2022 gardens

Just got a mator from the first batch from Wadmalaw at the Hollywood Pizza with adjoining produce market

best pizza in these here parts!

My wife would love me if I could find some maters that actually had some taste. All the grocery store maters taste like water.

what will break your heart is watching the workers in the Tomato fields Picking all the red tomatoes and throwing them on the ground. They have to ship them Green, that’s why your store tomatoes don’t have near the flavor of a Vine ripened tomato.

Nothing like fresh Tomatoes, okra, squash, onion, garlic, and corn(cut of the cob) stewed together!

Yeah, I have family that farmed tomatoes, squash, cukes and melons down in the Beaufort area. We would go after the last pick and fill the bed of my grandfather’s truck with produce. My grandmother and aunt would stew and can tomatoes and other stuff. We ate so much of the stewed tomatoes that we’d get ulcers in our mouth. Nothing like a fresh tomato sandwich on white bread.

Having good neighbors helps when you don’t have a garden… several fellas have gardens around the blocks and in the powerline right of way, love it when they share the bounty. Got these dropped off last evening.

First attempt from my phone… let’s see if this works

Oh how fancy!

Clay peas popping after 8 days.

Rhubarb

Raspberries

Potatoes

Onions

Zukes

Pole beans

Butter Beans

Late Corn

Time to start thawing out supper, got company coming from the holy city and beyond. (Round-O)

Good Times

1 Like

Fred and I are a stones throw away from round o and could of car pooled? OTC wants to come with a prospect and her dog in his side car.

:joy::rofl::blush:

I need some grits from the milling company and 5lbs of cracked pecans. They have good ones down around that penny pincher place

G Boys? You got a charge account there?

I can’t grow rhubarb in the garden the sun cooks it. But the wife has a couple of plants in pots that we keep in the shade. Ever have your rhubarb start flowering? First year it’s ever done this.

Ricky, what are you doing to keep the deer out of them?!!

1 Like

I’m sure glad someone’s getting blueberries EF. Mine may have produced 5% after the late freeze we had. My philosophy on Blueberries is plant enough to feed us and the birds, but this year we both got hosed.

1 Like

My little blueberry bush is loaded down. I see some blueberry muffins in my very near future.

1 Like

Nothing. The deer have found them and eaten 75% of them. They will regrow some, but never fully recover. I plan to plant strips about 5-6 weeks apart so that the deer always have fresh growth. Once the peas get so mature, they don’t really beat the plants up so bad. Its that early first 3-4 weeks of growth that the deer love. After that, they just randomly graze on them.

I planted sunflowers again yesterday. I know I’m a little late. Lime applied this year followed by fertilizer, so we’ll see what happens. I have not been very successful growing them, but I’m determined to get a dove field at some point!

Old saying about sunflowers, fertilize them like corn spray them like beans (soybeans)

Used to use a variety called Dove Blend that was a mix of different varieties to stagger maturity. Deer will literally wipe out an entire field. Insects usually May Beetle larvae will bore into new emerging plants just below the surface, planter box insecticide is helpful along with a permethrin in the pre-emergent spray. Birds and coons will eat the seed right down the row.

They’re a challenging food plot but nothing exceeds their effectiveness for great shoots.

Good luck with yours!