Which reef for spades, possible Cobia or AJs.

Down for a week of vacation with my two college age sons and want to get on some Spadefish. Any suggestions on which reef within a hour ride of Charleston/Edisto, any tips or tricks once we get there. Don’t worry, don’t want to load the boat, just keep a few and fish for fun. Would like to get the boys on either a Cobia or AJ if possible, what are my chances of that?

Thanks for any advice.

Sea Pro 21 with 200 Yamaha.

High cotton,
Pretty good Dolphin bite right now… If that is a high side 21 - run out to 120/140 feet and troll for Mahi!! Run straight out. Watch your weather and pic your day.
Get a few small islanders blue/white , pink white a few packs of ballyhoo and catch em’ up!!! If you have any rigging questions our local shops, Haddrell’s and Atlantic are a wealth of knowledge!

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

AND, If your already in 120’ take some bait or butterfly jigs and catch some big old Groupers and snappers.
Jeff

Jeff,
You could always post a few of your numbers here on CF for him to use!! Promise we won’t look!!:smiley:

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

I have a Bay Boat, 21 foot, moderate sides, not looking to go that far out, but thanks for the Mahi insight.

From Edisto try edisto 40 reef, then push on out to the 60. Good luck

I hear ya - misunderstood about the 1 hour - was thinking 1 hour out!! I would look at Y-73 but that’s still a haul… Any of the other reefs better hit during the week! Good Luck and Congrats on getting to spend time with your boys!

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

they were all over edisto 60 friday

Edisto 60 has some big schools of spades, at least on Saturday.

We dove Edisto offshore tug wreck on Sunday. I was told this was called r8 similar to the Capers R8. I hate ambiguity.

Anyway that tug i believe refered to as Edisto offshore/R8 was loaded with spade fish. Some were so big I thought they were pompano…

And plenty of AJs.

And one 40 pound grouper was lurking down there deep in the belly of the tug. But it’d be like a horror movie trying to get to where you could shoot inside that tug. Lots of twisted That grouper is safe except to hook and line.

x2 on the Edisto 60. Spades were everywhere…not a jellyball in sight on Memorial day. Back last Sat. and jellyballs but no Spades. Guess that’s why we call it fishing. Good luck

19’ Tidewater Bay
150HP Johnson

1542 Duracraft
40HP Johnson

Just curious how for out is 120/140 ft of water?

“And one 40 pound grouper was lurking down there deep in the belly of the tug. But it’d be like a horror movie trying to get to where you could shoot inside that tug. Lots of twisted That grouper is safe except to hook and line.”

because you could get a hook and line in and out of that tug??? that thing is a nightmare to fish with rod and reel

otherwise high cotton the spade are at every wreck between 50ft and 110ft right now so take your pick.

120/140 is prob close to 30 miles?? Y-73 and the gardens are about 20 miles and thats 90ft

2000 20’ Twin Vee

Grouper don’t get big by being stupid

www.baturinphotography.com