Yakking Hunting island!!!!!!!!!!

i would love to take my yak out to the salt and fish, i have only takin it out a few times up here in the fresh water for crappie, i am going to make a trip very soon to hunting island, can i get some poiters on what to bring and what rigs or lures i should use, i have never caught a flounder and would love to hook one, i also want to hook a shark from my yak before i leave in july, thanks

Gonna-get-bit,
Bring bug spray, 1/8 & 3/8 oz jig heads and grubs of assorted colors. Be sure to pack some bug spray. If you want to catch flounder drift from the walking bridge to the end of the lagoon and drag a muddie on the bottom with a 1/4 oz barrel-swivel-12-18" of leader and flounder hook. Also pitch around fallen timber on same stretch. You can also catch some fiddlers and catch some sheeps around same trees. Make sure you spray some Off on yourself and the bait. If you’re fishing in July you better bring a sponge to bail your sweat out of your yak. Come to think of it pack 2 cans of deep woods off because you’ll sweat a bunch. Think about a brick or some type of anchor sides are 2-4’ middle runs about 8 throught lagoon. If you get on the fish the tide will move you off. Good for trolling bad for structure fishing. Now for the shark. Put anything cut or wounded on the bottom or below a float rig and fish around the grass in the inlet. You’ll have no problem hooking up.

Good luck and call me if you need more bug spray.

Bug Spray? Why, when Skin so Soft and Rubbing Alcohol, mixed 50/50 works wonders.

Besides, I usually wear lightweight, breathable long sleeves shirts and pants when kayak fishing in the summer. Get them wet to cool off.

As for every thing else he said, yep…plus you can use shrimp (Dead or alive) for whiting and Redfish.

Let us know when going, might be able to link up and show you the ropes.

YotF

Those who can’t fish, spend too much on seafood!

YakontheFly we are going to head down next Friday night after work, and fish all weekend.

Next Friday? Tomorrow or the 13th?

In any case, I will try to escape from my honey-do’s long enough to catch some fish.

YotF

wow, i didnt realize next friday was the 13th, its a good thing i am not supersticious, how can i be? i dont even think i spelled it right, anyway, we are going down on the 13th, we will leave Augusta around 6pm, we might camp, depending on the bite, maybe we’ll just sleep on the pier who knows…

quote:
Originally posted by YakontheFly

In any case, I will try to escape from my honey-do’s long enough to catch some fish.

YotF

bring em in

I’ll have to check my busy schedule but I’ll try to join.

quote:
Originally posted by gonnawin

wow, i didnt realize next friday was the 13th, its a good thing i am not supersticious, how can i be? i dont even think i spelled it right, anyway, we are going down on the 13th, we will leave Augusta around 6pm, we might camp, depending on the bite, maybe we’ll just sleep on the pier who knows…

quote:
Originally posted by YakontheFly

YotF

bring em in

Disgusta!!! Poor sod… Happiness was leaving that place almost four years ago for good. (Fort Garbage…errr…Gordon)

You bringing the yaks, right? Why go to the pier then? The Lagoon is much better, as is Harbor River, and further out in Fripp Inlet iteslf.

YotF

Yakonthefly

Yes we are both stationed at good old Fort Gordon. We are both new to yakfishing and saltwater fishing. Would be nice to have someone familiar with the area show us the ropes. (hint,hint)

P.S. We will bring the bug spray

Fort Garbage!!LOL, i cant stand this place man, augusta either, 3 1/2 months before i go home to cali, any way, i only have one yak but it is a 2seater recreational Pelican yak which i added some Scotty T-rods too., would it be hard for 2 people 2 fish? i dont think it would be, its a sit on top yak, 12’, super orange, you cant miss it, i also added some tie downs for my anchors and bait bucket, hey krowldawg, if you dont want to be on the yak you can get a truck tube and ill pull ya,lol just kiddin

bring em in

quote:
Originally posted by gonnawin

Fort Garbage!!LOL, i cant stand this place man, augusta either, 3 1/2 months before i go home to cali, any way, i only have one yak but it is a 2seater recreational Pelican yak which i added some Scotty T-rods too., would it be hard for 2 people 2 fish? i dont think it would be, its a sit on top yak, 12’, super orange, you cant miss it, i also added some tie downs for my anchors and bait bucket, hey krowldawg, if you dont want to be on the yak you can get a truck tube and ill pull ya,lol just kiddin

bring em in

A Native Cali too? Dang.. Where about...

Grew up most of childhood in San Diego… Go Bolts! Born and call home Stanford, where my Grandparents lived.

YotF

My brother and I fished a tandem we rented here a couple of years back… a SIT. You could easily have two fish from a tandem SOT.

See you both next week. I will give you both the scoop…

Expect you both to be back down in May for the Redneck…errr Souther Sleigh Ride on the Broad for Cobia.

YotF

born and raised in the high desert, me and my wife now have a house in Happy Camp,CA, about 45 min from the oregon line, we live on the best Salmon River on the west coast,the mighty Klamath River, when i say on i mean it takes 30 seconds to walk across the street, that is the main reason i bought the yak, whats up with this cobia trip? i have never heard of it before.

bring em in

also, where is the closest place to Hunting island to get bait?(shrimp, mud minnows, mullet,etc?)

bring em in

GW,
Buy Bait?.. Now that is funny. Throw castnet, and minnow trap, catch fiddlers.

Bug update: While trying to shoot ol’Tom last night I actually felt myself lift off the ground a bit. Gotta love the sandfleas - only nerve gas will kill them. If you have any of that at Flash Gordon bring some.

I was going to ask the say question about where to buy bait. I have a cast net and minnow trap which I plan to take to Hunting Island at the end of April. I have asked how to catch fiddler crabs but, all I get is smarta$$ answers. So I was wondering where to buy them near HI. Or I would settle for how to catch them. Thanks.

i have a cast net but i dont have the damdest clue on how to throw the dam thing, ive tried over and over and it just doesnt work for me, so can any one answer me on where the closest place to buy bait is? not being a D#*k but i didnt ask where to catch live bait, i asked where to buy live bait, if i knew what i was doing catching bait i wouldnt be asking would I?

bring em in

I am curious too, how do you catch fiddlers?

This is a site that has a good method for throwing a castnet. I use the method Steve Brown uses and it works for me. I have a large net and his method works great.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/

I also have a net I ordered from Cabelas. It has and aluminum ring in the center and you can throw it with 1 hand. I have a 4 footer and it works just as avertised. Piece of cake to throw.

gonnawin give me a call.