When to hang up boating to fish

I like that pee pipe idea!

I am 71 years old and sold my boat, a 2014 Pioneer 222 Sportfish this April. I bought it new at the boat show when I was 62. It was purchased as an offshore fishing boat primarily, with family cruising capabilities as well. My primary fishing partner and myself fished it often; trolling for dolphin, bottom fishing and we even overnighted at SW Banks several times.

The weather seemed to be more favorable then, or maybe we didn’t study it as hard. That seems to have changed lately with fewer days fishable in a small boat. He became involved in other things and less available, the girls grew up and moved out and we now have a couple of doodle dogs as well. Although I am in good health and still able climb from the trailer over the bow to launch by myself, my stamina isn’t what it used to be and my cleaning crew moved out!

The last two years I didn’t feel like I used the boat often enough to justify the expense of keeping it; taxes, insurance, storage fees, Sea Tow, and maintenance etc. Charleston Marine brokered the sale and did a great job. It was time and I have not had any regrets. Most males in my family never made it past 69. I feel fortunate to have broken the curse. Good cigars, good food, good bourbon and a good wife must be the trick.

I cut the bottom out of a half gallon milk to use for a pee bottle and kept it in the live well.