What kind of snake is this?

Killed two so far this morning doing yard work.

I think it’s a banded water snake. It’s harmless.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I agree with cracker. was it’s belly a little orange or pinkish? Had two in my Goldfish pond. Started noticing the lack of frogs and missing fish. Got them both at night.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I wouldn’t kill them, they are good snakes and eat a lot of critters that you don’t want. Mice and rats and such. It was probably driven to higher ground from all the rain. We always have more snakes in the yard with a lot of rain. Let them be. They won’t hurt you.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I wouldn’t kill them, they are good snakes and eat a lot of critters that you don’t want. Mice and rats and such. It was probably driven to higher ground from all the rain. We always have more snakes in the yard with a lot of rain. Let them be. They won’t hurt you.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Better to dispatch snake than deal with wife. And yes I’ve been called a sissy for doing such from other members on this site… I’ll take it. :smiley: I will not kill a King Snake… on purpose.

oh… I do have a black racer that hangs out by my little workshop that is away from the house. I like him, he can stay.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I don’t kill snakes. They’re there for a reason. If you have copperheads, cane breaks and rat snakes around you have snake food around - rats & mice. I do re-locate snakes - and in the wild I realize that its their home.

My scary snake story = I was hunting from a tree climber and I heard a strange noise in the leaves. it was a steady movement noise. I looked and looked and couldn’t see anything. then I saw it - a cane break rattler around 6’ long. It stopped at the base of the tree I had climbed and stayed there. I would look for the deer - then look down at the rattler. As darkness fell I couldn’t see the snake any longer. Silence - so I knew it was still there. It was black dark and even with my flashlight I couldn’t make out the snake. I climbed down and shifted around to the other side of the tree. I stopped 4’ from the ground and jumped as far away from the tree as I could. I heard it rattle and I took off , coming back the next day to get my climber! A clean your pants moment!

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

I don’t kill snakes. They’re there for a reason. If you have copperheads, cane breaks and rat snakes around you have snake food around - rats & mice. I do re-locate snakes - and in the wild I realize that its their home.

My scary snake story = I was hunting from a tree climber and I heard a strange noise in the leaves. it was a steady movement noise. I looked and looked and couldn’t see anything. then I saw it - a cane break rattler around 6’ long. It stopped at the base of the tree I had climbed and stayed there. I would look for the deer - then look down at the rattler. As darkness fell I couldn’t see the snake any longer. Silence - so I knew it was still there. It was black dark and even with my flashlight I couldn’t make out the snake. I climbed down and shifted around to the other side of the tree. I stopped 4’ from the ground and jumped as far away from the tree as I could. I heard it rattle and I took off , coming back the next day to get my climber! A clean your pants moment!

That’s where you’re better than me. I’d have shot the snake, to heck with spooking the deer!

Thanks for the replies. I don’t usually kill snakes either but I had my two boys outside with me (2 & 3 y/o) and I wasn’t taking any chances. I once found a copperhead under my back door when I was cleaning up for an oyster roast. Stepped 6 in from him. I killed that snake.

Have to admit [:I] Free roaming snake observed “any kind” = no wife , supper,ect, ; removal of said snake by any means, dead ,or far far away removed,= wife and benefits restored.:smiley::smiley: What do you think i’m gonna do???:wink:

George McDonald ; Board Member ; MAD Charleston
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

They all look like pythons to me…even the tiny ones
…and when I see what I always heAR RUSS laughing as he loved to torment me about my fear of them :slight_smile:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Had a copperhead crawl in a ground blind with my daughter and I once. He had crawled over a bunch of leaves and was going past the leg of my daughters chair when I spotted it.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson