You CAN Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

Well, I’m not really old (only 41), but I’ve been using baitcasters with mono line almost exclusively for over 20 years, and I thought I had settled, years ago, on the perfect line-to-reel setup that I would likely never change. People have raved for years about how much better braided line is, but while I found it far superior to mono on the light spinning reels that others like to use, and while I also respect it’s strength advantages, I never thought I’d like it on my baitcasters, so I held out all these years. I figured it would not cast as well as the mono and that the junction from the braid to the leader would snag just enough in the guides to cause a backlash hazard.

Well, a friend of mine finally talked me into just trying it because we were fishing in areas where we really needed to put a lot of hard pressure on the fish (tight spaces with lots of shells and grass). So, I had Hadrell’s spool me up some 30# Powerpro and, well, I’ve got to tell you: I flippin’ love it. I can cast it directly into the wind with 1/16th ounce weight with virtually no loss in casting distance and no backlashes, and it casts about as well as the 17 lb mono (better into the wind) with zero memory and the added strength. I was making long casts with virtual flawlessness with it into a steady 10-12-kt wind earlier this week with an 8th-ounce grub. It’s practically glitchless in all conditions. Mono would have faught me a little (or shortened my effective casting distance into the wind, at least).

So, that’s it; enough holding on to old tricks; I’m making the switch. Glad I finally tried it.

Braid has been the obvious choice for spinning tackle for a long time, but I am now convinced that it is the way to go for the baitcasters, too.

For any other baitcaster users out there, I highly recommend giving 30# braid (with a mono or flouro leader) a try.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland
Strickland Marine Insurance, Inc.
843-795-1000 / 800-446-1862

Don’t forget when you’re ready for new braid, reel the used braid onto a different reel, putting the fresh end towards the outside of the reel. A little gimmick to save you a few bucks, and the unused portion of line isn’t wasted.

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

Don’t forget when you’re ready for new braid, reel the used braid onto a different reel, putting the fresh end towards the outside of the reel. A little gimmick to save you a few bucks, and the unused portion of line isn’t wasted.

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

noted!

The wetter, the better
-Stinger 144 SC
-Yamaha 50

quote:
Originally posted by gotchacovered

… I can cast it directly into the wind with 1/16th ounce weight with virtually no loss in casting distance and no backlashes, and it casts about as well as the 17 lb mono (better into the wind) with zero memory and the added strength. I was making long casts with virtual flawlessness with it into a steady 10-12-kt wind earlier this week with an 8th-ounce grub. …

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland

BS

?

Why do you say that, P-K? It’s absolutely true, my man–no exaggerations, and I can personally demonstrate it for you. Call me anytime you’d like a personal demo, and I’m your Huckleberry.

If you doubt that the line will perform that well on a baitcaster, then I understand that. I was surprised to see this line perform this well on my baitcasters, but it’s true: it does.

If you doubt my account because you simply can’t cast a baitcaster that well yourself, then don’t assume others can’t. I’ve been casting baitcasters for a long, long time, bo.

Like I said, I challenge you to come see for yourself. Consider that an invitation.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland

I dont like braid on my baitcast reels for one reason… while fighting fish the braid bury itself into the spool. At least thats been my exp.

I was worried about that for years, too. It was one thing keeping me from making the switch. Surprisingly, it hasn’t been a problem, though. I’ve caught about 20 reds on it since putting the braid on, the largest being 13 lbs, and I’ve had no problems with the line digging in.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland

The only thing that I’ve found doesn’t like braid was my little girls zebco closed face. :dizzy_face: She learned to use an open face that day as I had no mono to re-line it.

