2018 Tundra vs Titan

I’m days away from locking one in I think. I’m disappointed with a few things as I spec it out though.

No push button start. Don’t need it, just kind of wanted it.
No remote start, unless you sign up for the Etune service and then you use your phone. It doesn’t add any features, just turns it on from you phone. Should be able to control the A/C from your phone if that’s the way it is setup. This seems like a waste to me and a chinsy revenue stream for Toyota. Probably also feeds data back to them about performance/usage, etc. If they want that data, should give me the service.

I almost like the Titans, but can’t quite decide to even go ride in one. I had a Maxima as a young college grad, been Toyotas ever since. 100kmile warranty from the Titan is tempting, but no sunroof option exists. I’d rather have a sunroof than push button start.

Anyone care to weigh in?

BG

Tundra is an old platform. They should be overhauling it very soon.

As to the remote start. Once you purchase and get the Entune for the first few months the truck should remote start with the key fob. And then continue to work there after. That’s how our Lexus worked. The dealer stated no remote start, only through the app. But after purchase, I did the lock button sequence on the remote that works for all other Toyotas and it remote starts. Use it about everyday.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

The titans are uglier than a 70’s Dodge. I like the Cummins though.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Tundra is an old platform. They should be overhauling it very soon.

As to the remote start. Once you purchase and get the Entune for the first few months the truck should remote start with the key fob. And then continue to work there after. That’s how our Lexus worked. The dealer stated no remote start, only through the app. But after purchase, I did the lock button sequence on the remote that works for all other Toyotas and it remote starts. Use it about everyday.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I expect it to be overhauled soon, which I'd hate to get the last year of a model, but I'd also not get the first year anymore. I had a first model of the newest Tacoma version (2005) and it had at least one issue that was due design learning curves. The head gasket in that first year had a common failure rate, mine was one of them.

I wonder about the remote start via fob. Forums say that no remote fob start exists, only the app. You literally push a “button” on a screen in the app to get it to start. I’d like for my A/C to be on in the summer and the heat to be on in the winter. According to things I read about older models, the range was such that I could start it from my house or my office. I’m positive I’d use it all of the time.

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

This is what I think. I can't quite love that block look. I don't think I'm quite man enough to need a diesel though.

BG

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

Toyota will be introducing a new Tundra in the near future and more than likely have that same baby Cummins in it as an option. They need to do something with a diesel soon or they’ll fall behind.

I loved the Cummins in my RAM 2500, still sort of miss it until I drive the F250 and get a back and butt massage while I’m driving.

For resale and longevity of the rest of the vehicle, I’d go Toyota over Nissan though. Never had good luck with a Nissan other than the engines. The rest of the vehicle fell apart especially the seats and electronics.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Nissan has a 100k warranty though… seems hard to ignore that.

I just had a Toyota dealer shoot me a cut sheet for a Tundra that made me tell him to get ready, I’m coming!

BG

Your previous AC settings will run when you remote start. No adjustments in the app. It allows to lock/unlock, remote start and locate the vehicle. It also tells you the fuel level.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I can remote start my Chevy from the fob and/or from an app. It is a nice feature when you want to cool the truck down in the summer or warm it up in the winter. Now if they could only somehow connect my seat warmers and seat A/C to that function.

“…be a man and PM me.”

On mine if the seat warmers were on when last turned off, they come on with the remote start. Same for the seat a/c.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

You guys are spoilt,don’t know how we survived without all this technology,ha ha.

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

I can remote start my Chevy from the fob and/or from an app. It is a nice feature when you want to cool the truck down in the summer or warm it up in the winter. Now if they could only somehow connect my seat warmers and seat A/C to that function.

“…be a man and PM me.”

We started the car hunt looking for my wife something new, I was going to take her Sequoia and she get whatever she wanted. Ended up, she just wants to keep her Sequoia. We road in all sorts of crossovers last week. One of them had a/c seats… it was something special. Would be amazing during the summer! Tundra doesn’t have this option though, dang!

Also, one of them didn’t need the key to be out of your pocket for anything. When you walked up, it unlocked and you could start it if you were in the car. When you walked away (key with you), it locked the car. I think it was the Acura MDX.

