What’s your favorite arcade game?

Rainy morning, thinking back to the innocent kid days of summer evenings at the arcades.

My dad is from New England and we’d go visit family every other summer or so, spend about a week on a boardwalk town in NH with a concert hall and full arcades.

Pop the balloons with darts to win a poster of a bikini clad woman washing a Lamborghini (yes, it spent years on my bedroom wall), and all the other cool stuff.

Full shooting gallery set up as a Wild West saloon where everything in the room had a target and did a trick when you hit it

My dad would throw all his change into a office type water jug all year long, and when we were getting ready to drive the 2 days up there, he’d let us pour it all out and put the coins in the paper tube envelopes. Turn then into the bank and get bills, keep the quarters in the rolls, that was our spending money and mine went to the shooting gallery and skee ball.

Skee ball was the best ratio of quarters to tickets that I could ever find, because once you found the one that accidentally kept giving you balls back, and you were in the groove, you could get one of those strings of tickets that was like 10’ long and still only ended up getting you like 88 pixie sticks and a pocket full of army men

What’s your favorite arcade game/memory?

Defender! I actually turned the score over, twice.

My kid got a little trigger happy first time she shot the full auto pellet gun, but I’m pretty sure we all did

Took skillz!

For a time reference I graduated high school in 1985. We had an arcade here and I would say Joust, dig-dug, pac man, space invaders, and frogger were my favorites. Can’t pick one.

My brother in law picked up a full size video arcade machine with a bunch of different games on it. We’ve wasted quite a few hours on it. I think he got it at Coscos for a little over a grand. Wife won’t let me get one, says I’m already too childish.

1 Like