Whiny Rant

It’s been around 30 days since I I’ve been on the water and caught a fish.and last time I went didn’t fish because I harvested them crabs. And they needed to get to some boiling water. Work keeps getting in the way. Tried to get away today. And of course that didn’t work out. A buddy has been out in a couple times caught several nice black drum. And a few trout. He’s been catching the trout in the same spot as the black drum. He says the trout are bycatch.Half pieces of shrimp on a Carolina rig. Not going to be able to hit the water this weekend. wife going to shoot me if I don’t put a new floor down in the living room and kitchen as promised a month ago. One way or another I sneak away next week.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

I took Monday off and lo and behold it was actually a nice day. Fished Bonapart Cr and East River but not even a bite. Water was really fresh. I’m a fraction of the fisherman you are, OTC (I’ve seen you catch five to my one LOL), but not even a bite?? Oh well, this is usually the slowest time of the year and the water temp was 54. Spring is comin!

I’m going to try to sneak off Monday or Tuesday for a couple hours from work.
Thinking dunn sound . back around bridge. It’s going to be in the 70s and lows in the mid-50s all week. That might help water temperature a couple degrees.

Better watch out OTC because RBF’s headed your way in mid May… I’ll be staying on the Cherry Grove point…:smiley:

RBF

You coming up this way to try to get on some of these 13 and 14 inch flounder out of the marsh. Or too shag or just hang out?

I don’t shag, but my father sure did…

Just me and my best friend from when we were in 3rd grade coming to hang out and go fishing… We are planning to take the Atlantic Star head boat out of Calabash to the Stream and the rest of the time hang out at the bars and “day drink”… :smiley:

Might try to surf fish but I have read it stinks even right on the point which is where we’ll be staying… Too shallow… Is that true?

RBF

Yeah at the point / Creek moth. I don’t think they do so well. Walk down the beach a little ways towards sea cabins Pier.or go down to I think it’s 44th avenue the dead ends in the creek.I need a little room to park and they do pretty well off the rocks. That’s right next to where the girl had the redfish taken away from her by the shark.

https://youtu.be/Hu4QsFX_KyQ

Yeah, there has always been some big ones around there…

https://grandstrandmag.com/feature/catch_of_a_lifetime

RBF

RBF, I always love seeing that pic, if you look behind Maxwell you’ll see a little kids head poking out, that was me back in the day. I’ll never forget that day!

They send me out here to lightkeepers too look at something. I’ve worked for this company for 30 years. And they expect me to work all day. hahaha. they should know better

I hear some redfish calling me!!
Billymac you’re telling your age.

That water is slick. Too bad we have to work on days like these.

Go ahead and hit the water. We need a good fishing report. We won’t tell your boss.

18' Hewes Bayfisher

Adam. going to try to slip out Saturday morning if you want to go.That gives us the rest of the this week to score brownie points with the wives.

Were you there for vacation, or did you live there during that time? Did you get to see all or most of it or did you just get there when they were taking a pic…

Man I wish I could have been around the beach during those times… What was it like and what do you remember? My father was from Loris and my Mom from Conway… My Aunt owned a hotel on 12th ave N a block off the beach in Myrtle… Right where the skywheel is but back a block… Ghetto now as aquarius owns it… Spent summers there in the mid 70s… Fun times…

My dad and his family were dirt poor tobacco farmers during the great depression would get in my grandfather’s truck - 6 children 2 parents and drive to cherry grove and fish the inlet… They would take a cast iron skillet and some lard and fry fish on the bank… Not much there in the mid-late 30s and early 40s according to him…

