A few groceries on the way in from swording 10/6

I got off work Fri and went to Edisto where my cousins and another buddy had been catching live bait and getting the boat ready all day. Boat has been out of commission (at mechanic’s shop and then resulting issues being sorted out) for about 6 months now, and this was the first long range trip we have had a chance to put on her. I knew of a few other boats that planned to be swordfishing Friday, so I felt like we could pull it off with the nice weather.

Hit the ocean about 5:30 or so, and it was slow going for a while with a NE wind having it chopped up. After 20 miles or so we were able to stretch it out a little, and by the time we got to the stream it was laying down nicely.

Got out into swordville in time to have baits out as the moon came up. Made a 3kt drift with flyers and other life in the light almost immediately, and a well defined thermocline split showing on the sonar. No bites after 5 miles, so we picked up and ran to a different area. No bites again on that drift. Everyone was starting to nap as the excitement wore off, and I just knew a rod was going to go off soon. Called DG34YF on the radio and he said they had nothing going on but sharks where he’d been. Made another drift over another area, and still nothing. Called DG again to see if they’d found anything. Hooked up with another shark his crew told me. So I stayed away from where I figured he was from what I could understand.

We watched a storm line grow between us and the ledge around 3AM, and I wanted to be on a grouper spot at sunrise. We couldn’t make out what the storms were doing on the radar, and we don’t have sirius weather yet. Tried to get another boat on the VHF to ask them what their thoughts were on the storm, but the other boat didn’t answer. We moved down way south despite having more darkness and fishing time for the swords. Turns out swords were being caught still, so my mistake not going to better water and continuing to fish.

We were all pretty bummed out about putting the time and gas into swording and not e

Thanks for sharing the trip and information with all of us.

“The problem that infuriates you the most is the one you are meant to solve.”

Sounds like a good time!

2004 Cape Horn 31
twin yamaha 300 hpdi’s

Cape Horn 24OS Sold!
twin 150 Optimax

I don’t want to be rich,
I just want 1 dollar more than I can spend!

Nice fish!

Still better than staying on the hill and NOT trying for swords! Thanks for the report!

It’s always worth a shot. If you don’t try it won’t happen. Glad to see y’all got out. Better luck next time. Good looking SailFish boat.

2000 2220 KeyWest CC 225ox66 “Drippin Wet”

You can’t catch them sitting on the hill, nice catch Wes.

If it got any better I couldn’t stand it.

You been doing good on the big lion fish! :smiley:

I knew Jason was installing new Simrad electronics but 6 months of work on his motors?? Bet he was not happy about that.

Glad you made it out. Need to come on the All Rise and do the sword thing sometime, really want to try that!

Set the trap boys, we going to pass through them again!!

Nice haul of brownfish there.
Sure got cool close to that nasty weather.

Darn shark had our other 3 lines all gathered up.
He wouldn’t even open wide for us to remove an $8 hook.

quote:
Originally posted by DG34YF

Nice haul of brownfish there.
Sure got cool close to that nasty weather.

Darn shark had our other 3 lines all gathered up.
He wouldn’t even open wide for us to remove an $8 hook.

I heard about all the “sharks” you caught. :wink:

Set the trap boys, we going to pass through them again!!

Nice Job on the fish and know the Grouper will taste good!! Better luck on the swords next time.

That is a exciting trip even without the sword you were looking for.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

Nice haul there for sure!

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

http://www.facebook.com/RussbMaritimeServices

Looks like a good trip there Phin. Thanks for posting. Glad you guys made it out and back safely.

Nice catch phin!! :wink:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Nice haul of fish there Wes. Sorry I missed you Thursday night.

nice work…how much ice did you have to use?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Nice. Those blue avets look sharp…

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

nice work…how much ice did you have to use?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

600#s of course!!:wink:

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

Good job, Wes. Glad y’all had a safe trip.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”