5-5 Lazy Rigger

Left Shem at 4:20. Witnessed the biggest f-up by a professionalCaptain I have ever seen. We were pushing through the channel as a large steamer entered the the mouth of the rocks. We were hugging the green cans to stay clear as he was moving fast (thanks to whomever posted about the wake the other morning). About 400yds from the ship we get BLASTED three times from the bridge. I immediately try to figure out what I am doing wrong, and I headed outside the cans to be safe. As I look off the port, unbelievablly, I see a “Sporty” at 25knts headed into the bow of the ship. Again the triple warning signal, another few seconds, and finally the “Sporty” made a hail mary turn to starboard, just avoiding disaster. I could see the floor of the cockpit as he was leaned all the way over to save the crew and the charter. I screamed obsenities at the top of my lungs. Let me tell you, I have rarely felt anger like that. I wanted to rip his throat out, and probablly would have if given the chance. The “Sporty” boogied out of the rocks (poste haste), he wasn’t hanging around to give interviews, if you know what I mean. Anyway, we have the name of the boat and are trying to decide what, if anything, to do about it. This guy should lose his citation. He almost killed 8 people(approximation), probably because he wasn’t at the helm. All we could talk about on the way out was having to fish bodies out of the wash of that steamer. What was he thinking?
Anyway, I thought the local fishing community deserved to know about what happened, and I will look to more seasoned vets to pass final judgement on this guy. Iwould love to hear his side of things.
Actual fishing report:
So, we headed out to 200ft between the outcrop and SW banks at 25knts on a flattish ocean and moved up to 35knts when it was light enough to see. Lines in at 7:15, and nothing for 2 hrs. We picked up a wahoo (20lbs +/-) at 9:30 in about 300 ft. Had two more knock downs and we left at 10:30 to head inshore. I couldn’t help but think we shot a gap today, and I didn’t

you are going to wish you came over when you see my post!

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

I knew it. I sensed your presence, next time I will say “Howdy”.

Lazy Rigger,

Glad you got out there. It was a pleasure to meet you and your son at Boaters World on Saturday. I hope you got some goods for your boat.

The instance you had on the way out probably happens more than we all realize. I saw the exact same thing happen two years ago. I was following behind a ~100ft yatch at 3:30 am when I finally had to stop because I realized the captain of the yatch did not know what the heck he was doing when he was approaching a hugh ship that was coming into jettys. After several warning blast from the ship (and me trying to hail him on the radio) the yatch either scraped noses with the ship or made a sharp turn just in the nick of time. I seriousley thought the yatch was going to roll over in the water. I braced for the impact that was coming and just knew that I was going to be pulling bodies out of the water that morning. Fortunatley the coast guard was right there guiding this ship in and was all over him as soon as it happend. I hope the coast guard threw the book at him.

Again, glad to hear you got out there and caught a few fish. The water temp will warm up soon.

2550 Bluewater W/ a pair of 200 Etecs -
N 2 Deep

I will not get into a battle of wits with a man who is completely unarmed!

Smithj6-
Nice to meet ya’ll too. Henry kept asking me about you guys for the rest of the day. It is always nice to put a face with a poster. Did you guys get that sounder unit you were looking at?
As for the big boat, I hope that Capt offered up a free charter or something. I am sure there were more than bruised ego’s on that boat, and I am sure you are right about it happening more than we think. It was truely and awesome sight to see a boat that big cut that hard, but very unnerving with a massive ship on top of it.
Thanks Scoutin’ for putting up the picture. Greg looks a little blocked up or something.