RBF

RBF, I was there the day he caught it as were my brothers and sisters.My dad built an oceanfront house in 58,the year I was born(42nd ave.) We spent 3 weeks a summer there for his vacation.It was a different time for sure, the street going to the house wasn’t paved and Cherry grove inlet was deep water.There was a dock where the concrete pond is today that a shrimp boat docked and a little store. The mouth of the inlet was wide and deep and boats came in and out.We used to crab and fish there as there were few houses on the inlet or past around 45th ave. on the ocean front.I believe hurricane Hazel leveled many of the houses that were there. Might be why my dad was able to buy the lot and build the house in 58. I do remember the pier that was near the mouth of Cherry grove,we would walk to it for drinks and snacks.Something caused the inlet to fill in and by the time I was probably 9 or 10 the dock and shrimp boat was gone.The inlet was our playground and I remember thousands of fiddlers on the banks at low tide,huge swarms of them.I also remember an older black man that would walk the inlet flounder gigging at low tide with a pitchfork and he always had a pile of flounder on a clothes line he tied around his waist.Said he sold them to local restaurants and it wasn’t unsual to get whole fried flounder with pitchfork holes in it.The only store I remember back then was a five and dime where boulinoues is today.And then there was the fishing,it was awesome! you could fill up a 5 gallon bucket fishing off cherry grove pier with ease,pompano,whiting spots and Bluefish were easy to catch and what I remember most. I’m sure some of my memories overlap but it was a pristine place,wide beaches with tons of marine life, sand dunes were 20 feet tall, the spot fisherman used trucks and tractors to pull their nets they would have so many fish in them.My dad passed several years ago but I know he had pictures and slides as well as home movies of those summers.I’m sure my stepmother still has those stashed away s

Bill that was a great post. Back in the late 70s I pulled nets for Jack Watkins and Eugene Platt. Long Day’s hard work but really enjoyed them times.

Craig, who knows,I might have seen you. I lived down there off and on from the late 70’s through the early 90’s.Worked the golf courses and was a cook at Harbour town restaurant in Calabash. Also did some clamming for Eugene Platt in the 80’s. We would get 5 cent for chowder clams,10 cent for medium size and 15 cents for cherry clams. My roots run deep in Cherry Grove.

There’s a good chance we have crossed paths.I also worked some of the golf courses. worked at robbers roost and possum trot as a cart boy. Also worked at The travelers gas station where Walgreens is now. We will have to get together one day while you’re down and wet a line.

[quote]RBF, I was there the day he caught it as were my brothers and sisters.My dad built an oceanfront house in 58,the year I was born(42nd ave.) We spent 3 weeks a summer there for his vacation.It was a different time for sure, the street going to the house wasn’t paved and Cherry grove inlet was deep water.There was a dock where the concrete pond is today that a shrimp boat docked and a little store. The mouth of the inlet was wide and deep and boats came in and out.We used to crab and fish there as there were few houses on the inlet or past around 45th ave. on the ocean front.I believe hurricane Hazel leveled many of the houses that were there. Might be why my dad was able to buy the lot and build the house in 58. I do remember the pier that was near the mouth of Cherry grove,we would walk to it for drinks and snacks.Something caused the inlet to fill in and by the time I was probably 9 or 10 the dock and shrimp boat was gone.The inlet was our playground and I remember thousands of fiddlers on the banks at low tide,huge swarms of them.I also remember an older black man that would walk the inlet flounder gigging at low tide with a pitchfork and he always had a pile of flounder on a clothes line he tied around his waist.Said he sold them to local restaurants and it wasn’t unsual to get whole fried flounder with pitchfork holes in it.The only store I remember back then was a five and dime where boulinoues is today.And then there was the fishing,it was awesome! you could fill up a 5 gallon bucket fishing off cherry grove pier with ease,pompano,whiting spots and Bluefish were easy to catch and what I remember most. I’m sure some of my memories overlap but it was a pristine place,wide beaches with tons of marine life, sand dunes were 20 feet tall, the spot fisherman used trucks and tractors to pull their nets they would have so many fish in them.My dad passed several years ago but I know he had pictures and slides as well as home movies of those summers.I’m sure my stepmother still has those stashed