She used to hate how big the Sequoia was (bought it to pull a boat and haul kids initially). Now she loves it, said if anything she’d take another Sequoia. Doesn’t make sense to have 2 in the family, so I’ll give my dad my well worn truck and I’ll get a new one.

BG

quote:
Originally posted by btodag

Nissan has a 100k warranty though… seems hard to ignore that.

I just had a Toyota dealer shoot me a cut sheet for a Tundra that made me tell him to get ready, I’m coming!

BG

With today’s vehicles, you are unlikely to see a failure up to 100K. What’s going to break will usually do it in the first 20,000 or so. Most all dealers offer a supplemental Warranty at a low cost if that is your worry. I’d take the Tundra over the Titan. I’ve always been a Ford man and still have a few, but Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, heck even Hyundai all make a good product with their own unique quirks.

quote:
Originally posted by sman

You guys are spoilt,don’t know how we survived without all this technology,ha ha.

I don’t need those things but they sure are nice to have. There’s a reason not all toilet paper is single ply. Sure, single ply will get the job done but I’m reaching for the Charmin Ultra over the one ply every single time. :wink:

“…be a man and PM me.”

quote:
quote:

“…be a man and PM me.”

We started the car hunt looking for my wife something new, I was going to take her Sequoia and she get whatever she wanted. Ended up, she just wants to keep her Sequoia. We road in all sorts of crossovers last week. One of them had a/c seats… it was something special. Would be amazing during the summer! Tundra doesn’t have this option though, dang!

Also, one of them didn’t need the key to be out of your pocket for anything. When you walked up, it unlocked and you could start it if you were in the car. When you walked away (key with you), it locked the car. I think it was the Acura MDX.

She used to hate how big the Sequoia was (bought it to pull a boat and haul kids initially). Now she loves it, said if anything she’d take another Sequoia. Doesn’t make sense to have 2 in the family, so I’ll give my dad my well worn truck and I’ll get a new one.

BG

Don’t let her drive a Land Cruiser. You’ll never find another SUV you like.

You should be able to get giblet warmers and coolers in the Platinum level of any of them.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality go

quote:

Yeah, I miss corner windows and the hi-low beam switch under your left foot.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:
quote:

“…be a man and PM me.”

BG

Don’t let her drive a Land Cruiser. You’ll never find another SUV you like.

You should be able to get giblet warmers and coolers in the Platinum level of any of them.

Mark
Ye

quote:
Originally posted by dparker677
quote:

Yeah, I miss corner windows and the hi-low beam switch under your left foot.

Removing the hi/low switch under the left foot was the dumbest move ever. It made perfect sense.

However… the Tundra does supposedly switches the brights on/off automatically.

BG

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo Land Cruisers and Lexus GX/LX are about the best you can do for an all around SUV. There are many that do some things better, but none that do so many things so well. Stay away from the MDX. Many problems with the drive trains on those as well as some of the Honda’s. Honda has always had trans problems.

A new Sequoa is coming as well. So she should be good in another year or so.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

We drove a Lexus 460 and she immediately balked at the price/value after the drive. She’s a good wife like that but realistically, it wasn’t anything special at all. I wanted to get her a BMW, Benz, etc because she deserves something upper shelf, but she didn’t like any of the “luxury” versions at all. BMW was too small and just didn’t even want to drive a benz.

I bet the Land Crusier would have made her think twice, but those things are a bit higher than even I would encourage her to look at. They start in the $80’s!

BG

Everybody is different. That’s why they make so many different models. The 460 is made in Japan still where so many Yotas are made here and started having quality issues starting with your old Tacoma. I had one too. There is night and day difference between the USA yotas and the Japanese imports. I’ve owned a lot of Toyotas and our 460 has the highest fit/finish and smoothness of anything I have driven or owned.

I would gladly pay a $10k premium for the smooth ride and refined drivetrain alone. But some would rather not.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I only use the remote start (app or fob) in the winter on my Chevy Silverado and it always kicks on the heat and seat heaters, no matter what it was set on when I shut off. Have never used it in the summer.