wire line on reel

Went fishing with a guy a few month back who had wire line all the way up his reel. It was on his bent but rod he used for high speed trolling. Anyone care to explain to me why?

seen 2 penn 10/0 senators this week with same setup… has single strand loaded up…

they use it for wahoo iirc… they say the wire sings in the water that paired with the speed its a very strong setup with little worry of break off unless a kink…

For pulling big planers deep for wahoo, wire line is the way to go.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Started out with wire and an inline weight then 10’ of leader to lure. Be sure to have good rollers/guides. I used monel, there are good reasons to but can’t think of them now.
Next step; installed a bridle for the planer at the end of the wire then added 100’ of 150# mono to a swivel for the leader/lure.
Now, also have a mongo bent-butt & 2 speed 80W spooled with 200# braid to bridle to 75 yds of 200# mono then swivel/lure/leader.
Overkill? Ya, sometimes.
The bridle loops allow the planer to be removed and line continued to be reeled in.
Planer trips and small fish get dragged along until someone spots them surfing. Bigger fish make that 80W sing!
A single kink in the wire spells freedom to the next fish to hit.
Big dude @ HPT has it down.

quote:
Originally posted by DG34YF

Big dude @ HPT has it down.

Robert knows his stuff! Great resource for fishing offshore.

I used to use a 6/0 with Monel wire and 16oz trolling weight with 50-75’ of 100 lb mono for pulling a bait deeper. It worked well but I never caught any bruisers with it. I would have the angler reel the wire up to the weight then handling the fish in from there. A big wahoo or king would be a son of a gun to handline but one of my buddies swears by this system and has the wahoo pictures to prove it.

The Monel is more flexible than single strand and bends easier allowing it to go on an off the reel and in and out of the rod tip easier.

After fishing with a bent butt planer rod with a bridle rig this spring, I’m a Belieber. I’ve experimented with wire line, cleated planers, etc and I’m convinced it’s worth the money to put one together to use this next season down south.

Monel is a copper-nickel alloy and is softer and more maleable than SS and why it spools better. It is also more resistant to salt corrosion than SS. It doesn’t have quite the tensile strength as SS, but changing diameters resolve that.

220 Outrage
250 Verado

the most important part of all wireline rigs is a swivel tip.The head swivels 120 degrees on the sleeve,making the wire run straight down.A stop pin also keeps the wire from flopping over.If the wire comes out of a standard roller tip,with all the pressure, it will fail.

http://www.mudhole.com/AFTCO-SWIVEL-TOPS-1280.jpg

where are all the “experts” on this one?

Thanks guys! Learn something new everyday

State Farm Agent
N Myrtle Beach

Wire line was the cat’s meow before people started using the heavy braid on planers. Not only is it strong, it doesn’t have any stretch to it, and it’s heavy. The additional weight of the wire helps planer performance. Also, plenty of guys that do high speed trolling in the Bahamas still use wire.

We’ve killed many, many, many fish on wire. Switched over to heavy braid and like the braid better. The biggest issue with wire is that it’s easy to kink especially if someone is not paying attention.

Thankx chsvalve - reminded me that a spool of heavy s/s would would self unload if not tended to, while not in tension.

quote:
Originally posted by chasvalve

Monel is a copper-nickel alloy and is softer and more maleable than SS and why it spools better. It is also more resistant to salt corrosion than SS. It doesn’t have quite the tensile strength as SS, but changing diameters resolve that.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>That information is appreciated.