If your going to question a captains ability at least call them by name :wink:

Question? There was no question.
He made a mistake, a huge mistake, but it’s one we all could make. I wouldn’t want someone naming me, so…

That is some scary crap right there! Boating in Ft.Lauderdale and Miami my whole life I have seen that happen way too many times to remember…also thanks for the report on the fishing :smiley:

-Brett

quote:
Originally posted by You Betcha

Left Shem at 4:20. Witnessed the biggest f-up by a professionalCaptain I have ever seen. We were pushing through the channel as a large steamer entered the the mouth of the rocks. We were hugging the green cans to stay clear as he was moving fast (thanks to whomever posted about the wake the other morning). About 400yds from the ship we get BLASTED three times from the bridge. I immediately try to figure out what I am doing wrong, and I headed outside the cans to be safe. As I look off the port, unbelievablly, I see a “Sporty” at 25knts headed into the bow of the ship. Again the triple warning signal, another few seconds, and finally the “Sporty” made a hail mary turn to starboard, just avoiding disaster. I could see the floor of the cockpit as he was leaned all the way over to save the crew and the charter. I screamed obsenities at the top of my lungs. Let me tell you, I have rarely felt anger like that. I wanted to rip his throat out, and probablly would have if given the chance. The “Sporty” boogied out of the rocks (poste haste), he wasn’t hanging around to give interviews, if you know what I mean. Anyway, we have the name of the boat and are trying to decide what, if anything, to do about it. This guy should lose his citation. He almost killed 8 people(approximation), probably because he wasn’t at the helm. All we could talk about on the way out was having to fish bodies out of the wash of that steamer. What was he thinking?
Anyway, I thought the local fishing community deserved to know about what happened, and I will look to more seasoned vets to pass final judgement on this guy. Iwould love to hear his side of things.
Actual fishing report:
So, we headed out to 200ft between the outcrop and SW banks at 25knts on a flattish ocean and moved up to 35knts when it was light enough to see. Lines in at 7:15, and nothing for 2 hrs. We picked up

Must have good eyes to see the name at 400 yards @ 4:45 or so.

big dog

And three blasts are not the danger signal.

Does any one know what three short blasts are??

Pencils up.

big dog

Bost using stern propulsion and they are backing up?

http://www.advoutdoors.com/
INSHORE AND NEARSHORE FISHING TRIPS AVAILABLE.

http://www.alcaminc.com
For all your Welding and Fastener needs give us a call!

quote:
Originally posted by Wando Grill

And three blasts are not the danger signal.

Does any one know what three short blasts are??

Pencils up.

big dog

I bet that Tugted fella knows…

quote:
Originally posted by duckcommander I know my quads would never fit in those pants without a whole lot of lubrication.
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Bost using stern propulsion and they are backing up?

Ding Ding…we have a winner.

big dog

So the big “steamer” was backing into the harbor? Whats that all about? I bet that big “sporty” knew exactly where the “steamer” was.

Yeah, that’s one way to put it. He knew where it was all right.
Maybe he was taking a “steamer” and took another one when he heard the horn blowing.

Either way the guy had to make a drastic course correction. In the heat of the moment it may have been more blasts than what I reported, but I think you get the idea. If what you are taking away from what was posted is the number of horn blasts, then you have missed the boat(sorry). What’s important is to be ■■■■ careful running through the rocks.
VonK, I didn’t just fall off the apple cart. We both grew up here and I have been on your boat. He may have known where it was when he left the bridge(if that’s what happened) but he got complacent and that is why I posted it here. And my freinds in the shipping business call them steamships. Thx.

Its von K

quote:
Originally posted by Wando Grill

Must have good eyes to see the name at 400 yards @ 4:45 or so.

big dog

Lets get this straight. You were 4 football fields away from the ship and had turned starboard to clear the cans. Sporty turned starboard as well so his stern was away from you. You picked up the name of such sporty, the number of crew on the sporty and all in the dark?

Just trying to understand what happened cappy.

big dog

I have never posted on this site before but have wanted to many of times. this one has forced my hand. I believe I was on that sporty and just so you know we were aware of the location of the “steamer”
a 1/2 mile before we hit the jetties. Have you ever heard of this thing called radar you should look into it. You probably could not understand how to work it since you can’t figure out how to get pictures off you camara. I bet you took the wake really bad since you idled back. If you were so angry, why did you not radio the sporty to voice your opinion? Please tell me you don’t go offshore without a radio.The charter never woke up after we left the dock and there were three on the bridge the capt. the mate and myself and I did not even spill my coffee. You should just call out this sporty and then this matter will be put to rest.