calls like that make my hair stand up hearing about them. A friend was fishing with Hughey Capps years and years ago on Murray and they were running at night from Putnam’s to the Towers and passed really close to a john boat with no lights and when they got to the dam the guys in Hughey’s party were all laughing at how much he must have scared that boat and Hughey says “what boat were you talking about?”

Since I have had a hard time finding my way to saltwater, I’m entertaining learning how to do some freshwater fishing. I’ve seen people fishing in the Congaree River just up from the Rosewood landing. Are they fishing for stripers? Sorry, not trying to derail your thread.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Since I have had a hard time finding my way to saltwater, I’m entertaining learning how to do some freshwater fishing. I’ve seen people fishing in the Congaree River just up from the Rosewood landing. Are they fishing for stripers? Sorry, not trying to derail your thread.

The season will be closed in the Congaree soon, but you can fish C&R above there in the Saluda all summer. Not many places to fish from the bank, but there are places to put your kayak in up there.

DF90 Suzuki

Kayaks we got. I’ll study up on striper fishing the river and maybe give it a shot with my boys.

Had one smoke the Parker today trolling it with downriggers.

Been hammering the fish on the spoon for 3 or 4 weeks but it has been sporadic. You can mark fish like crazy and drop the spoon down and not catch a thing, then move to another spot and they hammer it. I am really starting to like the ole magnum spoon! It usually produces good fish too!

We’re staying till Saturday near the Dreher Island, have spoons but haven’t put them in water yet. Normally we just bass fish, but thought the kids might like spooning so figured we’d give it a try. I have a Helix with a map card and am fairly familiar with Murray. Is there any particular area of the lake or anything I should be looking for on the map to locate striper for spooning? I don’t mind riding, but there’s a lot of water at murray to cover just randomly riding around. Just looking for some guidance.

quote:
Originally posted by kissiah

We’re staying till Saturday near the Dreher Island, have spoons but haven’t put them in water yet. Normally we just bass fish, but thought the kids might like spooning so figured we’d give it a try. I have a Helix with a map card and am fairly familiar with Murray. Is there any particular area of the lake or anything I should be looking for on the map to locate striper for spooning? I don’t mind riding, but there’s a lot of water at murray to cover just randomly riding around. Just looking for some guidance.

60-70’ of water on humps right off the main channel in the evenings. Same depth of water in the mornings but in the ditches off the main channel. Starting around the mouth of bear all the way down to the dam. Just look at your map and check the humps/ditches… if you can find 3-4 fish grouped together set up on that spot and drum/chum and they will come. Usually takes 20-30min (sometimes less) to get them really churned up under the boat.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Murrymaker
quote:
Originally posted by kissiah

60-70’ of water on humps right off the main channel in the evenings. Same depth of water in the mornings but in the ditches off the main channel. Starting around the mouth of bear all the way down to the dam. Just look at your map and check the humps/ditches… if you can find 3-4 fish grouped together set up on that spot and drum/chum and they will come. Usually takes 20-30min (sometimes less) to get them really churned up under the boat.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully wind will die down this afternoon and we’ll give it a try.

Last year we rented the same house and the striper schooled on top right across from us. Took the kids out every morning, they loved it. Been here since Saturday, so far haven’t found them on top. Done pretty well with the bass though.