World's hottest pepper grown in South Carolina

There?s nothing like a little spicy food to stave off the cold winter months but you might want to think twice before munching on this pepper.

The Guinness Book of World Records has recently declared Ed Currie’s Carolina Reaper peppers as the hottest on Earth, ending a more than four-year drive to prove no one grows a more scorching chili. The heat of Currie’s peppers was certified by students at Winthrop University who test food as part of their undergraduate classes.

The bumpy, oily, fire-engine red fruit packs a serious punch of heat nearly as potent as most pepper sprays used by police. It’s hot enough to leave even the most seasoned spicy food aficionado crimson-faced, flushed with sweat, trying not to lose his lunch.

The record is for the hottest batch of Currie’s peppers that was tested, code name HP22B for “Higher Power, Pot No. 22, Plant B.” Currie said he has peppers from other pots and other plants that have comparable heat.

The science of hot peppers centers around chemical compounds called capsaicinoids. The higher concentration the hotter the pepper, said Cliff Calloway, the Winthrop University professor whose students tested Currie’s peppers.

The heat of a pepper is measured in Scoville Heat Units. Zero is bland, and a regular jalapeno pepper registers around 5,000 on the Scoville scale. Currie’s world record batch of Carolina Reapers comes in at 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units, with an individual pepper measured at 2.2 million. Pepper spray weighs in at about 2 million Scoville Units.

But Currie’s peppers aren’t just about heat. He aims for sweetness, too. He makes sauces and mustards with names like “Voodoo Prince Death Mamba,” ''Edible Lava" and “I Dare You Stupit” with a goal to enhance the flavor of food.

With the mega-popularity of sauces like Sriracha, the hot pepper market is expanding. In less than five years, the amount of hot peppers eaten by Americans has increased 8 percent, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture statistics.

While the world record is nic

I like hot stuff as much as the next guy, but at 300 times the heat of jalape?os… No thanks!

www.baturinphotography.com

I have one of those sitting in my kitchen now. Have not had the guts to try it yet. Maybe, today’s the day?

Umm, you gonna eat that?

Thousands have died to save my freedom. Only one has died to save my soul!

quote:
Originally posted by jstrange

I have one of those sitting in my kitchen now. Have not had the guts to try it yet. Maybe, today’s the day?

Umm, you gonna eat that?

Or you could use it to make a hundred gallons of chili.

I have a chicken on the smoker and a bottle of Tobasco and a bottle of Frank’s Red Hot. I got all the hot I need for the chicken.

Saying “I am offended” is telling everyone else that you cannot control your own emotions, and thus you need everyone else to do it for you.

There is a such a thing as too hot.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by jstrange

Umm, you gonna eat that?

Do not forget to Youtube the event. Here is a guy who tried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUs2567TlSA#t=25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvogCn7Or6o

Still untried…

Umm, you gonna eat that?

Dang. Anything that does what it did to those guys in the video clips above ain’t going in my mouth. If it burns that much going in the mouth, can’t imagine how it would burn making it’s exit through the back door.

Saying “I am offended” is telling everyone else that you cannot control your own emotions, and thus you need everyone else to do it for you.

i successfully grew a few trinidad scorpions last year and yup theyre pretty zippy but delicious. may have to get my hands on some carolina reaper seeds.

Here’s another video of that same guy eating some reapers with his friends. Rough stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dqu9ahUmaM

I wouldn’t even wish that kind of pain on a lawyer. Well, maybe one lawyer.

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

I bought some seeds for that bahut jolokia pepper back in 2010 @ the NM chili institute… never grew any. Decided they were a hazard to be around my house! So I gave them to 13skulls, maybe he can use them for deer repellent in his garden next year

with stuff like that i have a designated knife to cut them (so i dont light up everything else i cut) and use in small amounts. a small piece of fresh ghost or scorpion pepper is great on nachos with melted cheese but of course they pack a punch. usually i end up drying them and tossing flakes into chili, sausage, or something else like that.