Yamaha F115

Last time out I had a solid alarm go off and the motor shut down. Last year I had the same solid alarm sound and found out that the oil pump failed so I replaced the oil pump. Would it be likely that the oil pump would go bad in 1 year or would something else cause the alarm. Had someone tell me that all errors on this motor would cause a solid alarm.
I did not mess with for a week or so and tried it in the yard and the motor fired right up with no alarms and ran in the yard great for about 20 minutes. Any insight would be appreciated.

what rpm is the motor idling at?
750 or 900?
oil pump definitely shouldn’t fail in 1 year
oil pressure sensor could be failing causing engine to think it doesn’t have oil pressure, but definitely need to have that looked at before you run it again

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

First, I’m not a mechanic and didn’t even sleep in a Holiday Inn last night. But I had a similar issue and this was the conclusion I discovered after exhaustive searching. The oil reservoir sensor is on a cap low on the oil reservoir and the seal on that cap has a tendency to leak. When the oil gets below the sensor an alarm is generated. A search of this known issue generated hundreds of users with that same issue. Factory solutions were an expensive replacement of the sensor with the problem reoccurring. Some users rigged the cap with zip ties to get a better seal, some bypassed the oil injection system altogether. What I do is fill only to just above the sensor and add oil every other trip and keep extra aboard. It’s a PITA that I wish Yamaha would better address but I’ve learned to live with it.

16’ High Tide Flats (Green) w/Yamaha 90
Wilderness Ride 135
Wilderness Tarpon 120

[quote]Originally posted by chris V

what rpm is the motor idling at?
750 or 900?

www.joinrfa.org
[/quote

Chris, I am not sure what rpm it idles at because I dont have a tach. I guess I will have to take it somewhere to put it on a computer.

28 WA Hydra Sport
Twin 225 4 stoke Yammies
“Fin Loco”

jleep that works for a 2stroke
the four stroke has an oil pressure sensor

reelex
the reason I ask about the idle…
Yamaha 4 strokes have a built in high idle fail mode
if any sensor on the engine isn’t responding properly, the engine will automatically change its idle from the normal 750 to 900

www.joinrfa.org

Thanks for the info. It would probably be a good thing to add a tach anyways. Chris, you are a great asset to this site and give great info. Sent you a PM.

28 WA Hydra Sport
Twin 225 4 stoke Yammies
“Fin Loco”

Thanks Chris I didn’t realize we were talking 4stroke. Still looking for a better cure for my issue.

Wilderness Ride 135
Wilderness Tarpon 120

radius zip ties
not a standard zip, will permanently fix the issue.
stop by and I will give you a couple

www.joinrfa.org

quote:
radius zip ties not a standard zip, will permanently fix the issue. stop by and I will give you a couple

Bingo! I had the same issue on my 90 2-stroke and this solved the problem.

Nothing but a “SMART-ELLIC”!

Thanks Chris, out of town for now but will look for some. If that’ll cure it I’ll be stoked!

Wilderness Ride 135
Wilderness Tarpon 120