White Shrimp vs Red Legs

So, did we ever decide,…is it a different, more aggressive species or do the legs really change color? I don’t think anyone ever convinced me either way. I just know when the red legs show up, the white shrimp disappear. Rarely do they show up at the same time.

Whatcha think?

They are all white shrimp.

How can they be white shrimp if they have red legs and brown bodies? I don’t have red legs…

I can help you lose weight and get in shape, the right way. Shoot me an e-mail and let’s chat.

“Do, or do not. There is no ‘try.’” – Jedi Master Yoda

We call the red legs “traveling legs.”. Every fall they appear on the shrimp. Learned this over 50 years ago fishing with my daddy.

Marsha
35 Contender

They are white during the day and red at night? That makes no sense to me.

I can help you lose weight and get in shape, the right way. Shoot me an e-mail and let’s chat.

All of the shrimp I caught the last 2 weekends in St.Helena had red legs. All were caught in daylight.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

It’s some sort of iodine reaction they have at night. Breeding/feeding/whatever, they for some reason light up red at night. Always been that way.

2004 Scout 187 Sportfish
115 Yamaha

I caught some Saturday morning with red legs,put them in the livewell
to fish with, took them out an hour or two later and legs were no
longer red. Evidently their legs aren’t red all the time.

OK. I wanted to find out about the red legs vs gray legs controversy all for myself and to post my extensive research findings.

I’m sorry…but I don’t think I found the answer you were looking for…

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 18 year old ( has decided being with parents isn’t cool)
1 - 15 year old (still does not mind hanging with the 'rents)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

That’s just nasty. I’ll not be trying to catch any of those.

I don’t understand how it’s an iodine reaction at night. Never heard that one before.

Was looking at them while I was heading them. They are both shrimp…but they look totally different to me. I just think the red legs are a more aggresive type of shrimp that run the white shrimp off after dark.

From your friendly SCDNR:
“Without significant rainfall and/or river discharge during fall, white shrimp appear to remain in the estuaries until water temperature falls to about 60-65??F and then migration seems to occur primarily during the large tides associated with new and full moons. Some experienced shrimpers claim that the condition known as red legs is indicative of the onset of migration. This phenomenon has not been investigated scientifically.”
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/pub/seascience/shrimp.html

Red legs they have their "tennis shoeson " and are moving

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

My guess is that they came from brackish water and are moving out to sea…My experience has been that the farther up river you go, the redder the legs.

quote:
Originally posted by penfishn

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

quote:
quote:
We call the red legs "traveling legs.". Every fall they appear on the shrimp. Learned this over 50 years ago fishing with my daddy.

Y’all should listen to these ladies, they know what they speak :wink:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

OK…suppose I buy the…getting ready to move thing…then, why is it we catch white legs daytime and redlegs move in late afternoon and night…and when the redlegs show up, the white legs fall off. We’ll be tearing white shrimp up…then they cut off like throwing a light switch…and then, a couple of runs later, the redlegs are there like crazy?

The moving scenario “doesn’t hold water”.

I have caught red legs in the day time and in just 10 min or less they turn back white…

“I fish therefore I lie”

2006 Mckee Craft 185 Bay Classic 150 Yamaha

Red legs running…running…running…

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

The last trip I made, which was Monday night, I caught roughly 2/3 red legs and 1/3 white legs. They all looked like white shrimp to me.

Dragonmouse, hows thangs? long time no hear from. We still have Dorie, the lab we got from your friend in Columbia. Goos to see you’re still shrimpin.

CarolinaCrazyMan.

feeding on the bottom

Local Boy, Just having fun.