Where’s the trout?

I’m on Seabrook and understand the trout are around. What is best bait?? I really need to catch one so I’m not skunked this week

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
You might have opened a can of worms.
So I’ll be the first to give you my opinion.
First is live shrimp.
And yes I have seen artificials out fish live shrimp a many a Time.
My go-to artificials are a trout eye jig head. With a paddle tail or a trout trick .
And I’m also a big fan of voodoo shrimp.
You can also catch him with mud minnows.
I’m sure everybody will mention fish them slow.
Let us know how you do.

I’ve been doing good with the trout tricks and Vudu shrimp but yesterday I fished 5 hrs, mostly incoming tide, and simply could not find them. Not so much as an undersized one, NOTHING! First time in a long time I’ve been totally skunked.

That’s why I say I’m going for a boat ride so no one asks if I caught any feesh

:joy::fishing_pole_and_fish:

1 Like

Try a little deeper and a little slower while temps are in the low 50’s. Lighter color baits in clearer water, darker in dirtier water. Moving water, eddies, points and structure… that’s all I got right now.

I’ve been catching more reds than trout. Still seeing some sizable ones in the creeks. Buddy has caught more trout, paddle tail, slow retrieve, a little deeper.
Caught this one yesterday, and some under slot.
Bouncing TRD Finesse off the oysters.

Its super easy to get skunked in winter trying to find trout. Just know that they are usually bunched up this time of year and that means if you don’t find the bunch you find nothing. They will probably be in the deeper parts of the creeks now, and if you have a warmer day they will probably move up on the flats to warm up - but the water is clear and they are wary so in that case only a very long cast and stealthy approach will work.

We have found over the years that most people in winter will run the trolling motor down the middle of the creek and cast to the banks, when they should be running down the banks and casting to the center of the creeks. They are literally running the fish over.

Hope this helps. Slow, slow slow!

1 Like

Live shrimp if you can get them.