Where do they go during mid day?

I dont have problems finding stripers early in the day or late in the day, but after about 9-10am the bite stops for me just about every time I fish. Where do they go and how can I get them to bite?

This time of yr the bite should stay strong all day. At least in my experience. In another week or so they should even be schooling mid day especially if we have some cloud cover that day. But in another 2 months with warmer temps the bite does seem to slow down mid day. It’s really more of them not feeding or being active midday when it’s hot. You can be all over them and they will just stop for some reason.

This probably doesn’t answer your questions but it’s the best I have for ya.

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

perhaps I gave up to easily, during the summer months mid day is definitely tough for me, but I had not thought it would be good all day this time of year, but that makes sense.

2012 DLV 198 Carolina Skiff
Humingbird 998 Side scan and GPS
GPS trolling motor
My Cherokee indian name is asuvsgi nahna adadudi or Fishes on Credit

During the warmer months they pull up to the Rusty Anchor to get some shade and a drink. Well, that’s what I do.

Rich - Rusty Anchor is no longer the only option on the lake … Liberty is now open … although we prefer to find a shallow area close by to where we’re fishing and break out the grill and throw the kids in the water … :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Genehunter - Murraymaker is right on the money

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

Perhaps this week I will stay and see what happens throughout the day. I can always learn some new tricks. by the way we are looking for a place to take a lunch break. I hear liberty has a dock. Think I may try it out this week and at least I can report back on the bite at liberty worst case. :slight_smile:

GPS trolling motor

quote:
Originally posted by Lawcrusher

Rich - Rusty Anchor is no longer the only option on the lake … Liberty is now open … although we prefer to find a shallow area close by to where we’re fishing and break out the grill and throw the kids in the water … :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Genehunter - Murraymaker is right on the money

I knew those days, but my kids are gone to college now. My current boat is a little small for a grill, however I will check out Liberty, as it doen’t care where I drink lunch:smiley:

Gene. Don’t be scared to put those boards up tight on the banks. Midday after we have had this little cooler weather that water will be warmer and the fish and bait will be sitting there…couple weeks ago that 15# fish we caught in the SBCC came about midday in about 4’ of water. After the sun had been warming. And we doubled up on that spot and caught a few more there. All in super shallow water midday

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

Very good information, thanks a million guys, most useful information I have gotten off this site yet.

GPS trolling motor

The cut bait bite is not a bad idea when the water really heats up and there is no real specific time the fish bite…just need to find the right spot.

what exactly is cut bait, I mean I know what a carolina rig is and cut bait inshore, but what do you use for cut bait with Stripers? Herring?

GPS trolling motor

I’ve always used herring fishing cut bait on the lake, but I’m sure gizzard shad or any other fish on a striper’s menu would work.

Find yourself a nice defined point, double anchor to hold the boat still and just cast out your baits all around the boat, so you’re covering some different depths. Standard carolina rig, but using a short leader will make it easier to cast. Leaving some slack in the line lets them pick up the bait and start running before feeling the weight of the sinker. Keep the drags tight enough to set the hook good once they pull out the slack.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

^^^^^ and chum chum chum … LOL

When cut bait fishing I like to use a rod holder with at least a 30 deg. rise. It seem to make a big difference in detecting a strike and when the fish hits he has some action from the rod to help set the hook!

Thanks Tim and everyone else. Appreciate the information. hopefully this will improve our results this spring and keep us out of the salt water some. We would rather stay closer to home, Lake Wateree or Murray since driving to Edisto gets to be too much like work these days. Going out this morning, will let you know how I do laters.

GPS trolling motor

Genehunter,

If you (or anyone else) want to know more about cut bait fishing then go to this webpage - print the webpage - study the webpage - follow the advice on the webpage - post your results on this webpage … :smiley::smiley::smiley: … Repeat the last two steps as much as you can … :wink:

http://www.tnstripers.com/chumming.htm