15'ish foot Tiger Shark (Shem Creek) w/pics

flyinghigh,

you must know NOTHING about our ocean

“Now, whoever has courage and a strong collected spirit in his breast, let him come forward, lace on the gloves and put up his hands.”-Virgil.

I would beg to differ.

<— Not going to even touch this topic!!! (might show the scars someday tho)

Russ B.

Psalm 55:22

quote:
Originally posted by flyinghigh

I would beg to differ.

Your comments about no one caring about killing a few sharks and there not being a shortage indicate otherwise. I find this disturbing.
No disrespect intended, because I don’t know you personally. If I may, I’d like you to reconsider what you said. It’s comments like this than can do more harm than you think…especially with the pressure from conservationists and the NMFS to close our fisheries and limit the ability for all of us to enjoy them. If you doubt this, then please read up on the posts Phin has made in the Offshore Discussion forum:
http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=83063
I can tell you this…I have been fishing offshore since I was 10 years old, so I’d like to think I know a little about what I am saying. The numbers of fish in general–inlcuding sharks–have declined drastically over the last 25 years. Unlike the science that the NMFS is using, the data showing this is not flawed. Do the research…I think once you do, you will re-think your comments. At least, I hope you do.

“Never argue with an idiot…he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

Well said, Wolakrab.

I’m still pretty sure that Sells is right-- it’s not worth the time to clean a shark because you can’t find a buyer for a trip load of sharks now. While finning at sea is an illegal practice, it is completely legal for Bonsai and other commercial shark boats to catch 30 blacktips at 100 lbs each (or other species allowed for take), take them to the dock (thereby landing them), then fin them and dump the carcasses. I haven’t heard it straight from the law, but I’ve talked with one of the shark researchers at DNR about it and that’s what he said. I’d like to know more about the laws concerning dumping fish racks vs. wasting edible meat.

I also completely agree that legality and morality do not go hand in hand here. I know the Lowcountry Food Bank will accept whole fish and then clean them on their own, not sure if that applies in this case.

Maybe it wasnt harvested commercially, I have heard of individulas beheading a large Tiger in the past just to recover the JAWS. If that shark was beheaded, that could be what happened?

Just remember, this isn’t some commercial boat that happened to catch a shark. To my knowledge this boat is a shark fishing boat. Not sure if the two sharks are related, but I will go out on a limb here and say that since this guy does this for a living, he got anything that was profitable from this shark and did it in legal fashion.

I don’t know enough about shark fishing or shark populations to have an opinion here, but just stating the obvious who might want to take it into consideration.

quote:
Originally posted by kut08

flyinghigh,

you must know NOTHING about our ocean

What data do you have that shows sharks are in trouble?

greg1, You are obviosuly ignorant as well. Do some homework and read.

P.S. Read from a reliable source and you’ll see the numbers of sharks are going down. I have no problem catching and keeping fish, what I have a problem with is people killing fish and wasting them. or killing them for pictures and glory.

again, do some interweb research and you’ll see. and don’t go to “John Doe’s Interweb Page of Knowledge” written by some 14 year old punk kid.

“Now, whoever has courage and a strong collected spirit in his breast, let him come forward, lace on the gloves and put up his hands.”-Virgil.

Please point me towards a reliable source. I am interested in reading as much as I can on these matters.

BTW Kut…I have seen those shows on the Discovery Channel that talk about shark finning and all that. If accurate that is very disturbing. However, I also know that those shows are usually funded by certain groups that tend to have a very liberal outlook on things. Now, I am against all forms of waste but I also question what I see on TV.

I’ve also had beers with graduate students from the LSU Agg center and listened to them discuss the over abundance of coastal and nearshore shark species partially due to the biomass conversion of commercial bycatch and fish kills caused by red tides and low oxygen water levels.

I’ve also heard them discuss the prosperity of the offshore and pelagic shark species that capitalize on the 40 and 50 mile long line sets. Thousands of sharks eat fish off those lines with no effort at all.

Further evidence is that in Louisiana they keep breaking the state record for Mako year after year. One of the first signs of overfishing is dissappearance of the larger specimens. I’ve heard of 3 Makos over 700 lbs caught this year out of Venice. 1 was over 1,000 lbs. That is not an idication of overfishing.

greg1,

do your own research or can you not figure it out?

Never though I would jump back into this one, but the large Apex predator sharks - makos, whites, tigers are in pretty sad shape. All the large coastal speceies have declined majorly. THe fact that only 4 Makos brought into VEnice in a year are over 700 lbs is not a good thing, that is actualy a very bad thing because those are beeders and that is prime breeding territtory. OUtlook grim.

It is a shame that someone killed either of those sharks and brought them in. Considering they are probably 10 years or older - thats a long time to swim and not find a hook these days! Small coastal sharks are abundant yes. Plenty of shaprnose and blacktip around. I know people that sell them, you get money ffor the meat on the dock and then you ship the fins off and get a check later for them depending on what the market was like that day.

I don’t care what anybody says, I have fished here for 25 years and pretty much EVERYTHING has declined. Use to be you couldn’t not catch fish, and who the hell cared about a king mackerel or an AJ?? We were trying to get away from them! THey were pests.

It is up to the individual to be a responsible, ethical fisherman not the Government - The Gov’t does not operate that way. In another 25 years we’ll be bragging about Cuda’s, I don’t kill em I let em go. I let sharks go to.

Chas’n born, Chas’n raised!

quote:

greg1,

I’ve sat down with marine biology professors and discussed it.

