Yamaha 4 stroke 115hp issue

Having some issues with my engine.

Was out fishing on Saturday, ran fine in the morning on the way out. Switched over to my trolling motor and fished for about an hour. When I went to start the engine, the alarm came on - it would crank but not turn over.

I was a little low on oil, so I added some. Let it sit for a while, through the ear muffs on and it started right up. I let it run for a while. Shut it down, when I attempted to start it back up - same issue as before - alarm and cranked but wouldn’t turn over

I let it sit a day, cleaned up all the terminals, started again and it started right up. Pissed out water fine. Shut it down. Tried to start and same issue again.

Does this sound like an issue with the thermostat?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

21’ Sea Pro CC Bay
115 Yamaha 4 stroke

!not following it cranking but not turning over?

It’s not just dead when I turn the key. It sounds like it wants to start but just doesn’t actually start - like it’s not getting a proper spark from the spark plugs - but I checked and they are not fouled - it will start when it’s cold, but as it warms up it won’t - which is what is making me think it might be the thermostat

21’ Sea Pro CC Bay
115 Yamaha 4 stroke

From what little info you have given to go on, I would doubt it had anything to do with the T-stat. If it were the T-stat and you were overheating, you most likely used your trolling motor long enough for it to have cooled down enough to start again.

Key West 19’6" CC 115hp Merc
14’ Fast Craft w/ 60hp Merc

when you say it will crank but not turn over, do you mean the engine is spinning by way of the starter, but when you release the key, it wont stay running?
if so, that wont have anything to do with the t-stat.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean

21’ Sea Pro CC Bay
115 Yamaha 4 stroke

if the alarm is sounding while you are turning the key, its likely something with the kill switch circuit.
if could be many other things, but from the limited diagnostics given, that would be a starting point

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org