Also I have a 16 1/2 year old chow that my daughter just trained to sit and give a paw… for a treat only. Pretty neat. Was told most chows don’t make it past 12.

well off to go vote…

16 is doing well for just about any dog. The best I’ve done is 15 with a German Shepherd. She was very slow and arthritic, and someone accidentally backed into her with a truck in our driveway; otherwise, she might have made it another year or so.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland

ok…maybe I’m just not proficient enough with a baitcaster yet but I have little to no problems pitchin mono, switchto braid and I blew up the first time I took it to the water. any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? what adjustments are usually needed when making the switch? I switched back to 20lb ande mono and things are back to normal with no problems to speak of other than the occasional mishap.

gotcha-I may take you up on that offer if P-K doesn’t

I had everything (spinning only) rigged with spiderwire 30#, just switched to powerpro and it’s MUCH better (IMHO). Maye it’s just cause it’s new

“Unless you have a ritual for getting your tackle box ready, no one will regard you as a serious fisherman”

I like the braid and put about 150yds of 8lb mono on as backing and then tie on about 200yds of spiderwire or firewire. Mono helps fill the spool so it casts better and doesn’t allow it to dig in the crevices.

Rick

Off the fishing topic a bit ------ but that is one old chow. Does it like to fish?

21 ANGLER -( QUICK FIX )

quote:
Originally posted by CHSbound

ok…maybe I’m just not proficient enough with a baitcaster yet but I have little to no problems pitchin mono, switchto braid and I blew up the first time I took it to the water. any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? what adjustments are usually needed when making the switch? I switched back to 20lb ande mono and things are back to normal with no problems to speak of other than the occasional mishap.

gotcha-I may take you up on that offer if P-K doesn’t

You’re welcome to fish with me anytime, man. Just give me a call.

I’m not going to bet the family cow on any of the following suggestions, but here are some thoughts (just guesses, really).

First off, you asked what adjustments to make. I made none, but you may need to play with the two brakes on your baitcaster a little to get the sweet spot for you. This can be touchy, depending on the reel you have and your experience with it.

One other thing I noticed is that you said above is that you’re used to casting 20# Andie. That may be one part of the difference. I’ve been casting 17# Super Silverthread for decades. It’s about the lightest, thinnest, most supple, and softest line on the market. Andie is significantly different in its characteristics. The move from 20# Andie to braid is a significantly bigger jump than the move from 17# Super SilverThread, in my opinion. So, that might just be part of your problem.

So, I would suggest you try one or both of the following: add a little centrifugal brake, and/or spool up with heavier (and thicker) braid. I’m using 30# Power Pro. You may need to spool up with something heavier, per what you’re used to casting.

Your leader and leader knot may be part of the equation, too. If you’re using a fat leader, you’ll have a fatter knot. A fat knot may drag

quote:
Originally posted by SLACK_LINE

I dont like braid on my baitcast reels for one reason… while fighting fish the braid bury itself into the spool. At least thats been my exp.

You have to understand that your line (braid) is no longer the weak link in your gear. You have to adjust all of your tackle accordingly. Drag,Hooks, Swivels,Mono-filament, Tippets etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz
quote:
Originally posted by SLACK_LINE

You have to understand that your line (braid) is no longer the weak link in your gear. You have to adjust all of your tackle accordingly. Drag,Hooks, Swivels,Mono-filament, Tippets etc.

You have to understand the only time im using braid is in heavy structure… my drag is just about maxed. Braid or not, fish starts pullng you across steel, oysters etc. your line will part. Thus the tight drag, and the line buries itself. I dont have near as much trouble with this when im using braid on a spinning reel. Here again this is my exp.

I do understand Sir, I enjoy pulling Black Drum up the pier by hand, after ripping them out of the pier pilings, with no problem at all!

Switched from mono to braid a couple of years ago on my surf casting Penn 140 Squidders.
-much better distance, especially casting in to the wind
-rigs stay put on the bottom much better, much less wind/current resistance than mono
-no problems with line burying, even catching large bull reds,40+"s or big sharks/rays
-BUT-watch out for those back lashes-no fun picking them out of braid!

Sea Hunt 2002
Yamaha 150