What y'all using

to get rid of oxidation on headlights?? I’ve heard of toothpaste, baking soda, etc.

Thanks in advance.

NN

This is going to sound crazy, but my son sprayed some bug repellent on his sisters lights and then rubbed it off. It actually worked. That said I’ve got two rangers that got bug spray on them and it totally destroyed the windshield? different plastics?

They make some kits that are sold at your local auto parts stores that I’ve heard work well?

let us all know what you find that works! I just ordered some new headlights for an older Ford for the same issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

This is going to sound crazy, but my son sprayed some bug repellent on his sisters lights and then rubbed it off. It actually worked. That said I’ve got two rangers that got bug spray on them and it totally destroyed the windshield? different plastics?

They make some kits that are sold at your local auto parts stores that I’ve heard work well?

let us all know what you find that works! I just ordered some new headlights for an older Ford for the same issue.

Thanks for the reply. Sons girlfriends car so dont wanna mess anything up[:0]…

NN

Do not repeat do not use bug spray or repellant , it softens the plastic and will shortly destroy it , auto parts stores sell a workable product and polishing bonnets that will do a reasonable job…

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Bug spray and the like will look good for a few days and then it will be worse than before. It melts the plastic a little allowing it to polish up and then allows it to be scratched and craze over again. You’re probably better off replacing it unless you’re trying to pull a Kurt Russel “Used Cars” :clown_face: kind of quick fix sale. I’ve replaced several vehicle lights through Autoanything.com and rockauto.com with good pricing. Whatever you do only use something on the surface that is made specifically for HL restoration.

You gonna talk or FISH!

I use Meguiar’s “PlastX” clear plastic cleaner & polish. I originally bought the Mother’s headlight restoration kit, but the stuff didn’t last long in the bottle. I’ve had the Meguiar’s for about a year & it’s still good. I use the foam ball that came with the Mother’s kit. I clean the wife’s headlight lenses every few months.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069
Custom Aluminum Fabrication

I use 3M fine polishing compound. It cleans them up pretty good.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

crest paste and baking soda

I tried all of the above and none worked for my 2000 ram headlights. I ended up buying and installing new headlights. It was worth it.

j

quote:
Originally posted by jisuho

I tried all of the above and none worked for my 2000 ram headlights. I ended up buying and installing new headlights. It was worth it.

j

I did the same with a 2006 camry a few years ago. I bought new on-line ones with bulbs, etc. included for about ~$100 delivered. Sold the old ones for $40 on CL…

If it is a mass produced/high volume vehicle, the after market prices are cheap…

RBF

I did my infinity recently. Wet sanded with 200 then 600 all over the lens, then polished with Shurhold buff magic and my orbital buffer…they look good as new! Don’t be scared to wet sand them, I did it too lightly the first go around and when I polished there were still imperfections. I believe maguires sells a kit for the polish too, but I just used what I had from the boat.

3m kit is the best available. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/3m-lens-renewal-kit/0000000096183?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqLnXrdac2wIVAq_ICh0_iAx2EAQYDyABEgL_TfD_BwE

Buy new ones
Then
Install X-Pel or similar clear headlight protector. 3m Clear Bra is another example.

My 90k mile 2010 Tundra headlights are still like new.

I also quit trying to clean, clear them up. I bought some new housings with bulbs already installed for about $100 for my beat up daily driver Altima. Way easier.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki