Yakking Hunting island!!!!!!!!!!

There are several bait places here… On the way down, once you enter Beaufort, turn right at the first traffic light past the Airstation (Light with four jets on display on your left. Approximately one mile past the airstation.).

Go to the second light, and turn left. On the left side, approximately 200 yards, is Lowcountry Marine (Right next to a package store, if you need refreshments…). They have all the bait you could ever need.

When you leave, turn right, and make the left at the light. Follow this road until you pass the Naval Hospital (You will hav passed Parris Island, and crossed over a big bridge. The Naval Hospital is on the right.) At the next light (Hardee’s on the left) turn right. Go over the bridge and to the next light (About 2 miles), then turn right. YOu are now on Highway 21, and can staty straight on this road until you get to Hunting Island.

See you at the Lagon Saturday Morning around 7 A.M.

Went today, cold front lowed fishing, and wind made kayak fishing unfun… Still my friend caught a nice 19" seatrout and a 14" flounder. I caught a skunk. Oh well…

YotF

Those who can’t fish, spend too much on seafood!

Fishron & Krowdog,
Catching fiddler crabs is very easy. Find a sand flat catch it about 30 minutes after high tide you’ll see millions out there. A good place I get them is behind Russ point landing. Walk around the pond and through the woods it’ll open up to a soft flat. Run around and pick them up and place them in your bucket. Grab the males by their big claw. You can catch 100 in about 5 minutes.

ssflouder, i was having a bad day when you replied to my bait question the other day, me and kroldawg will be headin down friday after work to fish the pier on hunting island, where abouts is russ point landing? we have never been down to huntin island before.

quote:
Originally posted by ssflounder

Fishron & Krowdog,
Catching fiddler crabs is very easy. Find a sand flat catch it about 30 minutes after high tide you’ll see millions out there. A good place I get them is behind Russ point landing. Walk around the pond and through the woods it’ll open up to a soft flat. Run around and pick them up and place them in your bucket. Grab the males by their big claw. You can catch 100 in about 5 minutes.

bring em in

You can also catch fiddlers at Hunting Island Lagoon… All along the beach at the north end.

YotF

russ point landing is straight across the road from the pier.

Gonna, No problem. Sorry I came across like an ass. Russ point landing will be opposite of the parking lot for the HIPier. Gravel rd @ end. I’ve caught them around the pond as well after a bucket full of them flew out of the boat to the landing. I’ll be out of town Friday but may make it out on Sun. if you are still here.

hey Yakonthefly, where abouts on this map are u putting in? we will be at the pier all of Friday night…
http://huntingisland.com/PICmain2.htm
and, can you catch fiddler crabs at night???
bring em in

Thank you’ll for the information on catchen fiddlers. I’m looken forward to getting down to Hunting Island. I need a fishn trip bad.
Been cooped up all winter working on software.

you say 7am, will we have enough time to catch bait or are we gonna get some at 7am? we will be there all night friday, how hard is catching bait in the dark?

quote:
Originally posted by YakontheFly

YotF

bring em in

I didn’t see much bait in water past weekend…(just big mullet) might be better to buy a couple dozen minnows??

Scott, you should have let me know you were coming. I’d have much rather fished the lagoon vs. working in my yard all day. Thanks. I’m surprised a 4’ shark took that trout this early. I haven’t seen one yet diving nearshore. Next time call me or shoot me an email before you come. I’ll clear my schedule. Are you planning to come for the capers thing?

quote:
Originally posted by gonnawin

you say 7am, will we have enough time to catch bait or are we gonna get some at 7am? we will be there all night friday, how hard is catching bait in the dark?

quote:
Originally posted by YakontheFly

YotF

I would get mud minnows and shrimp on Friday, since you will have to drive almost 20 miles to get to a bait shop that has anything but frozen on Saturday morning.

As for the fiddlers, yes, you can get them in the morning, provided the tide is low…which I believe it will be around 7 Saturday.

YotF

bring em in

I posted my plans flounder and invited all to join me.

Yea Man, if any ya’ll make it to capers 28th, I will be there.

according to his link below, high tide is just before 6am and low isnt til around noon
http://www.almanac.com/tides/predictions/oneday.php?month=4&day=14&year=2007&number=9811

bring em in

what kinda bait should i throw in the minnow trap, or should i use none?

bring em in

minnow food!! duh!

Bread works fer minners.

YotF

does Atkins bait or Baystreet outfitters sell live bait???

bring em in

atkins sells live shrimp and froze mullet if you can catch him open.the store on the bluffton side sells live bait.i can’t think of the name of it.it’s the second bridge.

Canned cat food works great for mud minnows just crack the can open.