WIFI Issues and Questions About Improving

So I bought a 5 camera Blink XT2 system this weekend and attempted to set it up. I set up the sync module and then connected the 1st camera. Every time I tried to put outside where I wanted it, I lost WIFI connection. I started researching solutions, one of which was to get a wifi range extender. I downloaded Netgear’s WIFI analytic app and was surprised at how bad the signal was in certain areas of my house. My router (Netgear AC1200 dual band) which is less than 2 years old and modem (Spectrum) is upstairs at one end of the house and relocating it would be a pain as there has to be a cable connection and phone connection. My question for you experts is this, should I, a) suck it up and relocate the modem/router to a more centralized location, b) buy a wifi range extender, or c), buy a newer more powerful router?Trying to set up a camera system called this issue to my attention but, now looking back, we have been having minor issues with our WIFI so, this would be fixing an issue that needs fixing and hopefully will improve it to the point that I can actually set up my cameras.Thanks

Go with a new router. Look up Orbi. Got ours at Best buy on their recommendation. It has a repeater for the other side of the house. Game changer for us. The stock spectrum equipment is junk

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Another option is the Velop system. It’s sold at Best buy. I’ve got a 3 unit system and it covers a huge area.

I think Velop and Orbi are similar.

Pioneer 197SF

Thanks gents. I have learned a lot about WIFI systems the last day or so.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Sorry to Hijack but does anyone know anything about Wilson booster for improving cell service in a house? Our broadband is almost not existent due to antiquated AT&T infrastructure and it doesn’t look like they are going to improve as we live in a rural setting.

My plan is to get the Wilson cell booster to use in conjunction with our Verizon hotspot and ditch our landline all together. Can anyone point out any flaws in this approach. Prior to buying anything, I will be climbing on my roof/chimney to make sure there is decent Verizon service up top. Verizon service in house is terrible due to metal roofing but I think the booster/repeater will fix this issue.

Its expensive, like $1,000 for Wilson but if I can ditch AT&T it will pay back in less than a year.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

Sorry to Hijack but does anyone know anything about Wilson booster for improving cell service in a house? Our broadband is almost not existent due to antiquated AT&T infrastructure and it doesn’t look like they are going to improve as we live in a rural setting.

My plan is to get the Wilson cell booster to use in conjunction with our Verizon hotspot and ditch our landline all together. Can anyone point out any flaws in this approach. Prior to buying anything, I will be climbing on my roof/chimney to make sure there is decent Verizon service up top. Verizon service in house is terrible due to metal roofing but I think the booster/repeater will fix this issue.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

We have T-Mobile and used to have a weak signal. They sent us a $500 booster for free. We now get 5 bars. Still trying to figure what I want to do and if I even want to keep the camera system.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

So I bought a 5 camera Blink XT2 system this weekend and attempted to set it up. I set up the sync module and then connected the 1st camera. Every time I tried to put outside where I wanted it, I lost WIFI connection. I started researching solutions, one of which was to get a wifi range extender. I downloaded Netgear’s WIFI analytic app and was surprised at how bad the signal was in certain areas of my house. My router (Netgear AC1200 dual band) which is less than 2 years old and modem (Spectrum) is upstairs at one end of the house and relocating it would be a pain as there has to be a cable connection and phone connection. My question for you experts is this, should I, a) suck it up and relocate the modem/router to a more centralized location, b) buy a wifi range extender, or c), buy a newer more powerful router?Trying to set up a camera system called this issue to my attention but, now looking back, we have been having minor issues with our WIFI so, this would be fixing an issue that needs fixing and hopefully will improve it to the point that I can actually set up my cameras.Thanks

Get the EERO Pro system and you’ll be happy you did. It’s pricey, but it works and setup is simple. Additionally it’s got fewer bugs/issues (from what I found) then some other mesh systems (orbi for one), but whatever you do mesh is the way forward.

You gonna talk or FISH!

Pre-congrats on not breaking anything thus far buddy.

quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro

…and ditch our landline all together.

We haven’t had a land line for over 15 years. Have not missed it.

We have a 5G signal booster through Verizon, works great. Our current house is at the edge of 2 towers, cell signal was up and down. Now we have full bars of 4G, all the time.

“Pre-congrats on not breaking anything thus far buddy.”

Thanks, it always helps to know you got my back.

What’s the status on all this?

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

What’s the status on all this?

prolly unknown, 2 many irons in the fire:smiley:

Double D.

Probably right. I’m old enough to remember when he cared about us

Sorry, didn’t mean to keep y’all on the edge of your seats. Looked at the Netgear Orbi, Linksys Velop and the Google mesh systems. They all have their pros/cons but, it appears the Orbi and Velop may be superior as they are tri-band systems that would seem to favor having a camera system. Of those 2, reviews favor the Orbi for setup and simplicity. Leaning towards just returning the cameras for now and upgrading my home WIFI system. Trying to figure out which package I need/want. Ain’t nothing easy is it. Didn’t want you to worry all weekend Pea, you either Double D.

I’ll let you know when I get it and set it up.

D,I was just saying that you may have 2 many irons in the fire, lord knows I do.

Double D.

Thanks for the follow up. Veteran lawman needs security cameras?

Really just hacking on Pea there DD. Yeah Pea, even them mean ole police need security. I ain’t there all the time.

You’re right DD, way too many irons in the fire. Trying to work and pay some attention to my family as well as my house. I need to win the lottery.

I figured you were like the guy in Roadhouse. People knew not to mess with you even when you’re not home

Doug, we have the Arlo Pro Cameras. Love em. Have one outdoors that has been running off battery for months. Still at 31%.

Gotta run but, don’t overlook them.

NN