1,000 years left on Earth

Says Stephen Hawking…and I don’t think he’s that far off…

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/health/hawking-humanity-trnd/index.html

We’re all doomed. Unless we can figure out how to get the heck off this planet.
Don’t believe it? Then ask noted theoretical scientist and astronomer Stephen Hawking. He says humanity won’t survive another 1,000 years on Earth because of, you know, the usual suspects – climate change, nukes, robots.
Hawking, speaking earlier this week at Oxford University Union, says our best chance for survival as a species is to leave the only home we’ve ever known and establish colonies on other planets.

“Although the chance of a disaster to planet Earth in a given year may be quite low, it adds up over time, and becomes a near certainty in the next 1,000 or 10,000 years,” Hawking said in the speech, according to the Christian Science Monitor. “By that time we should have spread out into space, and to other stars, so a disaster on Earth would not mean the end of the human race.”
And the pace of space exploration seems to be ramping up. NASA is busy searching for “goldilocks” – exoplanets that might be able sustain human life. Meanwhile, Space X CEO Elon Musk has already laid out his plans to colonize Mars within the next century.
Despite all of his gloom and doom, Hawking did end with some positive notes, according to British newspaper The Independent.
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, wonder about what makes the universe exist,” he said. “Be curious. However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

Says Stephen Hawking…and I don’t think he’s that far off…

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/health/hawking-humanity-trnd/index.html

We’re all doomed. Unless we can figure out how to get the heck off this planet.
Don’t believe it? Then ask noted theoretical scientist and astronomer Stephen Hawking. He says humanity won’t survive another 1,000 years on Earth because of, you know, the usual suspects – climate change, nukes, robots.
Hawking, speaking earlier this week at Oxford University Union, says our best chance for survival as a species is to leave the only home we’ve ever known and establish colonies on other planets.

“Although the chance of a disaster to planet Earth in a given year may be quite low, it adds up over time, and becomes a near certainty in the next 1,000 or 10,000 years,” Hawking said in the speech, according to the Christian Science Monitor. “By that time we should have spread out into space, and to other stars, so a disaster on Earth would not mean the end of the human race.”
And the pace of space exploration seems to be ramping up. NASA is busy searching for “goldilocks” – exoplanets that might be able sustain human life. Meanwhile, Space X CEO Elon Musk has already laid out his plans to colonize Mars within the next century.
Despite all of his gloom and doom, Hawking did end with some positive notes, according to British newspaper The Independent.
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, wonder about what makes the universe exist,” he said. “Be curious. However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”

Whew…I thought I was in trouble…

"Endeavo

Man, kind of deep for a Thursday huh? Now I’m all bummed out.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I wonder how Hawking and Einstein would have gotten along? Two brilliant minds.

Too bad none of us will ever know it this is true or not.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

If something bad happens, I’m moving to Canada! Nothing bad ever happens up there!

Update: Bad things do happen in Canada!
https://www.marketplace.org/2016/11/16/life/final-note/labatt-stops-giving-retirees-free-beer-life

don’t worry, he’s just a scientist. Probably funded by the liberal left, pushing liberal propaganda. DOn’t listen to him.!

The leftys cant even get a climate prediction right for 30 years forward! This 1000 - 10000 prediction is meaningless and was probably quite expensive

I think I can outrun Stephen Hawking.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

Maybe all the liberals will go to another planet!

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

quote:
Originally posted by spec

Maybe all the liberals will go to another planet!

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

Not unless some Hard workers show up first to set up camp for them.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

I think I can outrun Stephen Hawking.

ooooh, that’s just mean :imp:

How will they get their Free Stuff, up there:question:

Any one of us could have made that prediction. I respect his intelligence and what he’s overcome, but If he can’t provide something more useful than that he needs to shut the hell up

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

Any one of us could have made that prediction. I respect his intelligence and what he’s overcome, but If he can’t provide something more useful than that he needs to shut the hell up

I agree. BS predictions like that are silly

Yes but in 1,000 years, who will remember to say, “hey, that Hawking guy was right/wrong”? With that in mind, I’m going to say we only have 999 years left. Prove me wrong.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I won’t pass judgement or make a decision on this, until The Pod, chimes in and offers his wisdom and well thought out views!

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

can you imagine all that intelligence trapped in a speechless body? to live with ALS for that long and have that brilliant mind with limited outlet…

Good job Bonzo. Now I no longer feel safe in my safe space.

If nothing else his speech may cause our slowed down space program to get back in gear. I’m all for space exploration… as long as someone else is exploring. I like my home. The only move I’d like is to buy a Island in the Caribbean and never wear clothes, unless the kids come to see me.

Isn’t it ironic that the world is BILLIONS of years old, yet the most sophisticated race of animals that ever lived is only THOUSANDS of years old, and advanced technology is only DECADES old. And then, BOOM, supervirus wipes us all out… Almost like it was planned that way.