Yamaha powered subs any good? MSR800W

Way off topic here…
I play guitar in bands, own a full PA. As with everything most of us do, I’m always trying to improve something about my rig. I have Yamaha passive subs SW118V’s and almost enough power to push them. I really am trying to move to powered speakers and wanted to swap out the subs first.

A local guy has a pair of Yamaha MSR800W’s for a killer price but there’s something fishy about it all. He had temporarily wired another power amp directly to the speaker by opening up the boxes. That sounds super sketchy to me. He says he never even ran them that way, was just thinking about it because he was trying to get more clarity out of the subs and wanted to have a bigger amp to give headroom.

I should run from these shouldn’t I? I’ve talked him down to $525 for the pair. Reviews around the web are scarce and mostly positive, but a couple say they last a few hours then blow. I know these types of reviews can be the result of novices not understanding what they are doing, but this scenario is probably a “too good to be true” kind of thing I think. Do you agree?

A buddy who pretends to know all about this (he can recite specs of almost any speaker, etc off the top of his head… accurately) says that price is good enough to buy and wade through the risks. That’s what puts me in a perplexed position.

I asked the guy for a 48 hr warranty in which I’d set the units up and pump some music through for a couple of hours to get them up to temp and put them through a workout. We live in the same small town, don’t know if I know him or not, all over email. He declined citing that he couldn’t warranty them because he couldn’t know how I’d be using them and offered a “demo” even though I said he could come observe my setup. I responded that I’d need a 6 hour demo. No word back from him.

There just aren’t enough great reviews out there that it washes away the bad few.

Thoughts?

BG

Sounds like you should sleep on it and then go with your gut feeling.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

What he said ^^

What I know about that stuff wouldn’t fill an oyster’s brain, but always trust your instincts.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Yamahas have served me well over the years, but my boats stay above water.