1st time out

after getting several dives under my belt i finally got to take a crack at spearfishing in georgia waters. both dives were in about 55 feet with sunken M60 tanks at one dive site and a tugboat at another. at the sunken tanks was sheephead city with several over 20" to be found. there were several others i my group, but i ended up getting 2 that were 18" and 22". at the tugboat there werent as many sheephead, but a lot more smaller fish to watch along with a couple massive gag grouper that were out of season of course. every time i found a fat sea bass of course it would disappear into the wreck. others found a few flounder around, but i didnt get any of those. i also saw a few weakfish mixed in along with some small mangrove snapper. after making a few laps a pair of big spadefish came by and i was able to pick one off. as i was stringing that up along comes a stingray the size of the hood of my truck with 4 cobia below it. none looked to be legal sized and im not comfortable shooting a cobia yet by any stretch. on the way up i had about a 2 foot remora hang out for a while. ill put pictures up later hopefully with several more trips to come.

Sounds like a great time. Keep it on the safe side!

NN

the resulting sheephead, spadefish, and flounder. keeping it on the safe side is definitely the plan. i had no problems handling myself with sheephead and hope to get out again in the near future.

more pictures from the dive as well…

gag grouper and sheephead

random little fish around the stern of a tugboat

sting kong with 4 cobia below it

remora that hung out at the safety stop

small sea bass

school of small spadefish…maybe 8" each

sunken M60 battle tank

either a conch or whelk bigger than a basketball. if anyone knows what that actually is feel free to correct me.

horse conch

thanks natureboy. googled horse conch and apparently yo can eat the things. granted ive had conch fritters at restaurants and liked them fine but anyone here ever dive, keep one, and try one?