What say you Bart!

Now that Golf is back in the Olympics, are Golfer’s considered athletes? I know your stance on NASCAR drivers! Make your case!
(cut and paste)
The modern Olympic Games or Olympics (French: Jeux olympiques[2]) are leading international sporting events featuring summer and winter sports competitions in which thousands of athletes from around the world participate in a variety of competitions. The Olympic Games are considered the world’s foremost sports competition with more than 200 nations participating.[3] The Olympic Games are held every four years, with the Summer and Winter Games alternating by occurring every four years but two years apart.

Easy I know nothing about golf. The best Super Speedway race car driver who ever lived was David Pearson. He smoked cigarettes while he was racing.

Oooh, oohhh… How about this answer: “When NASCAR is an Olympic sport, then we can consider the drivers athletes”

That being said, are these guys athletes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCj92zA0tU

And what does it say about NASCAR that THis is an olympic sport, but NASCAR is not?

One more thing… I NEED THAT HORSE!!!

How about the Pit crew? Those boys are certainly Athletic.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Oh Lord, not this again.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I may have some question about Curling! IF that is considered an Athletic Event, Pea Pod and I, are World Class Athletes[:0]:face_with_head_bandage::smiley:

I say, if they teach something during PE in school, then it is considered a sport.

Badminton, kick ball, double Dutch, bowling, and yes golf.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Never thought about the pit crew skinneej! In that case the guy’s at Gerald’s Tire, should be supported as they may be training for the Olympics!:wink::smiley:

If you can’t be athletic, be an athletic supporter…

Oh no you didn’t 23:face_with_head_bandage: I want to hear from Bart:smiley: Pea Pod and I are starting up the CFC Curling Team! I think a team consists of 3 members! 1 to throw the stone and 2 to sweep the ice, for what reason I don’t have a clue! I’ll do the throwing, as all that sweeping looks like work! So, we need 1 more sweeper, any volunteer’s:question: We have 2 years to practice! All we need is some ice! May we can get some from Ladyshrimpkilla, 6 or 7 hundred pounds should do it:smiley:

Saw this last night, but had to think about it.

In my humble (but accurate) opinion, NO, golfers are NOT athletes. What they do takes a ton of skill and ability, but so does being an architect, teacher, fishing guide, or a myriad of other professions. Just like race car drivers (and pit crew members), there are elements of athleticism, but they’re not athletes by default based on the sport in which they participate.

They don’t even carry their own flippin’ equipment…:wink:

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

I knew you would be along! Here is the definition of an Athlete! Do Golfers fit:question:http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/athlete

Do you consider Charles Barkley to have ever been an athlete? If you do, have you ever seen him try to hit a golf ball[:0]:face_with_head_bandage: How about Rock Climbers or Free Divers or Spec Op Soldiers or Special Olympic competitors? Careful now Bart!

By definition, if you are in the Olympics, you are an Athlete! Doesn’t matter, what anyone else thinks of that sport! They are just wrong! So, you’re Wrong Bart!
I know you like to ponder and sleep on it, so will be waiting with baited breath, for your rebuttal tomorrow morning!

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

I knew you would be along! Here is the definition of an Athlete! Do Golfers fit:question:http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/athlete

Do you consider Charles Barkley to have ever been an athlete? If you do, have you ever seen him try to hit a golf ball[:0]:face_with_head_bandage: How about Rock Climbers or Free Divers or Spec Op Soldiers or Special Olympic competitors? Careful now Bart!

By definition, if you are in the Olympics, you are an Athlete! Doesn’t matter, what anyone else thinks of that sport! They are just wrong! So, you’re Wrong Bart!

What they do takes a ton of skill and ability, but so does being an architect, teacher, fishing guide, or a myriad of other professions.

I know you like to ponder and sleep on it, so will be waiting with baited breath, for your rebuttal tomorrow morning!

Look at my italicized quote above, Mr. Norm. I fully concede that there are elements of athleticism involved in golf. However, that doesn’t automatically make golfers athletes. I’m aware of the dictionary definition of what an athlete is, but it’s just hard for me to look at Gronk or Lebron, and then look at Tony Stewart and Craig Stadler and conclude that they’re all one in the same…

“How about Rock Climbers or Free Divers or Spec Op Soldiers or Special Olympic competitors? Careful now Bart!”

And to answer your question, ALL OF THE ABOVE are 100% athletes.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Did you read your own definition? "that require physical skill and strength"

I think by definition most rec fisherman are athletes. For example being taught by your elders, doing 12oz curls all day, while running around a boat deck dogging flying hooks, enduring rain, heat, cold, wind, tying knots, putting up with being waked out, and driving fast to your spot …Strength, skill, agility, trained, and stamina. Any thoughts?

I think John Kruk said it best. He was approached by a lady at a social function in Philly. She told him she really admired him as an athlete. He replied, “Sorry ma’am I’m not an athlete, I’m a ballplayer”.

skinneej, you’re cherry picking! Your as bad as a Liberal! Why not quote the whole thing! ( a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina) I want to see Lebron, or Gronk, with all their physical skill and stamina, hit a golf ball as far as Bubba Watson and land it where they want it! And Bubba, never had a coach or took a lesson[:0]

If rowing a f’king boat is considered a sport, why wouldn’t driving a car?

Let’s face it. Some sports just don’t fit into our own personal molds of what a sport should look like, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t. Just like I can name over a dozen baseball players and football players that are so over weight, you wouldn’t in a million years think they are playing a sport, but nobody argues that baseball and football are sports. I saw a 400# kid playing baseball. Just because some people don’t look athletic doesn’t mean an activity isn’t a sport.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thank you Geronimo, my point exactly! You take a great big slob of an NFL line backer and give him a Ping Pong paddle and some itty bitty Chinese girl, will beat him to death in a game!

ESPN broadcasts the spelling bee. Hash that one out.