Wilderness midship 8" hatch storage?

Those of you that have the newer 8" Orbitz hatches without the gear bag, what are doing for storage there? It is just an open hole, but looks perfect for a place to store lures, tools, plastics, and other stuff that gets cluttered on the floor of the yak. However, it is just open, and I doubt whatever I put in there, will be reachable when I need it.

I saw someone online take a small 8" paint pail and cut it to fit inside as a little catch bucket, which will work but thought maybe you all had some ideas or trial/error.

Thanks

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

What kind of yak is that on?

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Wilderness Ride 115 and 135, Tarpon 100, 120, 140, and 160.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I had a Ride 135. I bought some carabiners from Lowe’s and clipped dry boxes and plano boxes to the tethers inside the hatch. I have a gear bucket for the Hobie but it wastes a lot of space versus putting things loose inside the hull.

Chris

Hobie Adventure Island "Rogue Wave"

You can use closed cell foam to make a “Compartment” inside the hatch. It will take some foam, and some time to shape it right, but I did that in my old ride and it kept items from sliding around inside the yak. It also stiffened the floor up a bit.

Nowadays, I just do like Saurkraut said, small carabiners and either dry bags or boxes. On the dry bag side, you can take a large dry bag, put it in the hatch empty, and then you can stuff what you want into the bag through the hatch, roll it up, and you are good.

Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and Be Happy!

I have a Ride 135, wasn’t sure what you were describing (I am a visual learner Ha Ha) I do like kraut and clip small boxes and dry bags on the loops inside the hatch. I like the idea of a small bucket that would fit in that space. Let us know how that works out, I may have to copy you.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.