Where to beach boat on Capers?

I’m new to boating. Where is the easiest place to beach the boat on Capers Island? Thanks for the responses.

Depends on where you are coming from. You can beach between Dewees and Capers Island, between Capers and Bull Island or, there is a dock (I believe) you can use at he backside, southern end.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Be very aware of what the tide is doing and that it’s a 6 foot swing. Can’t just beach the boat and walk away for the day on outgoing. Also, good idea to use a bow and stern anchor. Also good idea to wear water shoes initially to protect from cutting feet on oysters. Current is very strong in the channel, watch the kids carefully and insist on them wearing life jackets if swimming

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

Thanks a lot. Got to Bull Island today. Beached between Bull and Capers. Used a bow and stern anchor and it worked pretty well. You all were not kidding about the tide, goes out surprisingly quick even though we were prepared for it. One of the kids got a minor cut on a shell, definitely flip flops next time. You guys called everything, thanks! We are going to try to get to the tree boneyard on Bull island tomorrow. Haven’t seen the route the Ferry uses, any insight?
</font id=“size1”></font id=“size3”>

The ferry will often drop people off on the inside/inshore bend of the northernmost sandy part of the island. If you have a shallow drafting boat, and it’s not too windy, you can basically step off almost on the dry sand and just get your ankles wet maybe. It’s then a decent walk down the beach to boneyard maybe 1.5-2 miles. That’s a good area to land despite the walk because it’s usually much more sheltered then further down the beach which is more open to Bulls Bay and wave action.

The ferry also sometimes docks at an actual dock that is on the island, but I’m not sure if you’re allowed to use it, I would doubt it.

I was going to attach a picture of it but my phone was being annoying, Google maps is your friend.

Obviously, once again just watch where you leave the boat with the tides.

If the tide is low, look around the tidal pools near the trees. Sometimes you can see cool little crabs, and even anenomes in them from time to time

If your coming from the south side be carefull beaching near the creek, its drawn out and water disappears from there in a hurry. Also avoid the very tip in the ocean direction, as similarly there are alot of sand bars. Cant tell you how many boats ive helped push off, and how many ive laughed at when their pride gets in the way. As for the dock, ive always found that the waves and wind will beat the hell out of your boat if its not slick calm

“The further one gets into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom”

We tied up to the Bull Island dock a few weeks ago no problem. Lots of walking.