198 Carolina Skiff offshore

I know this is a stupid question. I’m looking at a 2014 Carolina skiff 198 with 115 merc. Wanting to fish a little offshore I have a lot of boat experience and offshore. I know it’s not ideal but just wondering if anyone knows how the new skiffs ride and know what kind of water they can handle.

You would need a super calm day and Tidal Rails.

There is a fellow who brings his carolina skiff to the edisto 60 sometimes. He travels slow and steady, but when he gets there he fishes with the rest of us. We pass him on the way there, and we pass him on the way back. You’re going to take a long time, and you’re probably going to get wet. It’s not the optimal boat for the job.

It’s half weather, and half skill/personal comfort. If it were my boat, I would do it.

Mouth of the jetties up to a couple miles out gets sketchy on the best of days. Also, going by a container ship at the tip of the jetties would really suck too. Be careful.

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s “Wet Dream”

1994 Ken Craft 175CC 1998 Yamaha 115 “Dream Machine”

Probably would ride like a chuck wagon in any kind of wind more than light and variable

quote:
Originally posted by creekmonkey

Wanting to fish a little offshore I have a lot of boat experience and offshore. I know it’s not ideal but just wondering if anyone knows how the new skiffs ride and know what kind of water they can handle.

Your first statement contradicts your second…

I’ve fished offshore with a lot of people, ran their boat offshore. I’m now looking to get my own! Sorry about the contradiction! I own several boats just nothing big enough to fish offshore.

I’ll sell you a Sea hunt.

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

By offshore what do you mean? I use to run a 22’ Sundance skiff to many wrecks. Fished it in the ocean all the time. Just have to pick your days. I have fished a lot in a carolina skiff 19’. A 2014 model and I’m not very impressed with the new hull. It sits further in the water and takes a lot more power to push it. Needs a 150hp. The ride is smoother then the old hulls but don’t expect it to bust any waves.

(**() FB2, youre already trying to get rid of that rig??

If I’m posting, its because I’m sitting here at work, dreaming about fishing.

Mechanic, everything is for sale all the time for the right price :imp:

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

quote:
Originally posted by FLORIDA_BOY2

Mechanic, everything is for sale all the time for the right price :imp:

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

I 2nd that Mike. Everything I own (except my wife and kids, which I technically don’t own) is for sale. It’s just a matter of negotiating the price.

As a matter of fact I inherited a 6,000 watt generator that was converted to propane when I recently bought my house. Any interest from anyone? It’s not running and I don’t feel like messing with it.

Sorry to derail the thread. I would not take a Carolina Skiff offshore. That would be miserable. Heck, I probably wouldn’t take one across the Harbor. Not knocking them. They are great boats, that’s just the wrong application.

I appreciate all the ■■■■■■■■. I’m gonna hold off on that boat. Got my eye on something else.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:

Wanting to fish a little offshore I have a lot of boat experience and offshore. I know it’s not ideal but just wondering if anyone knows how the new skiffs ride and know what kind of water they can handle.

Your first statement contradicts your second…

#pouncingonnewguy

quote:

I’ve fished offshore with a lot of people, ran their boat offshore. I’m now looking to get my own! Sorry about the contradiction! I own several boats just nothing big enough to fish offshore.

Come on Creekmonkey! You’ve fished offshore a lot and now looking to get a skiff to fish offshore with?

They are great inshore with little chop, but even on the best day

9I’ve seen it go from slick to a washing machine), no way would I recomend offshore fishing in a skiff… even with tidal rails.

“Why Bruce?”

Ty peapod, but this is why I’ve account so long and only posted maybe two or three times.

I’m surprised it tool this long for said question.

Muddy water fisher… learn me somthin’
What is Tidal Rail? Haven’t heard the term and nothing comes up on google search

2002 Wellcraft 250CC Yam OX66

Tidal Rails. A true classic. Wish i could find a picture or screenshot of the original website

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=125356

quote:

Ty peapod, but this is why I’ve account so long and only posted maybe two or three times.

LOL, its true though.

quote:
Originally posted by millacd

Tidal Rails. A true classic. Wish i could find a picture or screenshot of the original website

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=125356

I wish I had purchased a prototype. You guys would be so envious right now! I could fish the ledge any day of the week.