Go drop a hook behind a shrimp boat one day and see if you still think black tips, spinners, and bonnet heads are in trouble.

Despite what Pickn says, the continued appearance of GIANT makos off Louisiana is indication of healthy stocks.

Now, the ocean is vast and they are definitely overfishing sharks in some parts of the world…specifically the Japanese. However…in the Atlantic and in the Gulf there is no evidence (other than a couple shows on Animal Planet) of stock depletion. (If you have evidence, please post it, I would love to read it).

Remember…you can’t commercially fish for one species and not have it effect another. If you want to help the sharks don’t frett over the 25 or 30 you read about on the internet each year. Stop ordering fish at restaraunts. Remember…if the sharks don’t have anything to eat they die anyway.

Im confused. So we should just just catch large sharks, kill them, and dump them cause no one has proof they are declining? No matter if someone puts proof up someone else will call it bias and disagree so I do not blame anyone for not wanting to spend time trying to show evidence. If you really want to find evidence do your own research because their is a lot of research on the shark population dwindling.

How would ya’ll feel if I caught a 30 in Trout landed it took a bunch of pictures then cut the head off and threw it back? What about a large legal redfish that I caught just to put in the crab pot? What if I caught a swordfish just to cut the sword off so I could hang it on my wall but threw away the meat? I have harvested large sharks and anyone who can not find edible meat on a large shark doe snto deserve to fish for them and keep them. This arguement is studid and whether he was legal or not I think anyone that would kill an animal just for a set of fins and bragging rights is selfish. That is like me shooting a 200lb buck with a large rack just to cut the horns off and let the buzzards eat him. I hate seeing meat wasted so bad that if I witness a person hitting a deer I will pull over and try and save the meat so the deer didnt get wasted. I have spent 4 hours looking for a teal one time cause I know I killed it and did not want it to go to waste. I am only 24 years old but I sure hope that with my actions i can help preserve the future of fishing and hunting and I hope to influence others to do the same.

From reds to marlin you got it.
2001 210 Sea Fox
2009 Yamaha F150

2009 Skeeter 24V
2009 Yamaha F300 V8
(loaded)
(Team Boat)

Who said wasting the shark was OK?

Is that what you read from my post?

quote:
Originally posted by greg1

Who said wasting the shark was OK?

Is that what you read from my post?

No i did not read this from your thread. I am currently having this exact same debate on another fishing website here in Texas about killing large sharks for glory and ego trips and why it is wrong. I was just stressing that regardless if this is legal which I do not think it is, that we need to put our foot down on people wasting our ecosystem because they have insecurity problems. If this was a recreational fisherman then I do not think he should have been able to land that shark if he could not sell the meat. I am all for the commercial guys doing there job but I am also for conservation and them making a living but not hurting the fish population. Recreational guys and commercial guys can get to together and both work to keep fishing alive forever.

From reds to marlin you got it.
2001 210 Sea Fox
2009 Yamaha F150

2009 Skeeter 24V
2009 Yamaha F300 V8
(loaded)
(Team Boat)

quote:
Originally posted by greg1
quote:

greg1,

I’ve sat down with marine biology professors and discussed it.

Go drop a hook behind a shrimp boat one day and see if you still think black tips, spinners, and bonnet heads are in trouble.

Despite what Pickn says, the continued appearance of GIANT makos off Louisiana is indication of healthy stocks.

Now, the ocean is vast and they are definitely overfishing sharks in some parts of the world…specifically the Japanese. However…in the Atlantic and in the Gulf there is no evidence (other than a couple shows on Animal Planet) of stock depletion. (If you have evidence, please post it, I would love to read it).

Remember…you can’t commercially fish for one species and not have it effect another. If you want to help the sharks don’t frett over the 25 or 30 you read about on the internet each year. Stop ordering fish at restaraunts. Remember…if the sharks don’t have anything to eat they die anyway.

Do that in a month and see what you get. Every year when the commercial season opens the sharks seem to disappear. They only have a 2 week season here also. By the way you wont catch Bonnetheads behind shrimp boats.

http://www.advoutdoors.com/
INSHORE AND NEARSHORE FISHING TRIPS AVAILABLE.

http://www.alcaminc.com
For all your Welding and Fastener needs give us a call!

Well, there’s shrimp boats from texas to virginia and they do a fine job of keeping coastal sharks fat and happy.

Speaking of sharks, I saw 2 rednecks and a redlady coming into the Folly Ramp in a john boat loaded down with sharks. There must have been 40 atlantic sharpnose piled on the bow, some of them not even big enough to ride the big rides “just babies”. It made me sick and after double-checking with my fishing buddy that the law was still 2 atlantic sharpnose per person I jumped out of the truck and ran over to the jerkoffs as they were hastily fleeing the ramp before anyone took notice. I shouted at him and told him that they were only allowed 2 per person and that they should “leave and never come back”. These were rough looking folk and they didnt like that one bit.
I double-checked that my buddy was standing behind me and glanced over my shoulder to see him 100 yds back tying the boat down oblivious that I had left. Ignorant jerk #1 pointed at his commercial license and claimed it was ok because he was a commercial fisherman. After scratching my head and walking away happy to still have all my limbs, I went home and did some research. According to DNR a commercial fisherman must have a Highly Migratory Species permit to harvest migratory species such as swordfish, tuna, and shark which this guy clearly did not have. People like that just make me furious to keep every little thing they catch when its not only illegal but almost worthless to eat when its so tiny. Its a shame DNR wasnt at the ramp when I needed them.