Woodworking Equipment

Is there a woodworking machinery shop in Charleston like Woodcraft or Rockler. Need a new planer and these bench top models aren’t big enough or heavy enough to do the job. Looking for a 16" unit.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

NOt in Charleston but this company sends us catalogs all the time and is full of woodworking stuff. Want to make your own guitar? They have the kit.

http://www.grizzly.com/search/search?q=planer

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

There is a place up here in Columbia (Mann Tools. They have great stuff and pretty good prices. I come down to Charleston every couple of weeks and will actually be coming down on Dec. 9.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Thanks, I’m really wanting to go see different machines in person so I can put my hands on them and see what the adjustments and controls are like. Look at the castings and knife setup and maybe run a couple to check snipe and cut.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

East Coast Distributors used to sell machinery, I think we bought a 10" Delta Unisaw from them years ago.

We have a 15" Grizzly at our cabinet shop that does just fine, we’ve never had a bit of trouble with it. We did, however, swap the knives for the carbide “Shelix” cutter, which I highly recommend. yes, it’s expensive, but as a homeowner, you will probably never need to do anything but maybe turn the teeth on the cutter once every couple years.

I planed 6 pallets of rough-sawn birch hardwood on a planer with the same cutterhead in about a two month span (was a 22" Powermatic when I lived in Raleigh). 6 pallets of birch didn’t even begin to dull the carbide blades.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

I have about 40k BF of hardwood lumber to plane over the years. More of a passion than a hobby. It’s why Im not interested in a bench top unit. I know it won’t hold up. We had a 24" Powermatic buts it’s too big for my current shop and at 2900lbs too big for me to move.

Mark

Wowza, 40K is a ton of lumber, oh the possibilities lol.

Whatever you get, definitely get the carbide helical cutterhead then. After using carbide cutters on three different planers, and steel cutters on two, there’s no way on this side of the galaxy that I’d even consider steel cutterheads.

Our 15" Grizzly has been a pretty good machine for the price for us.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

quote:
Originally posted by Redfish_matt

Whatever you get, definitely get the carbide helical cutterhead then. After using carbide cutters on three different planers, and steel cutters on two, there’s no way on this side of the galaxy that I’d even consider steel cutterheads.

My dad retired from teaching and took up logging and tree work. He’d take logs to the sawmill to sell and he’d have some sawn. Over the years he collected a lot of lumber. Oak, maple, cherry, cedar, walnut, hickory etc. I made furniture and things out of it and am setting up to get back into it. When he passed the barn we built to store it’s contents became mine. I plan to use as much of it as I can.

Definitely going carbide if I can. Helical is also big on the list. I’m looking hard now and ready to get things moving.

Mark

Let me know if you ever have smaller pieces of cherry, walnut or maple. I am a wood turner so I’m always looking for turnable wood.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:
Originally posted by Redfish_matt

My dad retired from teaching and took up logging and tree work. He’d take logs to the sawmill to sell and he’d have some sawn. Over the years he collected a lot of lumber. Oak, maple, cherry, cedar, walnut, hickory etc. I made furniture and things out of it and am setting up to get back into it. When he passed the barn we built to store it’s contents became mine. I plan to use as much of it as I can.

Definitely going carbide if I can. Helical is also big on the list. I’m looking hard now and ready to get things moving.

I think all of the carbide cutters are helical. I know the three that I’ve used were all helical.

The two things about carbide you will find, compared to high-speed steel.

If you start with uber-sharp steel knives, you will typically get a cleaner cut on the high-speed steel knives at first. Provided that you have the knives sharpened at the right angle for your situation.

The carbide will, however, do so much better long term. One of the carbide machines I used was so terribly abused that you couldn’t even tell what model it wa

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Let me know if you ever have smaller pieces of cherry, walnut or maple. I am a wood turner so I’m always looking for turnable wood.

How much, or what size, specifically? We sometimes have offcuts of maple and cherry in our shop, and the rare walnut or red oak (although red oak, white oak, and hickory usually go to my smoker lol).

I’m also a woodturner, turned a few thousand pens over the past 8 years, and some bowls and such… although I’m far from a pro at the bowls. I have a few decent one’s I’ve done, just a few lol.

Anything as small as 3/4 x 3/4 (pens) up to 16" and anything in between. I have a Jet 1642 and make pens, wine stoppers, Christmas ornaments, bowls and whatever. I am always on the lookout for tree cutters but maple, cherry and walnut don’t come along very often.

I’m no pro either, I’ve turned out some really nice stuff and some stuff I later burned.

quote:
I'm no pro either, I've turned out some really nice stuff and some stuff I later burned.

He’s being modest, don’t let him fool you :smiley: I’ve got one of his pens he turned from a deer antler and a cartridge case that is a work of art:sunglasses:

Doug, I’m going to have some leftover ipe and mahogany when I finish this boat. You are welcome to some of it.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Praise from Larry, I gaurantee I am not worthy but thank you Larry. I’ll take any small stuff you are getting rid of and make you something.

Thanks!

DFreedom, you’re in the upstate area right? Next time you are coming down, send me a PM, I’m sure I can help you out.

Also be sure to scope out used pallets. Often they have really killer looking crazy-grained stuff. Cut it, let it sit indoors and dry out (it’s never properly dried on a pallet), and see what you get. I have a couple whacky looking pieces of red oak crotch that are really unique.

quote:
Praise from Larry, I gaurantee I am not worthy but thank you Larry.

It is most certainly worthy! I can build a boat, but I can’t make a pen like this one. It is truly a work of art. Thank you :sunglasses:

To stay on topic, I wish I had the shop space for a full size planer and joiner, and big cabinet saw. I’ve got a 13" bench top Dewalt planer that handles softwoods real good, some hardwoods OK but not so much. No way I would use it for the quantities and types of wood you are wanting to plane.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Mann Tool and Supply in Columbia, 75 years in the business.

Great knowledgeable good folks, on foontage rd 1/26 West Columbia, near Lex County Hospital.

Matt, I’m in Columbia. I come down pretty regularly as my oldest son is at CofC. I’ll definitely look closer at pallets from now on.

Thanks Larry and Matt

Ive seen some nice ones at auctions over the years but all seam to be 440v3hs and they all go cheap! look for an equiptment auction site on the net!

quote:
I'll definitely look closer at pallets from now on.

Some pallets have fantastic wood in them, amazing after you plane and finish them. This table was made from a few mahogany pallets.

Capt. Larry Teuton