Wire or Mono

Going to troll the shipping channel Saturday. A guy at work is telling me the kings are there. Hope he is right, it will save on gas. Back to the question: wire or mono leaders? All I ever see is tips on wire. Is that because Kings are leader shy??

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

quote:
Originally posted by Opps_lost

Going to troll the shipping channel Saturday. A guy at work is telling me the kings are there. Hope he is right, it will save on gas. Back to the question: wire or mono leaders? All I ever see is tips on wire. Is that because Kings are leader shy??

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

No… its because they gots some bad ass teefs.

Use wire leaders

i would go wire leader. Straight wire is best IMO (versus braided). Let me know if you have any luck out there.

I would like to see what that guys face looks like after that face slide across the ring!!!

wire leaders for sure. i’d get a length of straight wire leader that’s at least the length of the fish you aim to catch. 4 ft should be plenty for ya. Need about 40 or 50 lb strength.

forward the video to 15 seconds. Poor guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OanhLeLURdY&feature=related

I know this sounds crazy but sometimes I will use a mono. The only time i will do this is if i am chunking for king. When you are chunking the king is not going 20mph to hit the bait in fact he is just chilling eating his fill. This is where i will use a mono leader. He is going slow watching the bait and if anything looks crazy he will not bite. Yes you will get cut off a time or two but it is a great way to fish for king. Im using a 30lb clear as I can get fluro line. An not to go against what Kiblerws said but I only use about 6-12ins of leader when using wire (for trolling). The way my thinking works, is the more leader you have on the more kinks you could get in the leader. less leader less room for error. Pier fishing I will use about 4-5ft because you need it around the pilings.

Red X Anglers, If you dont know about us ask.

good point-- i may shorten mine as well and give it a run.