What happened to lumber

It’s been a long time since i bought more than a few boards. I’m building a 12x40 storage building. I was having some issues getting my perimeter boards all flush & level then i figured out why.
Some of the 2x6 where 5.5, some 6, some 5, and some boards had varying depths down the board. This was from Lowes so i tried Home Depot & a local place & it was all of them.
Now i just got a bundle of 2x4 studs & they have various thicknesses.

When did this crap start. I mean how hard is it to get the boards all the same.

That is odd, with all the sophistication in our Mill’s Log cutting equipment. My biggest issue in lumber is it being taken from smaller/ younger trees with no grain and strength.

Guess we can put that in the category of Quality Control. Not a lot left with the older workforce disappearing and the “don’t care” crowd moving in. imo

Just trying to find straight boards without a ton of knots at Lowe’s is a chore. Even their “premium” lumber sucks. I spent 30 minutes digging through a pile trying to find 16 decent boards to redo my steps a few months ago. I guess like everything else, we just have to get used to less quality.

Yeah it’s tough to get good quality unless you pick through it like stated above. For reasons beyond control quality workmanship has been slipping for some time and seems like it’s being accepted without pushback. Times have changed my friend.

Here’s the Lowe’s lumber sourcer

I like Lowe’s because they’ll deliver what you order for $20 to Lowe’s Pro cardholders, Home Depot is like $90

Good luck building!

Go through Southern Lumber and delivery is free. F *&$ Lowes and HD. Especially LOWE’s

Good idea, same for Builders First Source if one’s nearby

How about 84 Lumber?

I like Bill at Hollywood Hardware and that’s usually where I get my stuff. That store has got just about anything you could ever need!

My local hardware is a lot better than Lowes but also a lot higher. If it a small order I’ll get from them but with such a large order for this project I’ll save a heck of a lot of money with Lowes.

LOCAL lumberyards, pay more for good quality.

Get off the Lowe’s HD habit for good if possible.

1 Like

I feel your pain reeldrag. It’s almost better to go with concrete and steel nowadays.

If y’all think wood is outrageous, you haven’t priced concrete, lately!

Yep, and Plantation mix rock, Shingles, … Pretty much everything!!

$245 a yard for 5,000 PSI fiber reinforced. On a 35-yard order.
To show you how Petty I am.
I canceled a $17,000 plywood order over $100 delivery fee from Lowe’s.
It was only like 7 MI from the store.

But they have complimentary umbrellas if it’s raining outside

Good grief, I’m just reading this…■■■■!

NN

Concrete is how i have always went in the past but it like everything else is going through the roof. Since my crack head family member pawned all his Concrete tools i decided to go with a wood floor on this project. Never expected lumber quality to be so bad.
I guess Biden must have appointed the people running the saws or maybe admin for this site, one seems as bright as the next on how to run something.

2 Likes