15'ish foot Tiger Shark (Shem Creek) w/pics

CORNBRDO1-Why would you say he “clearly” not have his permit to harvest highly migratory species? Mine is not visible where YOU would see it

I don’t see why there is so much division on this subject. If you see something that might be illegal call operation game theif and report it - don’t take it into your own hands.
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/law/OGT.html

The DNR depends on tips like that for enforcement. THere use to be a lot of big sharks in Charleston Harbor. Big lemons, hammerheads, all kinds. they are just not around anymore very often.

Chas’n born, Chas’n raised!

Wow! I figured here of all places I would get some support for conservation but it seems some of you guys have nothing better to do than to pick an argument with anything anyone posts on here. Lets get one thing straight, I fully support commercial fishing even for sharks but not when some of the sharks would be undersized even for a flounder.

PicknFish:
didn’t you write in your last post “It is up to the individual to be a responsible, ethical fisherman not the Government - The Gov’t does not operate that way.”

First of all the guy came into the ramp drunk and cursing loudly while families with children looked at him and frowned. Then after he ran into the dock at high speed and his drunk accomplice almost falling into the water trying to tie off, the two of them really started belting out some swears.

This made me think that he wasnt the most ethical seaman and I knew that calling operation GAmeThief as he was burning rubber out of the parking lot would be a waste of time and I didnt have my portable sharpie and notepad in my back pocket to jot down his license #.

So I told him what I thought of what he was doing and to never come back, without seeing his HMS permit anywhere visible in the hopes that he thinks twice before he tries to pull that crap again. Im not scared to say what I feel and I think it is our right and duty as fisherman to keep useless individuals like that in check. I would do it all over again the same way and speak my mind for the fishes that dont have a voice. That night I went to bed and slept beautifully with a smile on my face dreaming about that redneck taking a warm bath with a toaster.

i don’t think anyone was jumping your case bud I just think they were saying that it would have been better to call operation gamethief. if you saw all that going on then it would have been real easy to call operation gamethief and give them the SC #'s on the side of the boat. i always carry a camera with me normally and I would not have a approached a drunken redneck by telling him to never come back cause that could ensue a bad arguement.

From reds to marlin you got it.
2001 210 Sea Fox
2009 Yamaha F150

2009 Skeeter 24V
2009 Yamaha F300 V8
(loaded)
(Team Boat)

All of the available science shows shark populations to behttp://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/innews/sharkplunge2003.htm way down.

All this BS aside Squalus is the man when it comes to shark. If I am correct and his first name is Rick he has probably caught more big sharks recreationally than everybody that has posted on the subject combined. Did a lot of tagging of them as well!

I hear you Squalus. I’ve heard similar and if it’s true it is disturbing. But I also keep hearing “best available science” and I don’t have much faith in that Science anymore.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how anybody can count the # of sharks in the ocean today…more less how they could’ve done it 40 years ago.

From the article:

"The researchers analyzed catch records from U.S. based longline fishing vessels seeking tuna and swordfish. While these vessels do not usually intend to catch sharks, which have limited value to them, they are required to report both their intended catch and their accidental catch, known as bycatch, to the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).

I don’t know many Commercial Fisherman but the ones I do know don’t really seem to care to report anything to NMFS if they don’t have to.

Greg, I really didn’t want to get too crazy about all this because I’ll end up sounding a little nuts, but here goes. I’ve been keeping records of every shark I’ve caught or seen since 1967. I even wrote a paper with graphs showing what we catch and when we catch it (sharks that is). Now I usually don’t go out much farther than a hundred feet, so I can’t say I’m the end all on the subject. My experience, backed up by my records shows a drastic reduction in numbers of larger sharks, beginning in the 80s. The blacktips seem to be doing OK, but the sandbars, bulls, tigers and hammerheads still seem to be largely missing in action.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. Do you shark fish commercially?

Not at all. I just go out and drift around bottom fishing and shark fishing, usually in pretty close. So that’s why I am not saying my records are the end of the discussion. Just what I’ve seen and recorded over many years of being addicted to shark fishing. But my records do coincide with “the available science”. I truly believe the larger sharks have been overfished.

10-4. Thanks for the input.

cornbread, be carefull with the confrontation things can easily go bad. Aproach casually and if you dont have a pen use a shell or stick to write it in the dirt. Let DNR handle it, no use making a bad situation worse. If these guys were plastered they are not going to realize what you’re doing playing the dirt. I’m sure if there were that many people at the landing someone would have had a phone. Life’s to short to go off half cocked. I know it’s appalling the language some use around kids, I guess it’s the price you pay for being in a public place?

Does nobody else find this amusing on cornbrd comments? He starts off being upset b/c somebody caught 40 sharks, also making a comment that somebody with a commercial license obviously didn’t have a HMS permit. I’m about 99% sure that if they have a COMMERCIAL license, they probably are smart enough to know they need their HMS. 2nd of all, Sharpnose have live young that are about 12" when born so saying that some of these were too small for flounder, I’d have to call BS on that too. To finally top it off, he tries to justify himself on this long rant that he didn’t mention 1 thing about in his original post by talking about how loud, obnoxious, rude, drunken, swearing like these individuals were. Some people, what they do when they “think” they are right. You’re lucky the SOB’s didn’t get out the truck and confront you directly or you could have been in over your head.

quote:
Originally posted by Plan C

my boat won’t even run without fried chicken and cold beer