what in the world

i collect silver so i bought this because if it silver great if not ill return it. but why does washington have a beard and glasses. Could it be really rare or is it just defaced?

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.

[/URL]

Its defaced, cool nonetheless. 1946 should be silver, but I may be wrong. Can’t remember when the mint changed metals.

fish today work tomorrow
The Bi Polar Express
Sportsman Masters 227

I think they started changing metals around 1964.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Yep anything 1964 and earlier should be silver as far as dimes and quarters. Think nickels are different. That looks like someone did that themselves.

Lots of good info here
http://cointrackers.com/

2012 Carolina Skiff J14, 25 Merc, Jackplate

Jimmy, you better keep that one! If you really want to get rid of it, sell it to me.

I will give you 25 cents for it…

If it not a fake its 90 percent silver. pretty cool though.

[/URL]

only nickles that are silver were war nickles made in ww2 to conserve nickle. steel pennies were aslo made during ww2 for a year to save copper for war efforts.

[/URL]

From the picture it “looks” silver. Proper shading of tarnish and such. Take it and a newer quarter and drop them one at a time on the counter or other solid surface. Silver one will make more of a dull thud than the higher pitch ring of the copper/nickle clad newer one. Also I know the silver one weighs ~6.2g and the newer ones are lighter, somewhere around 5.7 or 5.6g

2012 Carolina Skiff J14, 25 Merc, Jackplate

There’s an easier way… Turn the quarter on its ridges and inspect. Silver quarters are silver on the ridges… Copper ones are copper-toned on the sides.

As stated before, all GW quarters prior to '65 are silver.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

I took a gallon jar of change to the bank last week and dumped it in the coin machine. It spit me back out 4 pre 64 silver quarters that I didn’t know were in there :sunglasses: And 2 Canadian quarters. I guess they don’t weigh the same.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I took a gallon jar of change to the bank last week and dumped it in the coin machine. It spit me back out 4 pre 64 silver quarters that I didn’t know were in there :sunglasses: And 2 Canadian quarters. I guess they don’t weigh the same.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>BANK!!! You mean a place with people? A building with doors and you took, um… what did you call those things?? Quoins?

Trying to remember seeing one of them Quoins/Koy Ins/Cones, etc… being uses.