Youth ATV advice

Want to get my son a 90 to 110cc 4 wheeler but cannot spend 2K to 3K for Honda or other name brand. I looked on craigslist for used ones bur not many and few there are all seem to need work done or are too high. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the Chinese off brands like Taoatao? Most reviews just have issues with loose bolts or wiring and very short warranty. I know you get what you pay for but can’t spend that much on something he will out grow in few years.

Honestly with the price and usability i would look into maybe a 250 or 300 Name brand you should be able to find an older one in your price range, the older ones also dont really lose value they just kind of hit a low point and stay there. They dont go much faster and are relatively small. the off brand fourwheelers just arnt made the same the wiring and components like the starter fail carbs are constantly clogged its more hassel than saving $500 is worth. by time you find the parts and pay for them its just too much to deal with especially if your son wants to ride and its constantly broke.

Allhungup is right, you do get what you pay for. If I were going to go the cheap route like the ones that pepboys carries, I would go through it first looking at all hardware and tightening and adding locktite where needed. Get a good helmet for him and make it a rule that he doesn’t ride without it.

Something like this would last a long time and brakes are pretty easy on a 4wheeler:
http://charleston.craigslist.org/snw/4979411840.html

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

How old is your son? The first question a dealer will ask is this and they won’t sell you one if he’s too young for it. Period. With all the new laws, dealers have to cover their azz. If you go the used route from an individual, then it won’t be a problem, but i would not buy one of those cheap Chinese made models.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I want a smaller one because most of the smaller ones have a screw on the throtle that lets you turn the speed down & some also have a remote kill switch. That is why I was think of one around a 100cc. A 300 would be too big for him.

My niece has a used Yamaha raptor 90 that she got for Christmas, has the throttle control on it, and is capable of being very fast (for a 9 year old). They bought it from a guy in Georgia, and I believe he sort of specialized in those smaller ones. I’ll see if I can get you the contact info. They had a bunch of them at the time, all were used and he fixed them up and sold them as a side business.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

If you want you can change the throttle cable position on any size simply adjust the screw so technically if he had it full throttle it could be adjusted so it would run 1/4 throttle. Dont let the “300” scare you because of the number. Or just dont teach him to shift gears until he is ready. It is small and if he is the size that you would have to worry about having to have a remote cut off i would hate to rely on him being in “cut off distance” or a Chinese remote control working considering everything else breaks on those things. having dealt with them first hand it is not worth the risk there is a reason they are so cheap

I’m not one to be a negative Nellie, but those things are dangerous. Buy him a dirt bike. At least when they spill on it the whole thing won’t crush him. I’m sorry, it’s just me. I just don’t like em. Had a friend of a friend who’s kid got paralyzed.

Tigerfin I would appreciate that contact info. Thanks.
Allhungup I think I have decided to hold out on the right used name brand after all. Thanks for the help.
Thanks guys…

https://charleston.craigslist.org/snw/4969428885.html

https://charleston.craigslist.org/snw/4953513980.html

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

I’m not one to be a negative Nellie, but those things are dangerous. Buy him a dirt bike. At least when they spill on it the whole thing won’t crush him. I’m sorry, it’s just me. I just don’t like em. Had a friend of a friend who’s kid got paralyzed.

Redstripe, I’d rather a slow four wheeler than a dirt bike for a youth any day of the week. With much parental supervision. The ticket being Parental supervision, not dirt bike/ four wheeler as a form of get the kid off my back instead of taking time with them.

My son grew up driving a Kawasaki King Quad, when he could barely even reach the handlebars while sitting in my lap. That machine could go anywhere. By the time he was 12 he could drive it better than I could. He also learned it will bite him if not careful.

IMO, if you are going to spend some money, get one that he won’t out grow and teach him how to use it wisely.

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Agree with Fred, a dirt bike is far more likely to cause injury than a 4 wheeler.

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Bought three Chinese Tao Tao brands Christmas two years ago delivered from a place in Texas for $2700 in crates assembly required! Two were 110cc and the other was a little bigger, but had problems with all three! I suggest getting a good name brand unit used or new and stay away from the cheap stuff! The prices are very affordable, but you get what you pay for! I sold all three last year at a loss just to get rid of them! Everything from wiring harness to the metal frame is cheap and will not last!:smiley:

Capt Buddy Bizzell
Edisto Palmetto Charters
803-603-2781
www.edistopalmetto.com
Being on the water is a blessing, catching fish is a bonus!

The Kawasaki King Quad is 25 years old now, and it will still climb a tree. Never needed any major repairs.

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

Like Cracker implied, you have a hard time finding a good quality used atv because people hold on to them. If they are not abused they last a very long time. I would get a good used one an sell it off when you are done.

Mine is a 2001 350cc Honda Rancher and I have put it thru hell and back and it still runs great. He rides with me but it is too big for him. I see now used name brand is way to go.

http://www.quadhunter.com/

Try this site.