2022 gardens

Really cut back on Garden this year due to frustration with deer. Got my first squash yesterday and have a few small potatoes, but they need a few more weeks.

1 Like

Got to love the garden, two days later and these. Tomorrow or Saturday I should have triple. Dry as heck, have to keep it watered. next up should have a bunch of garlic, then potatoes and peanuts will fill the void on the Potato rows.

I like this drag over picture stuff!! Maybe some new life in this sight! Been playing around here since 2008.

Those are some nice straightnecks, and your wife has such dainty hands too. Does she drink that dark beer in this hot weather?

I see you like big zukes just as much as the giant turnips :rofl:

My corn is about an inch or two up, keeping a close eye on the crows for now. My taters are just coming in enough to see the rows. My squash and zukes just went into hills the first of this week.

I am always envious of your early stuff, you guys are a month ahead of me usually. When it gets hot as Africa down there and only the okra is going gangbusters, well, thats when my stuff starts working me to death.

Im jealous. Real good looking stuff there Fred! Even EF’s asparagus is on point. All I have growing is grass and weeds, an all out battle of sorts. It’s been a 2 year struggle but I’m stsrting to get some desirable results…

We can’t have a dang garden, the deer eat everything. They even ate a newly planted azalea we planted a few weeks ago.

EF, I really don’t understand your disdain for large vegetables. As long as the seeds are tiny the bigger the better on squash. Really bro, you are so far off on the big turnips and such. I really wonder are you just messing with me or really don’t know? On the larger Zukes… they are wonderful, as long as the skin doesn’t get tough and they don’t go to seed. Got any taters ready? I had to scrable and get a mess. Got a ton of garlic that needs digging. The larger Zukes are great for stuffing and making bread.

I love a good dark beer as long as it’s cold, can’t do like my Grandfather and drink it hot.

It is a well known fact that women prefer/enjoy certain larger sized homegrown garden vegetables…

Second year of garden in new location. Had to move it from one side of the yard to the other because of trees shading out the sun and roots running amuck. so far so good. Small but still productive.

first year for garlic for me, wife always says onions are cheap but garlic ain’t (and we are limited on space but use a lot of both), so i maxed the space i had with about 50 heads. just fell over, time to cure and attempt braiding it for the kitchen.

tomatoes are coming in, cukes are there. peppers want it hotter. when i turn over the allium plot, it’s getting edamame and Malabar spinach (not spinach, actually an asian vine that tastes like it and loves hot weather)

separate plot has permelons, an heirloom hard squash from W Va that goes back to native american times apparently. huge, like 15-20lb squash that you can store all winter. should be fun.

Nice Barbawang, you got me beat on cucumbers, mine just started blooming. Nice looking Tomatoes Longenuff.

Stumpnocker… that’s a heck of a beautiful lawn! I can tell lot’s of work in that.

I really messed up on the wife’s porch tomatoes. I was given some liquid “pop up” fertilizer and did not dilute it enough. Burnt em up. They my come back out, most of the leaves turned black.

Getting there…

Aside from moving to a cooler climate, how might I grow larger garlic in the future? Not a big fan of elephant “garlic”, I did mostly California white (softneck) this year with mixed results

3 pints of spicy pickled red onions, the initial brown color is because of a small partial substitution of Chinese black vinegar, but the whole thing turns a gorgeous deep purple after a week or two. Think I have enough for another batch if they turn out as good as last year’s. Goes great next to/on a pulled pork sammich

1 Like

Very cool. I love garlic on almost everything. May have to try to grow some.

Picked our first cucumbers. Ordered some Heirloom Jumbo Peanut seed from Virginia. They are going to go where the taters were.

So, garlic dill, bread and butter, what?

Hey Stump that’s a nice looking lawn. On my long list of things I gotta do, can you tell me a good seed and most likely place to get it? Thanks

The first round went into mayo and rye sandwiches, sliced and eaten whole, and put into a salad. When we get them rolling wife does pickles… lot’s of pickles. I think I’ve out grown the bread and butter, my sweet tooth just doesn’t care for sweet stuff as much. I’ve still got some dill in the freezer, but first time in years I don’t have any fresh. Too many projects and getting side tracked.

this was from last year, the wife uses her Polish Grandmom’s recipe.

Bay… yep Stump has a good looking lawn!! Where you are at, it’s gonna cost you a ton in the water bill to keep it looking good. Just go with what comes up and keep it cut low. Even weeds look good trimmed up nice. :smile:

:joy: rain is free! Got a couple of big patches of centipede going which came on its own but a 50 lb bag is $300 online. Seeded some Bermuda back a while ago after we cleared the trees and stumps. I do have my share of weeds. Spent the day with a cool old veteran at a cookout. I’ll text you his name to see if you recognize him.

I run the St. Augustine, Bay. I tried centipede at my last house and it was hell to keep up with more than the St.! Bonus S then turf builder is all I’ve done so far. But thanks! Wish I had about 4 or 5 times the yard and I would have a garden for sure! Luckily several of the retired gents in the neighborhood have gardens all around and they usually offload their overflow on us. Its cool, ill take it👍

Fred described my yard to a T.

Keep your weeds mowed down short it don’t look so bad.
I washed in a well a couple years ago. . Have have sprinkler heads, piping and timer. I just don’t seem to manage my time very well several projects sitting around half done.