Yamaha 90 Tilt cylinder cap

The dust seal on my tilt cylinder was bad so I paid to have a shop swap it out since it was pretty cheap and I didnt have the lift and spanner wrench you need. Apparently the cap is corroded and unusable, and no-one makes the just the cap. The entire assembly is $600. Has anyone run into this and found a workaround or aftermarket part? It seems like it would be hard to find a used one that was in good shape, but does anywhere know where I could look. The motor is a 1999 yamaha 90 2 stroke. (TLRX I think)

Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

You should be able to just buy the cap. Not a problem. Try this…

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1999/90TLRX/POWER%20TRIM%20TILT%20ASSEMBLY%201/parts.html

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Thanks Cracker Larry. The diagram shows the cap, but doesn’t give a part number. You have to buy the part 20 on the diagram which is the whole cylinder sub assembly which is $500. Or the whole thing for $600. Seems kind of crazy they don’t make just the cap. I’m hoping I’m able to find a used one in good shape. I’m starting to realize I’m too poor to be a fisherman!

On a side note, I realized the other day, that a friend of mine that I fish offshore with knows you. Dr Mulvey is a vet in savannah and is my cousin by marriage. From what I understand, I’ve caught a lot of fish and eaten a lot of fish dinners on account of you!

I know Brian well, great guy and the best vet I’ve ever met.

quote:
is my cousin by marriage. From what I understand, I've caught a lot of fish and eaten a lot of fish dinners on account of you!

If the marriage happened about a year or so ago in Effingham County, my wife was there. Do you have any connection to the Neurological Institute?

Brian cracks me up, he’ll sometimes call me at 0630 and ask me where he should fish :smiley::smiley: Always glad to help him, he takes fine care of my dogs.

That part should be the same for 90 Yamaha from about the mid 90s to mid 2000s. they didn’t make many changes to that engine, didn’t need to. Maybe you can find a blown up one somewhere and get the cylinder. I’ll keep an eye out. Not positive but I think the 70 hp used the same cylinder too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

No we got married in statesboro about 3 years ago, and no connection to the neurological institute that I know of. I bet my wife has met you though, she worked for Brian when we lived in savannah. She is a blonde named Brittany. He is the only vet my wife trusts, and we make the drive to Savannah if we have to. And not just for the family discount! My dog gets most of his shots on a dock on Betz creek though. Usually during an oyster roast or something.

Small world I guess, I’ve been reading your posts/stories for a long time and never realized the connection.

Thanks for the info on the motor, I’ve got a few people checking around here. The seals are cheap, I may put it back together and see if it leaks until I feel like buying the assembly.

Could a good machine shop “make” one for you?

ZX

A good machine shop can probably make anything, but I would imagine it would cost more than the cylinder. I took a closer look at it, and decided to put it back in. I think it will be fine.