Wild Mushrooms...

Picked a bunch of Chanterelles this morning. :smiley:

Found a small patch on the edge of my yard, and followed it back into the woods, where I found a bunch more that will be ready to pick in a week or so. Took this batch to a friend who cans them.

we havenā€™t gotten quite enough rain on JI to get a good flush yet this year. i picked a meal worth yesterday and was hoping the 1" of predicted rain would pan outā€¦ not so much.

tell me more about canning themā€¦ iā€™ve read that they can be dried and powdered, but have heard some folks keep them in liquid too.

iā€™ve also been told that pulling the ā€œrootsā€ disturbs the mycelial colony much more than cutting at the base with scissors

I did some mushrooms back in the sixties,you guys are crazier than I thought.

Yes, I know, but half of these grew where I have to mowā€¦been letting them grow up and not mowing that area. Planning to cut/snip the others that arenā€™t growing in my yard, after they get bigger.

I have never canned them. Mentioned I found a bunch to a friend, and he said he would can some for me to try. If I like them Iā€™ll get him to show me how he does them though.

Did you take a trip and never leave the farm???

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 lifeā€™s a day

I picked up a book a couple of years ago on wild mushrooms, Iā€™m still too nervous to trust myself. After canning what you gonna use em for? Butter in a pan and on a good steak? Probably be good in an omelet.

You got your Girl hunting and now cooking! That catfish looked delicious. Never did it with corn flakes. Is it like a panko style breading?

Can them for later use, since you can harvest more than you could eat in a short time. Sheā€™s driving too, backs the boat in & parks the truck for me as wellā€¦:smiley:

The corn flakes fry harder than panko. You have to grind the flakes in a food processor until almost a powder, or the bigger pieces tend to burn.

Protecting your fishing holes canā€™t compare to protecting your spring morel spots in Missouri!

Youā€™d drive out of town one way and circle back to where you know they will be. Never use the same route twice. Makes ā€œBreaking Badā€ look like a kiddie show.

Man, if youā€™ve never had a morel lightly floured / with plain salt and pepper and gently set in a cast iron skillet with a half inch of oil - you havenā€™t lived a full life.
But, you can totally redeem yourself by eating that steak at Opals in Mt Pleasant. Could be my two favorite things.

These are some pics of a log I inoculated with Shitake mushroom spoors a few years ago. It flushes on a regular basis (sometimes). I grow chantrelles out of bags of straw sometimes too, its pretty easy really. I used to see a ton of chicken of the wood mushrooms this time of year around Charleston too, look for orang on the older diseased and dying live oaks for those. I know stuff.

Anybody know this guy?

I know someone that grows his own Shitake Mushrooms, never tried doing that myself. Iā€™ll have a bunch more of the Chanterelles soon, after all this rain.

About 3" tall, wonā€™t be long now.

Waking up an older thread.

Some mushrooms my daughter harvested, a few days ago.