What ever happened to our Recipe section?

I finally found my favorite shrimp and grits recipe… got scared, the wife came through. She always knows were I loose stuff at. What ever happened to our Recipe section? I got some pretty fantastic stuff from there.

Found my old cat fish stew recipe. Got some fish going on 6-8 months that will be “cat fish” stew.

1 Like

I would like to see that catfish stew recipe. I need to start following a recipe instead of just winging it.haha

1 Like

I hate to say that I can’t find an old hash recipe from buddy’s grandma. Remember some of it but dang, been awhile…

Picked up some hash today, and son got on me. He was like dad, we need to make that hash you used to make, lol.

Love some shrimp and grits.

Penny was the best on here for recipes!!!

Hope her and Donnie are doing well.

NN

1 Like

My mother’s crab rice recipe. Was hoping to catch enough crabs while on vacation to make some but, it was not to be.

I always parboil my fillets first and discard water. chop up and pre crisp bacon, I’m looking at my hand written recipe and it is lacking a few measurements (the wing it factor) 4lbs cat fish, 2 packs of bacon, Can or two of cream corn (secret ingredient), Potatoes peeled and sliced plus whole small reds, Celery, onions, 2 bell peppers, stewed diced tomatoes, can of tomato paste, 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon thyme.

Some hold out on the ketchup I like it. I always keep texas pete by the crackers instead of adding it while cooking. Some in my family don’t like spicey stuff.

I’ve done this with several species of fish. I don’t usually let them stay in the freezer past a year, but when I see fish starting to get old and no fish fry in sight I’ll put them in stew. Spot tail adds a good flakey texture, unlike the mush cat fish becomes. I still parboil and discard water, I do not like overly strong “fishy” tasting stew.

I wish i could do better on how much diced and whole tomatoes I used? I’ll have to make a batch and report back with better measurements. I’m disapointed with myself for actually writing this down but missing measurements… Guess I thought my memory is better than it is at the time.

Hey Fred, while you’re in the mood to share recipes, care to offer up the one for that cobbler, with Mt. Dew, you mentioned in the What I ate forum?

Some “hand me downs”

The box and most of these were granny fishers from back in the day when men were men, and the women were proud of it

1 Like

Neat Stuff, EF! I have a couple of similar tins myself. One from my Grandmother, on my Mother’s side, and one from my Great Grandmother, on my Fathers side. My Great Aunt, Dorothy, (Dot) was famous for her Toll House cookies 'round these parts, but never shared her recipe.

A while back I was browsing through one of those tins, and came across a card reading “Dot’s Toll House Cookies” in the Tin form my Great Grandmother, on the other side of the family. I’ve tried the recipe a few times, and the cookies turned out very good, but not quite as good as Aunt Dot’s. My guess is the only ingredient missing, is the love she poured into the mix, while preparing them for us? :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll get with the wife, she basically banned me from it after I ate pretty much the whole thing. :grinning:

Here is my favorite way to have shrimp and cheesy grits. I like them all mixed together this will feed 6 ish with no leftovers. Double the batch is easy. I like lots of shrimp in mine if you have small 80-100 count you can leave em be. but the bigger shrimp I cut up into bite size pieces.

4 cups chicken broth
1 cup grits… ok stone ground are best, but instant works
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 table spoons of real butter
2 cups shredded cheese
1 pack bacon
2-3 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
pack of lil smokes chopped up / or browned ground sausage of choice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 table spoons chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves of garlic
6 or more green onions chopped up
1 bell pepper chopped up
Old bay to taste

Brown the bacon and set aside leaving grease in pan, add all vegetables and soften up in bacon grease, set them aside, I season my shrimp with a little more old bay and add Worcestershire and lemon juice and just a little more butter saute lightly don’t over cook because they will still cook when you add to grits. Put everything in fry pan and set off heat. You will have some water/juice from shrimp, but this is ok the grits will need it.

If you do little smokies just add them to the cooking shrimp. If you do sausage pre brown and drain grease, you’ll have enough grease from bacon don’t want to over do it.

Put the butter in in the chicken broth along with old bay (palm full) bring to a boil and slowly add grits. When grits are done add Cheese, then add your frying pan of vegetables, shrimp and bacon to grits bring up heat and mix well. If too thick add a little milk to mixture. Enjoy. If you want you can cut up a little extra parsley to sprinkle on top to make it look nice.

guaranteed to get several pieces of shrimp in every bite.

Never tried this but some of y’all might be interested or could say if it’s worth a try